Outside of Cowboy Nation, are the Cowboys the Most Hated?

plasticman

Reaction score
Success breeds envy and envy turns to "hate", in parenthesis because it's not really hate, we don't wish players from other teams any misfortune. Really fan "hatred" is a form of respect for what that team has accomplished.

The most hated team in this era is the Patriots. The most hated fanbase, according to "some" in the media is us.

lqmac1

Reaction score
I heard it said this morning that the Cowboys are the most hated NFL team. Is that true? Living in Texas, I don't see it. I've always thought that was either the 49ers or Steelers.
Yes! Even people who don’t follow nor watch the NFL say “you’re a Cowboys fan? I hate the Cowboys”. It’s trendy.

but I will say this… There are a lot of people that act like they hate the Cowboys, but are Cowboys fans deep down. Stephen A Smith loves the Cowboys, I don’t see how people can’t see past his façade.

The ones that hate us still tune in. They can act like they don’t care, but the ratings show they do. Everybody tunes in when America’s team is on TV. And we’re also The wealthiest sports team in the world for I don’t know how many consecutive years now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yes! Even people who don’t follow nor watch the NFL say “you’re a Cowboys fan? I hate the Cowboys”. It’s trendy.

but I will say this… There are a lot of people that act like they hate the Cowboys, but are Cowboys fans deep down. Stephen A Smith loves the Cowboys, I don’t see how people can’t see past his façade.

The ones that hate us still tune in. They can act like they don’t care, but the ratings show they do. Everybody tunes in when America’s team is on TV. And we’re also The wealthiest sports team in the world for I don’t know how many consecutive years now.
Someone is buying all that merch and it isn't just known Cowboys. :D

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Disagree. If you’re talking American football in America, Dallas IS the most polarizing. Your obvious hatred of the Jones family colors your outlook.

12 billion doesn’t exactly qualify as a “niche sport”. . No sense debating this further—you won’t change my mind.

America first of all is a continent not a country. You are talking about the U.S. And still i consider this even inside the U.S. rather a myth.

12 Billion ? What are you talking about ? Revenue of the NFL ? What does revenue has to do with being a niche sport or not ? Niche means its not widespread, operated only by a few compared to everyone else. You cant change not being niche just by earning more money.

American football is big in the U.S. and thats it. I give you that in some countries it is known but not more than a fringe sport. The U.S. is nowhere near as a leading standard for the whole world (in fact most would argue its just the opposite, but thats a different story).

If all you got out of my post is that i hate the Joneses but didnt understand my critique about the U.S. economic system i do understand that i wont be able to post anything to change your mind.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
America first of all is a continent not a country. You are talking about the U.S. And still i consider this even inside the U.S. rather a myth.

12 Billion ? What are you talking about ? Revenue of the NFL ? What does revenue has to do with being a niche sport or not ? Niche means its not widespread, operated only by a few compared to everyone else. You cant change not being niche just by earning more money.

American football is big in the U.S. and thats it. I give you that in some countries it is known but not more than a fringe sport. The U.S. is nowhere near as a leading standard for the whole world (in fact most would argue its just the opposite, but thats a different story).

If all you got out of my post is that i hate the Joneses but didnt understand my critique about the U.S. economic system i do understand that i wont be able to post anything to change your mind.
So you DO understand! Congrats!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The most recent poll had the Patriots edging out the Cowboys as footballs most hated team; but that was when Brady was still there. A few more seasons like 2020 and New England will become just another team.

A more telling stat is something I found after last season (I wrote down the numbers but don't have the link). It says 8.3 percent of NFL fans identify as Cowboys fans; down from a peak of 23.8 percent in 1996. Still, if every team had equal backing, they would all own 3.2 percent of the vote.

This means Dallas is still nearly three times as popular as the average NFL franchise despite being 25 years removed from their last Super Bowl. That's still pretty remarkable and speaks to how aggressively they are marketed.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
certainly among the media...refs...and league hq.

I almost believe Goodell and Jerry Jones have some bad blood between them and certain "things" will continue to work against the Cowboys until one or both men are no longer in the position they are in. From Dez's non-catch to Zeke's suspension with zero proof to the phantom tripping penalties in the 2019 loss to New England, it's a conspiracy theorist's paradise.

Note I don't really think the Cowboys are being wronged on purpose, it just makes me think that there's a slight possibility.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oklahoma is Cowboys country from what I've seen since I moved up here The Egirls should be near the top of everyone's hate list.
I hate the e-girls not because of their accomplishments- which aren’t that much anyway. My disdain for the Filly boys centers on their pathetic fan base. To quote the slimy character “Dean Wormer” from the classic movie Animal House, “Drunk, stupid and unemployed is no way to go through life son.” That’s a very apt description of the Filly fan base.

Two decades ago, the Filly police were forced to install a make shift jail at the old Veterans Stadium (before the current Lincoln Field) because there were so many drunks fighting in the stands, it wasn’t safe for anyone other than the thugs in green attending games. Supposedly it’s gotten better- I hear they stop selling beer at the end of the third qtr- but I doubt it.

cowboyed

Reaction score

Well, specifically, the US is one of three major countries (Canada, Mexico) that make up the continent of North America. Then many consider countries in Central America, the Caribbean as part of North America. So tack on 20 more.
There is only one country in the world that is also a continent - Australia.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Cowboys are my favorite team due to being a fan since the late 70s and my most hated team for becoming a Barnum and Bailey clown show for the last 25 years .
I love them and despise them at the same time.
I fit in both categories.
There was a time when a Cowboys loss would ruin my whole week. Now I expect loses more than wins.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I heard it said this morning that the Cowboys are the most hated NFL team. Is that true? Living in Texas, I don't see it. I've always thought that was either the 49ers or Steelers.
They are hated by many here at CZ.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
It's the boys and it is not even close. But we put the butts in the stand and the eyes glued to the tube for that reason.