Our slumping QB

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Witten one yes, not so much the Dez one.
Yeah throws into double coverage on the goaline are routine. Yuu might want to seriously consider the possibility that you either don't understand QB performance or have allowed your preconceived notions to blind you because that was a throw he was criticized for not being able to complete and it went for six points.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yeah throws into double coverage on the goaline are routine. Yuu might want to seriously consider the possibility that you either don't understand QB performance or have allowed your preconceived notions to blind you because that was a throw he was criticized for not being able to complete and it went for six points.

It wasn't a bad throw, but it wasn't great. A better throw would have gotten there quicker and not made Bryant tip toe to get in.

When did someone say he couldn't make that throw?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
What is funny is that if you go look at the stats, the only one that Dak is a league leader in is TD passes. Almost all the other main stats, he is middle of the pack or worse. YPA, yards, comp %...it was actually kind of stunning.
Most of what keeps Dak's passer rating as low as it is (if you can call 98.2, 8th in the NFL "low") is Dez's targets, which have a passer rating of 74.4 and make up a large portion of Dak's attempts.

YPA
to Bryant 5.7
to others 7.3

Comp %
to Bryant 48.3
to others 68.2

Passer Rating
to Bryant 74.4*
to others 106.3

Share of targets
Bryant 28.6%
Witten 20.7%
Williams 13.8%
Beasley 13.8%**

*Last year, Prescott's passer rating on Bryant's targets was 106.6

**Beasley's targets have a 78.4 rating also, but make up a much smaller share of the total attempts, and suffer from an INT vs. the Rams that probably should not have been assigned a target anyway, as Dak's arm was hit on the throw.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep. The two others were big boy throws that should make any Dak doubters sit down, be humble.

I especially enjoyed him putting the throw to Dez where Bryant could go up and get it. It wasn't a jump-ball situation, but I hope they can build that kind of trust and rapport to take advantage of one of the things Dez does best. (Of course, it's easier to do that when the run game is going and defenses can't give extra attention to Dez because they know we have to pass in certain situations.)

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
It wasn't a bad throw, but it wasn't great. A better throw would have gotten there quicker and not made Bryant tip toe to get in.

When did someone say he couldn't make that throw?
You just confirmed you have no idea what you're talking about. It was into double coverage on the goal line. If he threw it any quicker it's a pick. The defense settled on the slant, Dak recognizes their strategy and places a perfect ball that only one person on the field and maybe five guys in the world can catch for a TD.

Inability to throw to Dez in the end zone was a consistent critique.

ALBIT

Reaction score
It's directed at Romo fanboys who refuse to give credit to Dak for anything and will only look at the negative plays that he makes to prove your point.

Romo fanboys?? It has nothing to do with Dak. I just find it funny how people here , the media, analysts, fans never gave Romo the buffer that Dak gets. Dak played great it was not his fault. But when when Romo played it was always Romo sucks blah blah blah. Thats what drives me crazy. It has nothing to do with Dak. When dallas lost it was always Romo fault. which is a total joke. Romo was so good he made awful Cowboy teams much better than they ever were. But i never heard Romo played great but the defense sucked etc. Since Dak got here its always the defense , the o line, the running game fault. Romo never had that luxury. This has nothing to do with liking Dak or not. Im just making a point. Thats all. So when you say Romo fan boys that makes me laugh.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Romo fanboys?? It has nothing to do with Dak. I just find it funny how people here , the media, analysts, fans never gave Romo the buffer that Dak gets. Dak played great it was not his fault. But when when Romo played it was always Romo sucks blah blah blah. Thats what drives me crazy. It has nothing to do with Dak. When dallas lost it was always Romo fault. which is a total joke. Romo was so good he made awful Cowboy teams much better than they ever were. But i never heard Romo played great but the defense sucked etc. Since Dak got here its always the defense , the o line, the running game fault. Romo never had that luxury. This has nothing to do with liking Dak or not. Im just making a point. Thats all. So when you say Romo fan boys that makes me laugh.
What are you talking about? The media and many fans have been downplaying what Dak has done from day one. It is the surrounding talent, he will regress when there is more film on him, this game will be the real test...sound familiar? Yeah, the media and some fans were slow coming around on Tony but it was in no way to the level you claim, nor has Dak been immune to it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You just confirmed you have no idea what you're talking about. It was into double coverage on the goal line. If he threw it any quicker it's a pick. The defense settled on the slant, Dak recognizes their strategy and places a perfect ball that only one person on the field and maybe five guys in the world can catch for a TD.

Inability to throw to Dez in the end zone was a consistent critique.

I didn't say Dak had to have thrown it sooner. I said he could have gotten it to Dez sooner. There is a difference. He lobbed the pass. If he had more zip on it, it gets to Dez before the defenders have a chance to close and almost get him out of bounds. You see, he didn't have to make it a throw that so few WRs could have a shot at. A better pass is not almost incomplete.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I didn't say Dak had to have thrown it sooner. I said he could have gotten it to Dez sooner. There is a difference. He lobbed the pass. If he had more zip on it, it gets to Dez before the defenders have a chance to close and almost get him out of bounds. You see, he didn't have to make it a throw that so few WRs could have a shot at. A better pass is not almost incomplete.
No he couldn't. If he didn't lob it either of the defenders could have caught it. You're blinded by your bias. If your argument is based on valuing a hypothetical over what actually happened you don't have one.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No he couldn't. If he didn't lob it either of the defenders could have caught it. You're blinded by your bias. If your argument is based on valuing a hypothetical over what actually happened you don't have one.

Watch it again, please. Look at the position of the defenders, how they were facing, the position Dez had gained on them, and consider things such as the speed of the ball and reaction time. Then, eliminate your bias.

Valuing a hypothetical over what happened? I guess we can never discuss any play then.

ALBIT

Reaction score
What are you talking about? The media and many fans have been downplaying what Dak has done from day one. It is the surrounding talent, he will regress when there is more film on him, this game will be the real test...sound familiar? Yeah, the media and some fans were slow coming around on Tony but it was in no way to the level you claim, nor has Dak been immune to it.

Who are you listening to? I have heard mostly positive things about Dak from people. The NFL network 12 hr exhausting pregame show on sunday said word for word that Dak is not the problem. Its the rest of team. My point if that was 4 to 5 years ago Romo would have never gotten that luxury. Actually I heard that same guy say Romo just cant get it done a few years back. Its a joke how Dak gets a pass and Romo never did. And ill stress again. This is not an anti Dak thing. Not at all. My only point was exactly what I said in my thread I started

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Watch it again, please. Look at the position of the defenders, how they were facing, the position Dez had gained on them, and consider things such as the speed of the ball and reaction time. Then, eliminate your bias.

Valuing a hypothetical over what happened? I guess we can never discuss any play then.
You can discuss whatever you want. But you're arguing against a play that resulted in six points. You're going to want a lot of ammo for that and all you've got is a water gun. It was a perfectly placed ball for a TD. All the things you're citing happened after the ball was in the air and for those of us who actually know what we're talking (you're not in this group) about are signs of an excellent read, reaction, and subsequent ball placement making it a great play.

People who think Dak sucks don't like it and so they attempt to act as if it was something else. You're in that group voluntarily and are simply confirming your bias. It's honestly sad but your addition of the unwarranted condescension that always seems to accompany his critics puts the cherry on top. You should take that tired troll shtick back to Reddit.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You can discuss whatever you want. But you're arguing against a play that resulted in six points. You're going to want a lot of ammo for that and all you've got is a water gun. It was a perfectly placed ball for a TD. All the things you're citing happened after the ball was in the air and for those of us who actually know what we're talking (you're not in this group) about are signs of an excellent read, reaction, and subsequent ball placement making it a great play.

People who think Dak sucks don't like it and so they attempt to act as if it was something else. You're in that group voluntarily and are simply confirming your bias. It's honestly sad but your addition of the unwarranted condescension that always seems to accompany his critics puts the cherry on top. You should take that tired troll shtick back to Reddit.

You're acting like I'm saying it was a bad pass or something. I'm just saying it wasn't some amazing pass like you were trying to hype it as. You're clearly biased here.

You talk about the read, but then complain about me talking about something before the ball was in the air. Consider the term anticipation. Then consider that what I said about getting the ball to Dez does not mean it needs to be a low line drive pass either.

The end result is irrelevant, btw. If he threw a pass that bounced in and out of 3 defenders hands before coming down softly to Dez for six, that wouldn't make it a quality throw.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Who are you listening to? I have heard mostly positive things about Dak from people. The NFL network 12 hr exhausting pregame show on sunday said word for word that Dak is not the problem. Its the rest of team. My point if that was 4 to 5 years ago Romo would have never gotten that luxury. Actually I heard that same guy say Romo just cant get it done a few years back. Its a joke how Dak gets a pass and Romo never did. And ill stress again. This is not an anti Dak thing. Not at all. My only point was exactly what I said in my thread I started
LOL, You obviously only hear what you want to hear.
Are you saying that you never heard anyone say Dak did what he did because of the team around him, yes or no? You never heard anyone say that he will regress once teams have more film on him? You never heard a word about a sophomore slump? You obviously never heard a thing after the Denver game either huh? Or after he gave us the lead vs GB that he should have taken a knee at the one?
Dak is getting a lot of crap from the media, the only difference is he hasn't thrown game ending INTs, like Tony did, that lead to even more crap.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
You're acting like I'm saying it was a bad pass or something. I'm just saying it wasn't some amazing pass like you were trying to hype it as. You're clearly biased here.

You talk about the read, but then complain about me talking about something before the ball was in the air. Consider the term anticipation. Then consider that what I said about getting the ball to Dez does not mean it needs to be a low line drive pass either.

The end result is irrelevant, btw. If he threw a pass that bounced in and out of 3 defenders hands before coming down softly to Dez for six, that wouldn't make it a quality throw.
And there you go with hypotheticals. Anyone still firmly on the Dak hate train should never even consider calling someone else biased. You're problems run deeper than simple bias though. Hey have fun on that island. Maybe you and matt can throw a party.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And there you go with hypotheticals. Anyone still firmly on the Dak hate train should never even consider calling someone else biased. You're problems run deeper than simple bias though. Hey have fun on that island. Maybe you and matt can throw a party.

Why do you pretend that hypotheticals don't have value? You probably would call that a good pass, wouldn't you?

That hypothetical was simply to make the point that the end result...when analyzing a play...is not always relevant. If you can't understand that, then your bias is limiting your ability to reason.

Are you capable of making ANY criticisms about Dak? I have no problem complementing him on things he does well.

ALBIT

Reaction score
LOL, You obviously only hear what you want to hear.
Are you saying that you never heard anyone say Dak did what he did because of the team around him, yes or no? You never heard anyone say that he will regress once teams have more film on him? You never heard a word about a sophomore slump? You obviously never heard a thing after the Denver game either huh? Or after he gave us the lead vs GB that he should have taken a knee at the one?
Dak is getting a lot of crap from the media, the only difference is he hasn't thrown game ending INTs, like Tony did, that lead to even more crap.

He desreved all the criticism he got when he did not play well against good teams this year. And again most media, tv people all are saying its not Dak fault the cowboys have the record they have. Of course there have been negative thibgs said about Dak. Of course there has been, but im telling you what I hsve heard all thos week on every single football show......Its not Dak fault why the Cowboys are losing. I wish one pwrson on tv wpuld have said that about Romo. Thats my only point. Im not anti Dak at all. But Lately I jave heard more good thingd about Dak than bad.