Outside of OL, which player that we must hand in the card for?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s really only Dline if it’s not Oline for me.

Verse
Turner
Latu
Chop
Murphy
Very happy with any/all.

Newton is close for me, but I don’t see a huge drop off between him and the next 3-4 DT’s that could be available in the 2nd.
Same with WR because of the depth of this class…someone really talented will be there on the 2nd, probably even 3rd. MHJ, Nabers and Rome are the true 1st round talents and will be long gone.

I think the 3rd CB in this class is extremely debatable and not worth 24. Mitchell and Arnold will be gone, if not it would be a real debate on BPA vs need.

No RB, LB or S worth 24.

Bowers is the only 1st round TE and won’t make it to 24. If he somehow did I’d run to the podium.

Whatever QB falls to 24 isn’t actually a legit 1st round prospect or better than Lance.
I will be very surprised if we take a corner/safety early in this draft. We just paid one starting corner and had another lead the league in interceptions, set a record for interceptions returned for TDs and make All-Pro. At safety, we just gave new contracts to Donovan Wilson and Malik Hooker. Wilson is under contract through 2025 and Hooker through 2026. On top of that, we saw some promising things from Bell and Thomas.

I know BPA is important, but you've also got to consider how to get the most value out of your picks. We could use some depth, particularly at corner, but with Lewis' resigning, we've got our top three ... and Scott showed some promise in camp before just looking so-so in the preseason games.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This^^^^^^I think Zim will stand on the table for this kid. Word is he can play CB ( man coverage ) and LBer but his best position may be safety.
As much as supposedly we need a tackle and a center. A stud defensive player would help the team just as much. I hope they take BPA for once in every round.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Evenly distributed, I'd prefer that our first three picks be (in some order) OT/C, RB, DT. I think those are our three biggest needs. Ideally, the OL would come first because of the need and quality around our pick, but not at the expense of one of the top two DTs. I'd prefer a second-round RB if Benson or Brooks is there because I think they are the two best, but again, it depends on who else is there.

For example, let's say Murphy is there in the first, you take him. Then, let's say Frazier makes it to our pick in the second, you take him there. Then, you hope a player like Wright makes it to us in the third. If we miss out on the RBs in the first three rounds, our likelihood of successfully finding a starter drops down exponentially in the last three rounds.
RBs are a dime a dozen. Unless it’s Benson I don’t like the idea of wasting an early pick on one when you get someone that can play in the 5th. Especiallly someone coming off of an injury.

They should be prepared to take any position so they’re getting the best value in each round.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s really only Dline if it’s not Oline for me.

Verse
Turner
Latu
Chop
Murphy
Very happy with any/all.

Newton is close for me, but I don’t see a huge drop off between him and the next 3-4 DT’s that could be available in the 2nd.
Same with WR because of the depth of this class…someone really talented will be there on the 2nd, probably even 3rd. MHJ, Nabers and Rome are the true 1st round talents and will be long gone.

I think the 3rd CB in this class is extremely debatable and not worth 24. Mitchell and Arnold will be gone, if not it would be a real debate on BPA vs need.

No RB, LB or S worth 24.

Bowers is the only 1st round TE and won’t make it to 24. If he somehow did I’d run to the podium.

Whatever QB falls to 24 isn’t actually a legit 1st round prospect or better than Lance.
Newton, BTJr, Mitchell, Dejean, Wiggins and Bowers would all be great options IMO.

gimmesix

Reaction score
RBs are a dime a dozen. Unless it’s Benson I don’t like the idea of wasting an early pick on one when you get someone that can play in the 5th. Especiallly someone coming off of an injury.

They should be prepared to take any position so they’re getting the best value in each round.
Unless we're going to take a dozen in the fifth-seventh rounds, you stand a small chance of finding a starting-quality back. I really don't understand why some fans don't know that past drafts have shown there's about a 10 percent chance (or less) of finding a starting back in those rounds. Just because there have been some notable hits doesn't change that they are the exception instead of the rule.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Unless we're going to take a dozen in the fifth-seventh rounds, you stand a small chance of finding a starting-quality back. I really don't understand why some fans don't know that past drafts have shown there's about a 10 percent chance (or less) of finding a starting back in those rounds. Just because there have been some notable hits doesn't change that they are the exception instead of the rule.
RB is one of the most non valuable positions on the roster…if the OL is decent and the passing game is good an average RB can rush for 1000+.

There are guys in the 4/5th round that I would absolutely love over guys in the 2/3 and I don’t think the production dropoff would be that much.

gimmesix

Reaction score
RB is one of the most non valuable positions on the roster…if the OL is decent and the passing game is good an average RB can rush for 1000+.

There are guys in the 4/5th round that I would absolutely love over guys in the 2/3 and I don’t think the production dropoff would be that much.
Some of you count too much on fifth-rounders when most of them barely make teams and often are just backups at best. I'm sure there are those who think Deuce Vaughn failed last year simply because he was taken because his father works for the team instead of being worthy of the pick. But he's more typical than atypical. There were nine RBs taken from the fifth-seventh rounds last year; only two of them averaged better than 3.2 yards per carry and none rushed for more than 280 yards. And that was considered a stronger RB class than this one.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
We have needs just about everywhere. You can make a case to just take the best player each round and they’ll likely see a good amount of snaps.

OT
C
WR
RB
DT
DE
LBr
CB
S

I think it’s wild that some fans think we have to draft 2 OLmen early with the amount of holes we have.
Very true. With these needs, we can pick basically any of those positions and get an impact player. It depends on how it falls. Will there be a run on WRs? OT? If somehow either of the DEs were available in Latu and Verse, I think you have to take them. Could make the same argument for Murphy and Newton or even DeJean.

No matter what, we'll be playing untested players next year at certain positions. We have no choice. Might as well take the best player.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Some of you count too much on fifth-rounders when most of them barely make teams and often are just backups at best. I'm sure there are those who think Deuce Vaughn failed last year simply because he was taken because his father works for the team instead of being worthy of the pick. But he's more typical than atypical. There were nine RBs taken from the fifth-seventh rounds last year; only two of them averaged better than 3.2 yards per carry and none rushed for more than 280 yards. And that was considered a stronger RB class than this one.
And I could also go find you a handful of dudes that were mid-late rounders that have been solid RBs. It’s partially dependent on scheme and OL play so just such a waste of a pick early in the draft.

morasp

Reaction score
In addition to the ones mentioned, I wouldn't include the CBs, if the sky is the limit any of these top 15 non OL would be golden.

Malik Nabers WR LSU
Marvin Harrison WR OSU
Caleb Williams QB USC
Rome Odunze WR Washington
Jayden Daniels QB LSU
Brock Bowers TE Georgia
Byron Murphy II DL Texas

Malhavoc

Reaction score
In addition to the ones mentioned, I wouldn't include the CBs, if the sky is the limit any of these top 15 non OL would be golden.

Malik Nabers WR LSU
Marvin Harrison WR OSU
Caleb Williams QB USC
Rome Odunze WR Washington
Jayden Daniels QB LSU
Brock Bowers TE Georgia
Byron Murphy II DL Texas
Murphy is the only one we remotely have a shot at.