Over-Reaction, as usual

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
This game was a perfect storm. I should have seen it a mile away (actually a mile high away) but didn't. In my betting days this was an easy play.

Denver played the role of home dog against a team coming off an emotional win against a divisional opponent. Add to it that no one is harder to beat at home than Denver, the thin air, and a dominant defense and you have a recipe for disaster.

Dallas played like a team that was playing the week after they won the Super Bowl ... completely flat. I'm sure that's how they felt too. All they had been hearing about all offseason leading into the Giant's game was how NY had their number. Even Dak admitted this was not like every other game and then they dominated them. They might as well have let them hoist the trophy afterwards.

Then they ran into a buzzsaw. The youth on this team just got dealt a big dose of reality via a salty defense that was tired of hearing about the big bad Cowboys and their dominant OL. This team needed this no matter how hard it was to watch. Now we'll see how they respond. I think people are reading way to much into this loss though. This game was all about emotion. Denver brought it in spades and the Cowboys didn't.

kumizi

Reaction score
Also, Hitchens is vastly overrated by some back here. Nice player, better suited as a back up. He's not changing the face of the defense all that much. Smith was fine against the Giants and made some plays Hitchens could never, ever make. Hitchens wouldn't have been able to make the tackle on that reverse last week against the Giants, for example. Now Smith struggled yesterday but so did just about every defensive player other than Lawrence.

Certainly it would be great to get him back to provide depth and some options at LB, but we didn't lose because Hitchens wasn't out there.
That chase down on that reverse play is the only good play I've seen from Smith in 2 games. He does not belong on the field.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The fact the Broncos played their base defense should tell you the respect they have for the Dallas WR's.

I don't care if anyone agrees or it hair lips the governor, Dez is now middle of the road. Occasionally he can make a brilliant catch. But the guy cannot get open because he has no real speed of moves.

I am supremely disappointed in the attitude of Zeke. He is looking like a spoiled athlete now. If Garrett is a real head coach he will show that replay of the pick where Zeke stood there and did not run after the defender. In front of everyone on the team. Then ask him what he was thinking so he can tell the team why he quit on that play. Maybe even apologize. If he pouts, then bench him for a game.

Then players have rallied around him over this misconduct thing. They deserve better and he needs to get his mind right.

I am not in panic mode. My feeling coming into the season is this will be a tough year because they are revamping most of the DB's and still have no consistent pass rush. If that is the case, so be it. I look forward to a nice draft slot.

As of now I do not consider the Dallas Cowboys having a #1 receiver. Call it reactive, as you like. But I am not pissed over the loss. It's just one game. I am irritated over a slow footed WR who got paid like Irvin and shows up like Julius Jones on the tough days.

PS. Garrett is still not a head coach.
Two likes for this post!

:hammer:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
The overreaction (as usual) goes both ways.

If we had won, everyone would be singing our praises, only wanting to talk about sunshine and rainbows. If we lose, the reverse happens where everyone will find every single fault with the team as if they can't do anything right ever again.

Either way its an overreaction to a win or loss. People only complain and react when the overreaction isn't of their own opinion.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The Cowboys were beaten by a better team on Sunday; it's as simple as that, and it's not questionable on paper or on the field. That doesn't mean the head coach should be fired or Linehan and Marinelli are too simplistic, or anything else.

The facts are simple.

Defense:
  • We started the game down two key linemen, and this wasn't the Giants OL
  • We started the game down our best CB, and in short order, we were down 3 CBs, later 4 when Carrol left a second time, not to mention Jordan Lewis getting his first ever NFL experience having to play outside alone.
  • We were down one of our best LBs, and while Jaylon Smith may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread, right now he's not even in the same tier as Hidgens. He didn't play well against the Giants, and yesterday he was confused and late reacting. We had a lot of rookies and others who are just starting to learn the NFL game.
  • The Bengals ran out much better WR's than the Giants did, and they had a hard-nosed run game that abused our 6-man front.
Offense:
  • The Broncos decided to play their base defense no matter how many WR's we used. They had 7 man fronts with an 8th nearby, and they were closing on our run game fast. The bottom line is that any team can stop any run game anytime they want if they want to commit enough resources to do so, no matter how good the OL is.
  • The WRs and QB didn't make Denver pay for stopping the run game. Denver had confidence in one of the best secondaries and pass rushes, and we played right into their hands by dinking and dunking instead of threatening them deep.
  • Dak wasn't under duress the whole game, but he played like it. He was hesitant, and he missed receivers with poor throws and some that were just late. He didn't have a good game. If the QB can't make a defense play a 6 man front against a 3 receiver set, then the offense isn't going to run the ball well.
Yesterday, the Broncos were unquestionably the better team. Maybe when we have all our players back from suspensions and injuries, and when our rookies have some seasoning and don't have to be the front line guys, and maybe when the game plan is prepared for what Denver threw at us and Dak has a better game, maybe the Cowboys will be the better team...maybe not.

Either way, we are still the favorites to win our division, in my mind.

The Cardinals are on the horizon. Expect them to follow Denver's game plan; expect Peterson to take Dez out of the game. It will be up to Dak and the rest of the receivers to force the Cardinals back into pass coverage in order to open the running game. The Cardinals have the defense to try what Denver did, but the Cardinals aren't the Broncos, and Dallas won't be surprised.
Que bueno mi amigo. Muy bueno.

haleyrules

Reaction score
The overreaction (as usual) goes both ways.

If we had won, everyone would be singing our praises, only wanting to talk about sunshine and rainbows. If we lose, the reverse happens where everyone will find every single fault with the team as if they can't do anything right ever again.

Either way its an overreaction to a win or loss. People only complain and react when the overreaction isn't of their own opinion.
Yep. That's about it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
While I agree that there is plenty of overreaction going on, it's still has to give you pause to see a SB calibur team play as poorly as they did on Sunday. Let's see how this team bounces back against the Cardinals.

SB caliber? The Cowboys will be "SB caliber" when they advance beyond the divisional round of the playoffs, which hasn't happened in over 20 years. I thought this had the look of a 9-7 team before the season and based on what I've seen so far I'm sticking with it. Replacing two starters on the OL, not to mention virtually the entire secondary, was bound to be a step back (before hopefully a step forward).

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
SB caliber? The Cowboys will be "SB caliber" when they advance beyond the divisional round of the playoffs, which hasn't happened in over 20 years. I thought this had the look of a 9-7 team before the season and based on what I've seen so far I'm sticking with it. Replacing two starters on the OL, not to mention virtually the entire secondary, was bound to be a step back (before hopefully a step forward).
Rankings are just rankings because they still have to play the games, but of your team is consistently ranked in the top 6 in the league, I would consider that team a SB caliber team.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Sorry its too late...
This already happened around here.
th
:confused:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Rankings are just rankings because they still have to play the games, but of your team is consistently ranked in the top 6 in the league, I would consider that team a SB caliber team.
Shhh! “They” don’t like hearing that. It’s not an option.