Outside this board, the Cowboys are getting some good grades for this draft

MikeT22

Reaction score
This board is infected with whiners. They live for coming here every day and *****ing about something. The draft is like red meat to them. They are going to complain about just anyone the Cowboys drafted. It started immediately after the 1st pick. They will continue to whine until the player shuts them up. Then they will silently slither back under there rock until the next opportunity comes by, I.e. the next move by the FO. It’s as predictable as the sunset.

Some do complain about most things just like some praise everything the team does.

Then there are others who are just being objective.

Hill is a solid player but there are concerns. It came down to him and Juan Thornhill and both were at major need areas. One didn't start most of the season while one did. One has some questionable attitude issues and work ethic while the other seems to be solid all around. I don't hate Hill but I think Juan was a more solid player in the 2nd.

In the 3rd, McGovern wasn't someone I was targeting but he was great value at the time and also fills a lesser need.

We took Pollard in the 4th who most had as a 5th-6th rounder. He's also not an every down player. He's the toy we were enamored with, a returner and 3rd down type receiving back. Problem is we took him too early. Then we missed on the S we wanted with our next 4th and then ended up trading down twice since we had no backup plan with a limited amount of targets on our list.

5th-7th were mainly picks with decent or good value based on where we selected them. Most of the players in this range will be longshots but I think we did a good job here at making value picks and not reaching. Hopefully at least a couple will stick and be solid contributors.

Overall I'd give us a B-. Probably not high enough for the company yes-men, but not low enough for the incessant complainers. But can't please everyone.

Reactions: CWR

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Some do complain about most things just like some praise everything the team does.

Then there are others who are just being objective.

Hill is a solid player but there are concerns. It came down to him and Juan Thornhill and both were at major need areas. One didn't start most of the season while one did. One has some questionable attitude issues and work ethic while the other seems to be solid all around. I don't hate Hill but I think Juan was a more solid player in the 2nd.

In the 3rd, McGovern wasn't someone I was targeting but he was great value at the time and also fills a lesser need.

We took Pollard in the 4th who most had as a 5th-6th rounder. He's also not an every down player. He's the toy we were enamored with, a returner and 3rd down type receiving back. Problem is we took him too early. Then we missed on the S we wanted with our next 4th and then ended up trading down twice since we had no backup plan with a limited amount of targets on our list.

5th-7th were mainly picks with decent or good value based on where we selected them. Most of the players in this range will be longshots but I think we did a good job here at making value picks and not reaching. Hopefully at least a couple will stick and be solid contributors.

Overall I'd give us a B-. Probably not high enough for the company yes-men, but not low enough for the incessant complainers. But can't please everyone.
Giving grades at this point is meaningless. That’s my point. You don’t grade a draft until after 3 years. Yet some like yourself like to poo poo on it.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Giving grades at this point is meaningless. That’s my point. You don’t grade a draft until after 3 years. Yet some like yourself like to poo poo on it.

^
Some on here just like to complain

InTheZone

Reaction score
I liked our first two picks, but our new DT better be as advertised and not some "quick step interior DL" that never disrupts the pocket

McGovern is good depth for this solid line. If Collins doesn't significantly improve this season he's gone and someone we have will be moving over to RT while the new guy or Connor Williams plays LG.

As for the Giants and Skins, one reached on a potential one year wonder while the other took a guy that might just be average every year...

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Posted this in another thread earlier today(this obviously doesn’t include our late picks not Priority FA.. And yes, it includes Amari Cooper)

For those losing their minds right now, perception can be a killer and a little perspective may help.(maybe not)

Draft pundits and scouts consider a great draft is finding 3 starters. With this in mind so far, Dallas seems to have found three if you consider our 1st Rd pick is Amari Cooper. The fact that Dallas is picking in the back of every round and didn’t make their first pick til 58th, I feel comfortable with the guys they’ve picked so far contributing to a team that already is very talented.

1- [Amari Cooper]
2- 3T Tristen Hill (will be a starting by next year and possibly this year over Collins, but definitely will rotate in an play a lot of snaps. Before this draft, folks were begging for DL..here ya go)
3- G Conner McGovern (solidifies a shaky OL from last year and most expect to be a starter by next year.)
4- RB Tony Pollard (definitely a pass catching back up RB that was severely needed)
5- CB Michael Jackson (Richard project that projects well. Richard has proven to be able to mold players like this. Time will tell for a 5th Rd pick)
6- DE Joe Jackson (Marinelli special.. who knows what he’ll turn into, but has a lot of traits and was very productive in college. What more do you want from a 6th Rd pick?)

My point, it’s definitely not the worst. Just not what couch GMs were wanting including myself. But I’m not going to act like I know more than the Pro Scouts that have proven in recent drafts they are pretty good at what they do. Give it time.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.da.../4/12/15274148/most-nfl-draft-picks-are-busts

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.fo...-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/amp/
Idk after watching gettleman I'm pretty sure I could be a NFL gm

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Draft grades are about perceived value. Did you get it? Or not.

Who pans out of course is not knowable.
Value is too subjective for any of these "grades" to matter. There's a big discrepancy in rankings among draft experts, and an even bigger discrepancy amongst NFL teams.

Useless.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Many sites panned our drafts in the past as well that turned out well.

This is, at best, a C draft. Rotational guys.