Overshown has reportedly put on close to 15 pounds, and he talks Mike Zimmer

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Are you ready for some breaking offseason news, ladies and gentlemen?

“And, speaking of Zimmer, it's well-known how much he demands of linebackers in his defensive schemes. Overshown entered the league under Dan Quinn, who is now head coach of the Washington Commanders, and is now adjusting to his second NFL defensive coordinator in as many years.

It's been an easy transition though, and one born-and-bred Texas native is embracing with open arms.

"I like Zim, because he actually teaches us football," he said. "You feel it and you get a good grasp of everything going on with the defense. You know what the safeties [are doing] and what the D-line are doing in front of you, and it's easy to click with everybody."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/overshown-on-bulkier-frame-zimmer-expectations

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Let the offseason propaganda flow . . . .

Its funny how fast DQ ruined his reputation in Dallas. He was highly regarded here not so long ago. After several in season debacles and that GB massacre, everyone moved on rather quickly. Hopefully Overshown and Zimmer are studs leading to huge success here in Dallas but I'm not going to eat the cheese on this kind of stuff.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Its funny how fast DQ ruined his reputation in Dallas. He was highly regarded here not so long ago. After several in season debacles and that GB massacre, everyone moved on rather quickly. Hopefully Overshown and Zimmer are studs leading to huge success here in Dallas but I'm not going to eat the cheese on this kind of stuff.
You realize that this is just natural in sports it's not propaganda people stick microphones in people's faces 100 times more than they used to 20 years ago and they need stories so they scratch deep to find them , not a big deal nothing to see here if you don't want to believe it or you don't care that's one thing but they're gonna happen no matter what there's oversaturation of sports media and social media and then you have to find stories to write when there's not a lot of stories to talk about....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overshown is an intriguing prospect for our defense. His speed and range make him a great modern LB candidate. Adding some weight this off-season should help him better handle taking on NFL size guards and RBs in the running game.

I used the word “candidate” because he still has to prove he can do it beyond training camp and ps games. Hope he can. He’s certainly got tools to work with.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You realize that this is just natural in sports it's not propaganda people stick microphones in people's faces 100 times more than they used to 20 years ago and they need stories so they scratch deep to find them , not a big deal nothing to see here if you don't want to believe it or you don't care that's one thing but they're gonna happen no matter what there's oversaturation of sports media and social media and then you have to find stories to write when there's not a lot of stories to talk about....
You‘re right that there is a glut of information in sports compared to 20-30 years ago. Over-saturation is an accurate term.

IMO- All the more reason to be mindful that some information is more PR than reality. Nothing wrong at all with being excited about positive stories. But not all sports information has the same level of accuracy.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think most fans are oblivious to the successes and failures of Quinn as well as Zimmer, both with the Vikings as well as during his previous time with the Cowboys.

The Cowboys were not getting pressure and not getting turnovers, so Quinn was a breath of fresh air for fans in that respect.

That combined with Parsons arrival and Diggs and Bland becoming interception magnets made the defense more exciting than it had been in years, if not decades.

The problem is that while that style of defense is exciting and fun to watch, it tends to struggle against teams when 1) it does not produce turnovers and 2) the other team has the players and coaches to counter the attacks effectively.

As the old saying goes, you live by the sword and die by the sword, and in Quinn's case, that perfectly describes his defense.

The Cowboys have a history of solving the problem-of-the-moment while usually forgetting or ignoring the previously solved problem the last change fixed.

With Quinn, the Cowboys defense got lighter and faster and that led to more quarterback pressures and more turnovers in many games, but suffered against teams with solid running games and/or a fast-paced offenses.

Bringing in Zimmer should help improve the run defense and slow down the fast-paced offenses the Cowboys face, but it will likely lead to less quarterback pressures and less turnovers.

With a roster limit of 53, it's impossible for teams to be good against every style of offense and defense and that is why, for better or worse, the Cowboys front office tends to focus on countering the styles from the teams they will likely play in the playoffs.

The Green Bay game was a shocker for most Cowboys fans, and probably Jerry as well, and I have no doubt had the Cowboys played the Packers again a week or two later, the game would have been more competitive (though still likely a Cowboys loss).

Unfortunately though, you only get one shot in the playoffs against a team, and you either win or you lose.

The lasting impression that Cowboys fans, the media and the Jones family has of the Cowboys 2023 season is having their butts kicked on national TV in front of millions of people.

After that, replacing any coach would likely bring in a little optimism on some level.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think most fans are oblivious to the successes and failures of Quinn as well as Zimmer, both with the Vikings as well as during his previous time with the Cowboys.

The Cowboys were not getting pressure and not getting turnovers, so Quinn was a breath of fresh air for fans in that respect.

That combined with Parsons arrival and Diggs and Bland becoming interception magnets made the defense more exciting than it had been in years, if not decades.

The problem is that while that style of defense is exciting and fun to watch, it tends to struggle against teams when 1) it does not produce turnovers and 2) the other team has the players and coaches to counter the attacks effectively.

As the old saying goes, you live by the sword and die by the sword, and in Quinn's case, that perfectly describes his defense.

The Cowboys have a history of solving the problem-of-the-moment while usually forgetting or ignoring the previously solved problem the last change fixed.

With Quinn, the Cowboys defense got lighter and faster and that led to more quarterback pressures and more turnovers in many games, but suffered against teams with solid running games and/or a fast-paced offenses.

Bringing in Zimmer should help improve the run defense and slow down the fast-paced offenses the Cowboys face, but it will likely lead to less quarterback pressures and less turnovers.

With a roster limit of 53, it's impossible for teams to be good against every style of offense and defense and that is why, for better or wors, the Cowboys front office tends to focus on countering the styles from the teams they will likely play in the playoffs.

The Green Bay game was a shocker for most Cowboys fans, and probably Jerry as well, and I have no doubt had the Cowboys played the Packers again a week or two later, the game would have been more competitive (though still likely a Cowboys loss).

Unfortunately though, you only get one shot in the playoffs against a team, and you either win or you lose.

The lasting impression that Cowboys fans, the media and the Jones family has of the Cowboys 2023 season is having their butts kicked on national TV in front of millions of people.

After that, replacing any coach would likely bring in a little optimism on some level.
That is an excellent summation not only of Dan Quinn’s style of defense, but also the pros and cons of that style of defense.

We saw first hand many times, especially last season, that if the Cowboys got off to an early lead and forced opponents to have to pass, our pass rush and ball hawking abilities were top shelf. But the flip side was if we ran into a team that had a physical run game and they in turn got upon us early, it neutered our defense’s strengths.

The games against the cards, niners, bills and later packers all showed our weaknesses on D. Remains to be seen if Zimmer can shore up the run stopping ability. But I agree 100% that under Zimmer we will probably see less to’s.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That is an excellent summation not only of Dan Quinn’s style of defense, but also the pros and cons of that style of defense.

We saw first hand many times, especially last season, that if the Cowboys got off to an early lead and forced opponents to have to pass, our pass rush and ball hawking abilities were top shelf. But the flip side was if we ran into a team that had a physical run game and they in turn got upon us early, it neutered our defense’s strengths.

The games against the cards, niners, bills and later packers all showed our weaknesses on D. Remains to be seen if Zimmer can shore up the run stopping ability. But I agree 100% that under Zimmer we will probably see less to’s.
Yep, was about to write something similar.

Much different team when playing with a lead…which is much more difficult to make happen vs the better teams.

If Im an OC playing against Dallas, I wouldn’t abandon the run even if down three scores. That formula ought to be obvious.

Zimmers scheme may help that to whatever degree it possibly can, but he can’t go out there and play, and that middle is still soft.

One of the rarely mentioned questions about this season is running Zimmers scheme with Quinn’s players.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, was about to write something similar.

Much different team when playing with a lead…which is much more difficult to make happen vs the better teams.

If Im an OC playing against Dallas, I wouldn’t abandon the run even if down three scores. That formula ought to be obvious.

Zimmers scheme may help that to whatever degree it possibly can, but he can’t go out there and play, and that middle is still soft.

One of the rarely mentioned questions about this season is running Zimmers scheme with Quinn’s players.
Running Zimmer’s schemes with Quinn’s players…”
Sounds like a great idea for a post.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overshown is an intriguing prospect for our defense. His speed and range make him a great modern LB candidate. Adding some weight this off-season should help him better handle taking on NFL size guards and RBs in the running game.

I used the word “candidate” because he still has to prove he can do it beyond training camp and ps games. Hope he can. He’s certainly got tools to work with.
He should be really good at sealing the edge, even if he doesn't actually make the tackle.

We need some big inside LBer to stuff the hole.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be really good at sealing the edge, even if he doesn't actually make the tackle.

We need some big inside LBer to stuff the hole.
Agree. So who is going to be that “big inside LB to stuff the hole”? I guess Eric Kendricks but at 32 that may be a gamble.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. So who is going to be that “big inside LB to stuff the hole”? I guess Eric Kendricks but at 32 that may be a gamble.
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Two (F) words that come with Dan Quinn and his players, he wants to be their Friend, and he wants them to Fit

blueblood70

Reaction score
Running Zimmer’s schemes with Quinn’s players…”
Sounds like a great idea for a post.
But you're welcome obviously to write an article but I don't think there's anything to write around the league nobody changes out their entire roster to meet the new coordinators or head coaches if they have the need if the contracts are voidable you know where they make it worth canceling you can you can replace a handful but you're not replacing an entire roster of defenders because Quinn left by the way he inherited a lot of those guys they're not all his guys...

And he also took like five of them I mean they're already naturally being replaced but I don't see how you think Trayvon diggs or Deron bland are gonna play any different just because quinn is gone. A lot of the players they're interchangeable it's how they're used what rotation what situational football packages you have for certain guys they would be used differently with Mike Zimmer but the players can fit the scheme you just have to make sure you utilize them correctly you don't put them in a situation where they're not gonna succeed that's been the problem with teams but for sure most teams replace 17% of their staff anyway and when we drafted we drafted for Zimmer kendricks was for Zimmer but again most of our superstars can play in any system I mean that's like saying that we're not gonna be successful and Mike McCarthy system since Jason garrett's been gone but yet we still have one of the top offenses in the league mostly the same guys.. We literally were the highest scoring offense last year and as much as we wanna fix the run game a lot of those players were Jason Garrett squad that are still here the important people....

So every team goes through this and you can only replace so many if you want to shorten my reply that would be it and most of the superstars can fit in anywhere you just have to utilize them correctly and I'm totally believe Mike Zimmer has enough skins on his wall that he'll find a way to make our stars shine even in his defense...​