Outside of Cowboy Nation, are the Cowboys the Most Hated?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I heard it said this morning that the Cowboys are the most hated NFL team. Is that true? Living in Texas, I don't see it. I've always thought that was either the 49ers or Steelers.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since I became a Cowboy fan back over 50 years ago there has always been 2 truths.

1. The Cowboys are the most popular team in the league.

2. The Cowboys are the most hated team in the league.

There hasn't been anything that has happened to change that over all these years.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I think in an overall league wide sense they used to be because they won all the time. I think it’s faded significantly over the past few decades though.

I bet if you polled fans for every team, a division rival would be picked every time.

Here in Green Bay, the Bears hatred is much higher than the Cowboys.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yes. They’re the most hated. And no. The lack of success hasn’t affected that much.

We’re still on National tv as much or more than any other team and that feeds the haters. Among other stuff.

Note: many diehard fans right here on this forum hate them often.

Brax

Reaction score
I heard it said this morning that the Cowboys are the most hated NFL team. Is that true? Living in Texas, I don't see it. I've always thought that was either the 49ers or Steelers.
Most hated no, you have to win something more than once and be at the top for a extended period of time to get that honor. The last 20 years they are more a laughing stock on par with Detroit, Cleveland, Jax, LV, Chicago. NE is one of the most hated teams if not # 1 along with Pitt and I would think KC will get there in a few years if they keep playing and winning.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
From my experience the lack of success has only amplified it. Jerry Jones (and to an extent a large part of the fanbase) feels more important than other teams. He says things like the old Cowboys stadium had a hole so God could watch his favorite team, or even at 6-10 it's still America's team, or that he says stuff like this:

"I thought we had, personnel-wise, one of the best teams we've ever had,'' Jones said of the 2020 NFL roster Dallas built

He didn't say that before the season, he said that in December. There's this impression that things are owed to the Cowboys just because they're the Cowboys, that they deserve more rings so they can be the team with the most again. So for some fans, beating the Cowboys isn't just a division rivalry, it's the hard working, blue collar class beating the silver spoon aristocrats who couldn't be bothered to do anything the hard way.

When a Rams team or a Vikings team plays you, Its not hard to perceive it as the good guys vs the bad guys. But I think it can be comical at times, always look on the bright side. Having an evil empire type team sells tickets

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are the most polarizing team in the NFL just like the Yankees and Celtics were when they won all the time and had the stars.

The Cowboys have the additional element in an irritating owner, just like Steinbrenner was, only he has made himself the face of his franchise so that carries more irritation than usual.

Do you ever hear the Patriots referred to as Robert Kraft's Patriots or the stadium he owns, Gillette, as Bobby World?

If you believe the surveys, Booger comes out on top as most hated owner of any sports team and his showoff of the things he owns only serves to fuel that fire.

No other team in any sport accentuates the money part of it like the Cowboys, that's the real game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A big part of that Love/Hate situation is due to both jealousy and the "America's Team" label.
Either way, it just adds to their popularity! :muttley:You can't get enough of a good thing! :flagwave:

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I lived in DC area and there is a big big Cowboys following in the WFT nation. same in california. the cowboys are polarizing, mostly because of Jones. he tried to market them so much, it turns off a few fans (which leads to TV ratings, since you either watch the cowboys to win or watch them to lose, there is almost no in between).

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
From my experience the lack of success has only amplified it. Jerry Jones (and to an extent a large part of the fanbase) feels more important than other teams. He says things like the old Cowboys stadium had a hole so God could watch his favorite team, or even at 6-10 it's still America's team, or that he says stuff like this:

"I thought we had, personnel-wise, one of the best teams we've ever had,'' Jones said of the 2020 NFL roster Dallas built

He didn't say that before the season, he said that in December. There's this impression that things are owed to the Cowboys just because they're the Cowboys, that they deserve more rings so they can be the team with the most again. So for some fans, beating the Cowboys isn't just a division rivalry, it's the hard working, blue collar class beating the silver spoon aristocrats who couldn't be bothered to do anything the hard way.

When a Rams team or a Vikings team plays you, Its not hard to perceive it as the good guys vs the bad guys. But I think it can be comical at times, always look on the bright side. Having an evil empire type team sells tickets
Pretty sure that was said way before Jerry Jones bought the team. 99% sure it was a player from the 70's, but can't remember exactly which one.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most hated no, you have to win something more than once and be at the top for a extended period of time to get that honor. The last 20 years they are more a laughing stock on par with Detroit, Cleveland, Jax, LV, Chicago. NE is one of the most hated teams if not # 1 along with Pitt and I would think KC will get there in a few years if they keep playing and winning.

Judging off your posting history you are clearly a fan of another team and masquerading as a cowboys fan. Please get help

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure that was said way before Jerry Jones bought the team. 99% sure it was a player from the 70's, but can't remember exactly which one.
Yep, that came about in the 70's and it was known publicly about Landry and Staubach's religious faith. It was a naturel tie-in.

Hell, Booger doesn't open the roof at ATT because he doesn't want God to see him.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think it is as bad as it used to be here in NJ, but I think there is still some residual hatred of Dallas from all those years when the team was successful. I also think Jerry being such an out front type of owner adds to it to some degree. But I cannot imagine anyone hating the Cowboys as much as I hate the Giants. :laugh:

Carson

Reaction score
25 years is mediocrity and we’re still the the most talked about team. Facts

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
While the team has not been great the past 25 years, Jerry has still been able to generate enough buzz around his team to keep the seats filled until last season.

Brax

Reaction score
Judging off your posting history you are clearly a fan of another team and masquerading as a cowboys fan. Please get help
Wrong, the truth hurts , you must be a recent fan not to see or understand the unvarnished truth. Someday you will see what the Cowboys have become.