Twitter: Overshown eager to make it back

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I think the issue with linebacker play is if you don’t break the bank for it you are gonna get mediocre play. I don’t think it’s as easy as people think it is. I think rookies are how you fix your linebacker position not vets.
As it stands, we need to replace starting LT or LG, starting C, starting RB, we need to replace LVE, replace Fowler and Armstrong, address DT, we are down a 4th round pick, and the salary cap is in rough shape. We will also be learning a new defensive scheme, meaning no veteran assistance in training the new guys up.

With that in mind, how are we to address a major weakness by simply bringing in a couple of rookies? You don't have to break the bank to find starting caliber linebackers....something we don't have right now. You just need to find the right guys that know the system to plug the hole.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As it stands, we need to replace starting LT or LG, starting C, starting RB, we need to replace LVE, replace Fowler and Armstrong, address DT, we are down a 4th round pick, and the salary cap is in rough shape. We will also be learning a new defensive scheme, meaning no veteran assistance in training the new guys up.

With that in mind, how are we to address a major weakness by simply bringing in a couple of rookies? You don't have to break the bank to find starting caliber linebackers....something we don't have right now. You just need to find the right guys that know the system to plug the hole.
I’m speaking strictly if you want good linebacker play. If you want linebackers other teams don’t want then yeah you could go to free agency and get it but I don’t know if there a upgrade.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
How relevant will he be in Zimmer's defense. He's not really the "Zimmer' type of LB is he?

Overshown had a role to play in Quinn's defense but isn't he small in Zimmer's type of defense?
I agree with you, Overshown may need to put on weight, to play LB in this Zimmer scheme. Or he could be a strong safety for this defense as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's a great player and much needed, however, most players never return 100percent after a torn ACL.
I wouldn’t say most players don’t. More return to form now than they did years ago. Micheal Irvin went on to have a Hall of Fame career after an ACL. We’ll have to see with Overshown. It’s going to take time to get back to where he was if he ever does. I’m not going to get too excited about him because he might be one of those players who always gets hurt and has trouble staying on the field. We’ve been through that before with a few players.

rambo2

Reaction score
I never said that. I said that this front office will not address the position for another 3 years while waiting to see if this guy is it or not.
They are going to sign some free agent linebackers.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m speaking strictly if you want good linebacker play. If you want linebackers other teams don’t want then yeah you could go to free agency and get it but I don’t know if there a upgrade.
It wouldn't take much to upgrade what we saw after LVE went down. There are guys being released across the league that could come in and fill the spots adequately or better. You don't need all stars at every position, but you do need guys that know how to play assignment football. Give me a disciplined vet or two and draft a guy early and we're light years ahead of where we were in the playoffs.

shabazz

Reaction score
Considering the pace he was on last year how could anyone NOT be excited to see him the field again???
Are you already forgetting about the extra 1 year that our players always seem to need AFTER being medically cleared?

I'll be excited for him at the start of the 2025 season instead

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It wouldn't take much to upgrade what we saw after LVE went down. There are guys being released across the league that could come in and fill the spots adequately or better. You don't need all stars at every position, but you do need guys that know how to play assignment football. Give me a disciplined vet or two and draft a guy early and we're light years ahead of where we were in the playoffs.
Ok let me rephrase. I think in order to contend you need better than average linebacker play. So yes you can upgrade from what we had because it wasn’t anything. I’m not advocating all stars but you need good linebackers who can change the game. It’s just what i noticed in the playoffs. Guys making game changing plays every game. They don’t have to be all stars just game changers.

vlad

Reaction score
It did, but he's not wrong. Linebacker play was bad after LVE went down. With him out if the picture, we can't bank on a guy coming off of reconstructive knee surgery to fix the weakness of this team. We need a couple of starters. Bring in 2-3 good players at the position and see if Overshown can win the spot.
You sir clearly have lost your anointing oil, bro killed 4 practice sessions = hall of fame,

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The morons in the front office are gonna bank this dude is a difference maker. Once they see he's not during the year, they'll claim it takes a year to completely heal. Then they'll skip adding a LB again next year because he had 3 tackles in the 3rd quarter of a pre season game. This team's front office is stupid.
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

speedkilz88

Reaction score
How relevant will he be in Zimmer's defense. He's not really the "Zimmer' type of LB is he?

Overshown had a role to play in Quinn's defense but isn't he small in Zimmer's type of defense?
He was 229 at the combine. He's big enough for Will LB in Zimmer's scheme at that size. But guys do get bigger in the nfl. Ken Norton wasn't 250 as a rookie (he was 230). Darrin Smith I'm pretty sure was also 229.

Last edited:

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
It's truly sad you know nothing about Mike Zimmer.
Oh word? So Zimmer has experience of being gone from the league for 3 years and helping essentially a 3rd round rookie with a messed up knee become an immediate high level contributer in less than a year? Missed that on his Wikipedia page

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Oh word? So Zimmer has experience of being gone from the league for 3 years and helping essentially a 3rd round rookie with a messed up knee become an immediate high level contributer in less than a year? Missed that on his Wikipedia page
Zimmer will have 3 LBs on the field for early downs. They most definitely will be getting more LBs.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Zimmer will have 3 LBs on the field for early downs. They most definitely will be getting more LBs.
ahhh I see what you're saying. Not that Overshown is gonna be this high level player, but that Zimmer will make sure we have enough LBs regardless to prevent relying only on Overshown..To that point, let's hope they sign quality LBs that aren't from the bargain bin then

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
You sir clearly have lost your anointing oil, bro killed 4 practice sessions = hall of fame,
Lol funny enough, I'm excited about Overshown. I think he has a bright future ahead of him, but to say going into the year with him and Clark as your starting linebacker is risky is the understatement of the year. We need playmakers and depth at the position. If we bring in some competition, and IF he ends up being what he's expected to become, we have both. If not, at least we have players that know how to play the position.

plasticman

Reaction score
He was 229 at the combine. He's big enough for Will LB in Zimmer's scheme at that size. But guys do get bigger in the nfl. Ken Norton wasn't 250 as a rookie (he was 230). Darrin Smith I'm pretty sure was also 229.
Pro Football Reference has him listed at 220 but that could be incorrect. Besides, I supposed he could put on weight if he had to.