Overshown has reportedly put on close to 15 pounds, and he talks Mike Zimmer

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I don't think most fans are oblivious to the successes and failures of Quinn as well as Zimmer, both with the Vikings as well as during his previous time with the Cowboys.

With Quinn, the Cowboys defense got lighter and faster and that led to more quarterback pressures and more turnovers in many games, but suffered against teams with solid running games and/or a fast-paced offenses.

Bringing in Zimmer should help improve the run defense and slow down the fast-paced offenses the Cowboys face, but it will likely lead to less quarterback pressures and less turnovers.
This.... but the problem with this defense is its all finesse and when no sacks / turnovers it becomes less effective. This doesnt bode well against Physical teams,smashmouth running teams Or strong OL and RBs and physical run blocking WRs. As we saw against SF, GB and other teams.

Zimmer will bring back traditional 4-3 DL, and will have better LB play hopefully. But, how that will fare against strong passing teams is to be seen.

In anyevent, our DL until they play, smash mouth physical defense, and make the ball carriers feel the pain even when they succeed, it wont be a factor in playoff type games.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Overshown is an intriguing prospect for our defense. His speed and range make him a great modern LB candidate. Adding some weight this off-season should help him better handle taking on NFL size guards and RBs in the running game.

I used the word “candidate” because he still has to prove he can do it beyond training camp and ps games. Hope he can. He’s certainly got tools to work with.
He has great enthusiasm and is highly motivated. The sky is the limit

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I don't think most fans are oblivious to the successes and failures of Quinn as well as Zimmer, both with the Vikings as well as during his previous time with the Cowboys.

The Cowboys were not getting pressure and not getting turnovers, so Quinn was a breath of fresh air for fans in that respect.

That combined with Parsons arrival and Diggs and Bland becoming interception magnets made the defense more exciting than it had been in years, if not decades.

The problem is that while that style of defense is exciting and fun to watch, it tends to struggle against teams when 1) it does not produce turnovers and 2) the other team has the players and coaches to counter the attacks effectively.

As the old saying goes, you live by the sword and die by the sword, and in Quinn's case, that perfectly describes his defense.

The Cowboys have a history of solving the problem-of-the-moment while usually forgetting or ignoring the previously solved problem the last change fixed.

With Quinn, the Cowboys defense got lighter and faster and that led to more quarterback pressures and more turnovers in many games, but suffered against teams with solid running games and/or a fast-paced offenses.

Bringing in Zimmer should help improve the run defense and slow down the fast-paced offenses the Cowboys face, but it will likely lead to less quarterback pressures and less turnovers.

With a roster limit of 53, it's impossible for teams to be good against every style of offense and defense and that is why, for better or worse, the Cowboys front office tends to focus on countering the styles from the teams they will likely play in the playoffs.

The Green Bay game was a shocker for most Cowboys fans, and probably Jerry as well, and I have no doubt had the Cowboys played the Packers again a week or two later, the game would have been more competitive (though still likely a Cowboys loss).

Unfortunately though, you only get one shot in the playoffs against a team, and you either win or you lose.

The lasting impression that Cowboys fans, the media and the Jones family has of the Cowboys 2023 season is having their butts kicked on national TV in front of millions of people.

After that, replacing any coach would likely bring in a little optimism on some level.
Just to be clear, I was a huge fan of DQ's up until the GB game.

To explain, I understand DQ's philosophy and think it makes sense. He tries to limit big plays while also trying to generate QB pressure and get turnovers. For the most part, that's winning football. Its kind of similar to Marinelli's bend but don't break concept with an emphasis on pass rush and turnovers. Teams normally have trouble going down the field 5 yards at a time.

The GB game was freaky though. DQ backed off the coverage. When it was obvious that GB could and would run the ball all game long, DQ had no adjustment and no answer. The coaching was so bad that it spawned conspiracy theories about him throwing the game.

Going forward, I worry that Zim is going to fix the run game at the cost of either more big plays or less turnovers or less QB pressure.

plymkr

Reaction score
You‘re right that there is a glut of information in sports compared to 20-30 years ago. Over-saturation is an accurate term.

IMO- All the more reason to be mindful that some information is more PR than reality. Nothing wrong at all with being excited about positive stories. But not all sports information has the same level of accuracy.
I miss the good ol days when it wasn’t reported every time someone scratched their butt or changed shoes.

plymkr

Reaction score
Are you ready for some breaking offseason news, ladies and gentlemen?

“And, speaking of Zimmer, it's well-known how much he demands of linebackers in his defensive schemes. Overshown entered the league under Dan Quinn, who is now head coach of the Washington Commanders, and is now adjusting to his second NFL defensive coordinator in as many years.

It's been an easy transition though, and one born-and-bred Texas native is embracing with open arms.

"I like Zim, because he actually teaches us football," he said. "You feel it and you get a good grasp of everything going on with the defense. You know what the safeties [are doing] and what the D-line are doing in front of you, and it's easy to click with everybody."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/overshown-on-bulkier-frame-zimmer-expectations

Encouraging. I’m excited he put on 15 pounds of muscle. We need muscle in the run game. Also I found it odd that he said Zimmer teaches defense and that’s different than Quinn. He specifically said the LBers know what the safeties are doing, etc. which takes me back to the Green Bay game. No one on defense looked like they practiced together all season. Very interesting.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zim has assigned Overshown as our weak side LB. Much is expected from this young man. I can't wait to see him in action.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
O is the guy I’m really excited about going into this season. I think he plays a big role with how this defense comes together this season. Call me a Homer or whatever.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Let the offseason propaganda flow . . . .

Its funny how fast DQ ruined his reputation in Dallas. He was highly regarded here not so long ago. After several in season debacles and that GB massacre, everyone moved on rather quickly. Hopefully Overshown and Zimmer are studs leading to huge success here in Dallas but I'm not going to eat the cheese on this kind of stuff.
It wasn’t just the GB game, but the previous 2 playoff games as well.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I was a huge fan of DQ's up until the GB game.

To explain, I understand DQ's philosophy and think it makes sense. He tries to limit big plays while also trying to generate QB pressure and get turnovers. For the most part, that's winning football. Its kind of similar to Marinelli's bend but don't break concept with an emphasis on pass rush and turnovers. Teams normally have trouble going down the field 5 yards at a time.

The GB game was freaky though. DQ backed off the coverage. When it was obvious that GB could and would run the ball all game long, DQ had no adjustment and no answer. The coaching was so bad that it spawned conspiracy theories about him throwing the game.

Going forward, I worry that Zim is going to fix the run game at the cost of either more big plays or less turnovers or less QB pressure.
I definitely think the TO’s will go down, but I think that would be a natural thing to happen when putting up gaudy TO’s for a few years straight. I’m expecting it. The QB pressures is my biggest concern because it will force the timing to be off on throws, and that is something that is just as important to the defensive success as TO’s and sacks. I hope he does emphasize the rush considering he has some horses to get home.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

The Cowboys were not getting pressure and not getting turnovers, so Quinn was a breath of fresh air for fans in that respect.

That combined with Parsons arrival and Diggs and Bland becoming interception magnets made the defense more exciting than it had been in years, if not decades.

The problem is that while that style of defense is exciting and fun to watch, it tends to struggle against teams when 1) it does not produce turnovers and 2) the other team has the players and coaches to counter the attacks effectively.

As the old saying goes, you live by the sword and die by the sword, and in Quinn's case, that perfectly describes his defense.

The Cowboys have a history of solving the problem-of-the-moment while usually forgetting or ignoring the previously solved problem the last change fixed.

With a roster limit of 53, it's impossible for teams to be good against every style of offense and defense and that is why, for better or worse, the Cowboys front office tends to focus on countering the styles from the teams they will likely play in the playoffs.

The Green Bay game was a shocker for most Cowboys fans, and probably Jerry as well, and I have no doubt had the Cowboys played the Packers again a week or two later, the game would have been more competitive (though still likely a Cowboys loss).

Unfortunately though, you only get one shot in the playoffs against a team, and you either win or you lose.

The lasting impression that Cowboys fans, the media and the Jones family has of the Cowboys 2023 season is having their butts kicked on national TV in front of millions of people.

After that, replacing any coach would likely bring in a little optimism on some level.
Some fans are use to video game cheat codes where they can literally cheat to advance. So they expect that in all aspects of their lives and are incapable of realizing how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl. Lot of factors in play including you need some luck. The GB playoff game was like going under the knife with no anesthesia. It was painful. But some good things came out of that game. A new coach as you mentioned. Zimmer gives me a lot of hope that the ability to stop the run could be better. I’d gladly give up the gaudy sacks and turnovers for a more dependable all around defense who can stop the run in the playoffs.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I'm really, really high on this player, but please...don't say "all-in". At least play a full season before you get infected with the culture.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
It wasn’t just the GB game, but the previous 2 playoff games as well.
I'm confused. Quinn was DC for 4 playoff games. In those games, the team gave up:
23 points vs SF
14 points vs TB
19 points vs SF
41 points vs GB

The defense didn't pitch shut outs but performed more than well enough to go 3-0 in DQ's first 3 playoff games. Giving up 19p vs SF and 14p vs TB in the playoffs certainly isn't something to fire a DC over.

Zordon

Reaction score
He will be the biggest letdown for this forum. Can’t stay healthy.

gtb1943

Reaction score
So now he is 235. Which is good; he was simply too light for 6'3 and a LB at 220. Assuming he has not lost any quickness or agility, he is more likely to be able to play without getting broken in half

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm confused. Quinn was DC for 4 playoff games. In those games, the team gave up:
23 points vs SF
14 points vs TB
19 points vs SF
41 points vs GB

The defense didn't pitch shut outs but performed more than well enough to go 3-0 in DQ's first 3 playoff games. Giving up 19p vs SF and 14p vs TB in the playoffs certainly isn't something to fire a DC over.
:lmao: :lmao: