Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

lukin2006

Reaction score
Thing is, his range goes beyond comedy. That's my point. If you think his slap stick, 90s in-your-face comedy falls flat, fine. But if you think he lacks acting chops, well, I adamantly disagree.

Maybe I need to watch some of his other movies...

Name some that does not involve his silly comedy. I did see Man On the Moon and did like that one. I'm willing to watch some of his movies.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Maybe I need to watch some of his other movies...

Name some that does not involve his silly comedy. I did see Man On the Moon and did like that one. I'm willing to watch some of his movies.
Ok, buddy. Try The Truman Show. It's incredible. Also, if you're into a slow-ride, psychological mind ****, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. None of that Fire Marshall Bill/Ace Ventura character/persona.

Also, The Cable Guy is dark and very well-acted. And it came out in the middle of his 90s hysteria, and he disappointed all of his Ace Ventura fanboys with the roll. It's really good.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Ok, buddy. Try The Truman Show. It's incredible. Also, if you're into a slow-ride, psychological mind ****, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. None of that Fire Marshall Bill/Ace Ventura character/persona.

Also, The Cable Guy is dark and very well-acted. And it came out in the middle of his 90s hysteria, and he disappointed all of his Ace Ventura fanboys with the roll. It's really good.

I will check them out ... Thanks.

Big_D

Reaction score
Not sure about underrated but these are some solid actors. I didn't do an overrated list because there's plenty to name there.

Octavia Spencer
Paul Giamatti
Eddie Redmayne
Allison Janney
Michael Shannon
Steve Buscemi
Joseph Gordon Levitt
James McAvoy
John Lithgow
Edie Falco
Saoirse Ronan
Jonah Hill
Laurie Metcalf

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Not sure about underrated but these are some solid actors. I didn't do an overrated list because there's plenty to name there.

Octavia Spencer
Paul Giamatti
Eddie Redmayne
Allison Janney
Michael Shannon
Steve Buscemi
Joseph Gordon Levitt
James McAvoy
John Lithgow
Edie Falco
Saoirse Ronan
Jonah Hill
Laurie Metcalf
Great list. Michael Shannon is incredible, man. Same with Levitt. Giamatti, of course, is sensational.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
John Lithgow
Edie Falco
Saoirse Ronan
Jonah Hill
Laurie Metcalf
:thumbup:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do not like Jim Carey ... I do understand his comedy is not for everyone, especially me...
Thing is, his range goes beyond comedy. That's my point. If you think his slapstick, 90s in-your-face comedy falls flat, fine. But if you think he lacks acting chops and range, well, I adamantly disagree.
I agree with both of you. His acting is actually pretty good, but his comedic acting is way over the top.
I liked him on In Living Color in smaller doses, but an hour and a half or more of him doing the same character is nauseating.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I agree with both of you. His acting is actually pretty good, but his comedic acting is way over the top.
I liked him on In Living Color in smaller doses, but an hour and a half or more of him doing the same character is nauseating.

You touched upon a good point. I do not find him very funny, so it stands to reason that I probably will not like his comedies as much...