Outside of OL, which player that we must hand in the card for?

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Laiatu Latu might lose the numbers game in a loaded draft class and fall down the board. He's a big injury risk, but his production and efficiency stats are at a top-5 pick level. Pass rushing talents like that never make it to #24, but this may be the year that one does.
Would you feel comfortable rolling the dice on him at 24 ?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Would you feel comfortable rolling the dice on him at 24 ?
It depends on who else is available. But just for grins, say we're looking at Tyler Guyton, Zach Frazier, and Latu at the top of our big board. I am going Latu without blinking.

Frazier's going to be a good pro, but he won't be a game changer. Guyton has the talent to be a game-changer shutdown LT, but there's a lot of risk he won't get there. Latu's more likely to be a game changer than not.

You can apply that same logic to any other names you want to drop in there. There's few times where you can get that kind of impact player that late in the first. Think of the Dez Bryant situation in 2010... drafting Latu would literally be like that.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Payton Wilson at LB. Beast at both LB and blitzing from the line. Would immediately become QB on D.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It depends on who else is available. But just for grins, say we're looking at Tyler Guyton, Zach Frazier, and Latu at the top of our big board. I am going Latu without blinking.

Frazier's going to be a good pro, but he won't be a game changer. Guyton has the talent to be a game-changer shutdown LT, but there's a lot of risk he won't get there. Latu's more likely to be a game changer than not.

You can apply that same logic to any other names you want to drop in there. There's few times where get that kind of impact player that late in the first. Think of the Dez Bryant situation in 2010... drafting Latu would literally be like that.
This team gambles on players with injury histories. So who knows. It will be interesting to ss where he goes.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We have needs just about everywhere. You can make a case to just take the best player each round and they’ll likely see a good amount of snaps.

OT
C
WR
RB
DT
DE
LBr
CB
S

I think it’s wild that some fans think we have to draft 2 OLmen early with the amount of holes we have.
I totally agree but in a different order and how draft looks like it’s flowing. We really can’t afford to go O-line first two picks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Love the player. But I don’t know if I could pull the trigger on him. His potential red flags are career threatening. I would just hold my breath and hope from a health standpoint If he’s the pick.
We said the same thing about Phillips and he has been a good pro with Miami. Is there risk? Absolutely, but there is with others in that same range.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I totally agree but in a different order and how draft looks like it’s flowing. We really can’t afford to go O-line first two picks.
Based on the 30 visits, clearly they are hunting OL, lb and rb. Taking another position in the 1st three rounds, makes it more difficult but not impossible.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
We said the same thing about Phillips and he has been a good pro with Miami. Is there risk? Absolutely, but there is with others in that same range.
This team gambles so if he‘s available I could certainly see him in play.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'd probably go Murphy, Verse, Latu at DL/EDGE and Arnold or Mitchell at CB.

As much as I like receivers like Adoni Mitchell and BJT, I think the draft is too rich at WR to be utilizing a R1 pick this year. I think a guy like X. Leggette in R3 would be the perfect replacement for Gallup.

reddyuta

Reaction score
IMO I think this year looks like the year they wanted Surtain or Horn and settled for Micah. I think Barton and JPJ are their targets. If both are gone who do they pivot to ?
highly unlikely but if both are gone than an OT drops which we cant pass up.

TheDank

Reaction score
QB evaluation is not my strength, but if we’re moving on from Dak I’d be happy to get Michael Penix. I like him better than Daniels or Maye.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This team gambles so if he‘s available I could certainly see him in play.
Tell you the truth, cannot see this team leaving their 1st pick without taking an offensive lineman. No chance they head into next season with Hoffman, Bass as starters.

rambo2

Reaction score
IMO I think this year looks like the year they wanted Surtain or Horn and settled for Micah. I think Barton and JPJ are their targets. If both are gone who do they pivot to ?
I think they would take Murphy or Barton.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Laiatu Latu might lose the numbers game in a loaded draft class and fall down the board. He's a big injury risk, but his production and efficiency stats are that of a top-five pick. Pass rushing talents like that never make it to #24, but this may be the year that one does.

Byron Murphy is the real deal and will probably go early. I have cooled down a bit on Johnny Newton... heck of a player, but he's a more middle of the road athlete. I would be fine with picking him at #24, but he's not a BPA, trip all over yourself to hand in the card guy.
Latu and Murphy are 2 of my favorite targets. Better players than any OL that is realistic IMO.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Going OL with our first 2 picks is essentially saying we’re drafting for need and not taking the best player.

Hard pass.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We have needs just about everywhere. You can make a case to just take the best player each round and they’ll likely see a good amount of snaps.

OT
C
WR
RB
DT
DE
LBr
CB
S

I think it’s wild that some fans think we have to draft 2 OLmen early with the amount of holes we have.
Evenly distributed, I'd prefer that our first three picks be (in some order) OT/C, RB, DT. I think those are our three biggest needs. Ideally, the OL would come first because of the need and quality around our pick, but not at the expense of one of the top two DTs. I'd prefer a second-round RB if Benson or Brooks is there because I think they are the two best, but again, it depends on who else is there.

For example, let's say Murphy is there in the first, you take him. Then, let's say Frazier makes it to our pick in the second, you take him there. Then, you hope a player like Wright makes it to us in the third. If we miss out on the RBs in the first three rounds, our likelihood of successfully finding a starter drops down exponentially in the last three rounds.

tm1119

Reaction score
It’s really only Dline if it’s not Oline for me.

Verse
Turner
Latu
Chop
Murphy
Very happy with any/all.

Newton is close for me, but I don’t see a huge drop off between him and the next 3-4 DT’s that could be available in the 2nd.
Same with WR because of the depth of this class…someone really talented will be there on the 2nd, probably even 3rd. MHJ, Nabers and Rome are the true 1st round talents and will be long gone.

I think the 3rd CB in this class is extremely debatable and not worth 24. Mitchell and Arnold will be gone, if not it would be a real debate on BPA vs need.

No RB, LB or S worth 24.

Bowers is the only 1st round TE and won’t make it to 24. If he somehow did I’d run to the podium.

Whatever QB falls to 24 isn’t actually a legit 1st round prospect or better than Lance.