CFZ Overcoming History

Diehardblues

Reaction score
History is a stubborn thing. It’s hard not to ignore two and a half decades of evidence. My favorite team in the entire decade of the 70s and most of the 90s were as dependable as a clock tower when it came to Divisional titles, playoff wins, conference championship games and even SBs.

That was in the 20th century.

Here’s some team history of the last quarter century that must be overcome for this team to have a successful 2022:
  • They haven’t won back to back division titles since 95-96.
  • They haven’t had back to back double digit win seasons since 95-96.
  • They haven’t made the playoffs in back to back seasons since 2006-07.
  • Here’s a real stumper- the Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC Championship at SF!
  • The last Cowboys head coach to coach a team to back to back playoff seasons? Chan Gailey 1998-99. (Landry did numerous times 67-85, Jimmy did 91-93, Barry did it 94-96, then Gailey- that’s it)
Looking at the 2022 Cowboys roster- If I’m being objective without the fan glasses on, I cannot honestly say this team is as good or better than last year. Certainly hope I’m wrong and will celebrate if the Cowboys finally break out of these historical trends. I see something like 9-8 this year with possible WC playoff opportunity.

If Tyler Smith develops quickly…if Jason Peters can be effective…if Zack Martin stays healthy and dominant…if the defense takes another step forward…if Micah Parsons is even better than last year…if our kicker is dependable in big moments…if Kellen Moore proves he can adjust to DCs throwing wrinkles…if Dak stays healthy and plays at a high level…if the team cuts down on penalties….

Lot of ifs. But hope is always a good thing.
Here’s hoping we break some shackles of history this season! GO COWBOYS!

th

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Sorry man, but trying to overcome this ownership is like playing soccer on one leg, or a game of chess blindfolded or trying to pin the tail on a REAL donkey. Getting kicked in the rocky mountain oysters each year ain't something to look forward to.. But anyway.....

GO COWBOYS......:starspin:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By signing Peters, things have changed for the better. The D looks to be outstanding as does ST. If the O can be productive, and it looks pretty good to me, this could be a winning formula. Now for a little of that magic

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cowboys were brilliant in their respective earlier years. That sad, many fans expect the same brilliance w/different coaches & players today. Stop expecting & enjoy the games & season.

Aven8

Reaction score
The team is mostly pretty young so maybe history will change. These dudes have no clue about all this history. I’m sure they see the giant pics of all time greats and trophies walking through the building but they don’t have a clue.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, as a mod can you please fix it so I can ignore you? You have so many doubts about this team, I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a fan. You're just a critic at this point. Your negativity is bringing me down post after post. It's bad for my mental health. I can't ignore you on my own, I need the feature that I use to ignore all the other Debbie downers on CZ. Please have some mercy and allow me to ignore you.
You must be joking JoeKing.

plasticman

Reaction score
History is a stubborn thing. It’s hard not to ignore two and a half decades of evidence. My favorite team in the entire decade of the 70s and most of the 90s were as dependable as a clock tower when it came to Divisional titles, playoff wins, conference championship games and even SBs.

Here’s some team history of the last quarter century that must be overcome for this team to have a successful 2022:
  • Here’s a real stumper- the Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC Championship at SF!
  • The last Cowboys head coach to coach a team to back to back playoff seasons? Chan Gailey 1998-99. (Landry did numerous times 67-85, Jimmy did 91-93, Barry did it 94-96, then Gailey- that’s it)
Looking at the 2022 Cowboys roster- If I’m being objective without the fan glasses on, I cannot honestly say this team is as good or better than last year. Certainly hope I’m wrong and will celebrate if the Cowboys finally break out of these historical trends. I see something like 9-8 this year with possible WC playoff opportunity.

If Tyler Smith develops quickly…if Jason Peters can be effective…if Zack Martin stays healthy and dominant…if the defense takes another step forward…if Micah Parsons is even better than last year…if our kicker is dependable in big moments…if Kellen Moore proves he can adjust to DCs throwing wrinkles…if Dak stays healthy and plays at a high level…if the team cuts down on penalties….

And all with the same GM.

How many times would a real GM have been fired under the same circumstancesj?

I count at least three.

GMO415

Reaction score
The team is worse than last year. They haven't changed their culture of entitlement. Hence, they will be one and done in the playoffs.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Yes sir a lot of ifs have to fall the right way for us to have a remarkable season.
I have my concerns, but I will hope for the best and enjoy the season.
Hope all here have a great time following our Cowboys this year.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Bob, as a mod can you please fix it so I can ignore you? You have so many doubts about this team, I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a fan. You're just a critic at this point. Your negativity is bringing me down post after post. It's bad for my mental health. I can't ignore you on my own, I need the feature that I use to ignore all the other Debbie downers on CZ. Please have some mercy and allow me to ignore you.
Suffering builds character.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Holy spit dude what a drama queen you are.

How about just don't read his posts oh I forgot you don't read them through anyway or you would have seen at the end it was very positive.
I assumed He was living up to His username.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If everything plays itself out as us fans want, then we can overcome history. In a perfect world sure, but we know for the last almost 3 decades that nothing about Cowboys football lives in this world, and if anything bad can happen it usually does. As much as we want to think we have improved in some areas, we usually wait for the other shoe(s) to fall...ie., injury to our QB, RB, WR, OL.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Sorry man, but trying to overcome this ownership is like playing soccer on one leg, or a game of chess blindfolded or trying to pin the tail on a REAL donkey. Getting kicked in the rocky mountain oysters each year ain't something to look forward to.. But anyway.....

GO COWBOYS......:starspin:
:lmao:
I think the regular season will be more enjoyable than the playoffs if we make it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

and now cue the animals old song, "dont bring me down " !
Here is an idea dont read threads that seem negative !, just dont read bob's threads.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

History isn’t measured in a couple decades but in centuries of not longer.