Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
(Inching Closer to) Overrated
Mark Ruffalo - solid actor but somewhat generic

Underrated
Zoe Kravitz - much better actress than her mother
Incredible in Big Little Lies. I tend to agree with you with Ruffalo, but he has had some out of the park performances -- Foxcatcher, Spotlight, The Normal Heart. But yeah, his delivery is generally the same.

Also, saw you include Maslany earlier in the thread. She's a phenom. It's too bad her show went off the rails after season 2 :(

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Incredible in Big Little Lies. I tend to agree with you with Ruffalo, but he has had some out of the park performances -- Foxcatcher, Spotlight, The Normal Heart. But yeah, his delivery is generally the same.

Also, saw you include Maslany earlier in the thread. She's a phenom. It's too bad her show went off the rails after season 2 :(
Orphan Black's central plotline began stretching after season three but I was completely hooked through season five purely for Maslany's talent alone. Her Cosima, Sarah, Helena, Rachel and Alison performances were all totally separate and unique. Five different actresses may have been able to pull off as good of a job but that is debatable. I am glad she won one Emmy at least before the series ended. She was nominated for the final season also but I am not as hopeful for her chances this time around.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Orphan Black's central plotline began stretching after season three but I was completely hooked through season five purely for Maslany's talent alone. Her Cosima, Sarah, Helena, Rachel and Alison performances were all totally separate and unique. Five different actresses may have been able to pull off as good of a job but that is debatable. I am glad she won one Emmy at least before the series ended. She was nominated for the final season also but I am not as hopeful for her chances this time around.
I was ELATED when she finally won her Emmy. She was robbed, ROBBED in season's 1-2. I stopped following after that, as the plot became too unfocused for me. But I know that SciFi is your jam, DE, so you are more in-tune and ingrained with the genre.

I did watch Orphan Black, as it aired, and was mesmerized by the lead actress. She's incredible. Season 1 is one of the best opening seasons I've ever seen from television. I just couldn't keep up after season 2/3, whenever it went towards the cult and such.

Still, such a gifted and gorgeous actress. A unicorn. And an amazing call, there, my friend.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Maslany as Soccer Mom™ on Orphan Black @DallasEast. Just end me, dreadfully amazing, juxtaposed to her other personas.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was ELATED when she finally won her Emmy. She was robbed, ROBBED in season's 1-2. I stopped following after that, as the plot became too unfocused for me. But I know that SciFi is your jam, DE, so you are more in-tune and ingrained with the genre.

I did watch Orphan Black, as it aired, and was mesmerized by the lead actress. She's incredible. Season 1 is one of the best opening seasons I've ever seen from television. I just couldn't keep up after season 2/3, whenever it went towards the cult and such.

Still, such a gifted and gorgeous actress. A unicorn. And an amazing call, there, my friend.
Season 1 Episode 1:

Woman waiting for a train, turns around, stares dead into the face of another woman who looks JUST LIKE HER, and watches this unknown twin purposely step in front of the inbound train a moment later.

I was hooked from jump. Orphan Black. A little too British for general American audiences but a very good television series in my book.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Season 1 Episode 1:

Woman waiting for a train, turns around, stares dead into the face of another woman who looks JUST LIKE HER, and watches this unknown twin purposely step in front of the inbound train a moment later.

I was hooked from jump. Orphan Black. A little too British for general American audiences but a very good television series in my book.
Oh, my brother. I love Channel 4, BBC, ITV productions. Have you seen the magnificent Utopia?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maslany as Soccer Mom™ on Orphan Black @DallasEast. Just end me, dreadfully amazing, juxtaposed to her other personas.
Alison was great. All of the central clones were great but Helena was a close second to Sarah for me. You NEVER knew what Helena would do next. Helena was a deadly assassin curled up in a victimized aura that was finally shattered by her connection with her "sistrahs". If I were in a fight for my life, I would want Helena by my side. :laugh:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Nope. Have not seen that one. May put it on my to see list. ;)
Strike two for me. :p
Watch both and thank me later. Utopia, season 1, is pure greatness. Perfection. Rumor was, for a while, that Fincher was picking it up for an American remake for HBO

I was discouraged after Broadchurch's nasty American remake (and holy moly, David Tennant, anyone?? @BrAinPaiNt), but was admittedly excited since it was gonna be a Fincher remake.

I think you'll definitely enjoy Fortitude, DE. Really well made. And Tucci knocks it out of the park, with other cast members doing amazing work. Mystery, Scifi, tension, thriller. Really fun, even for a snob like myself :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Alison was great. All of the central clones were great but Helena was a close second to Sarah for me. You NEVER knew what Helena would do next. Helena was a deadly assassin curled up in a victimized aura that was finally shattered by her connection with her "sistrahs". If I were in a fight for my life, I would want Helena by my side. :laugh:
OMG, yes! Helena was amazing, so much range with her on that show. Helena's evolution, in just the 2 or 3 seasons I watched, grabbed my heart. But Allison was pure comic relief, immediately after going from some grungy Helena scene :)

The show lost that magic for me -- as, for me -- it became too convoluted, but I thoroughly enjoyed the seasons I was engaged in.

Also, really liked the addition of the great Michiel Huisman, but I stopped watching the season after he was added. HE is a fantastic actor (Treme, GoT)

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Jim Carey ... not even remotely funny and his movies suck.
He's actually a very underrated actor.

Seen Man on the Moon? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? The Truman Show? There's a documentary, which name slips my mind, about how he became Andy Kaufman. He enveloped the roll, became Kaufman, to the point where it was hurting himself and he shutting himself off from others during filming. And the performance, itself, was stunning.

Lukin, you actually identified a severely underrated actor, by default. LOL

lukin2006

Reaction score
He's actually a very underrated actor.

Seen Man on the Moon? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? There's a documentary, who's name slips my mind, about how he became Andy Kaufman. He enveloped the roll, became Kaufman, to the point it was hurting himself and he shutting himself off from others during filming. And the performance was stunning.

Lukin, you actually identified a severely underrated actor, by default. LOL

I do not like Jim Carey ... I do understand his comedy is not for everyone, especially me...

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I do not like Jim Carey ... I do understand his comedy is not for everyone, especially me...
Thing is, his range goes beyond comedy. That's my point. If you think his slapstick, 90s in-your-face comedy falls flat, fine. But if you think he lacks acting chops and range, well, I adamantly disagree.