Pa. governor sues NCAA over Penn State sanctions

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941624 said:
The NCAA is, of course, going to throw Penn St. under the bus here. For all the reasons I have state earlier, the NCAA has very, very strong reasons why they want PSU to take the fall here. I am not questioning that but, it's also not the driving reason why PSU has to accept this. The thing that drove Penn St. Football was perception. They were perceived as the Gold Standard for a very long time in College Sports. Even in their decline in later years, they were still perceived as devoid of talent but well coached and intelligent. They were never perceived as cheaters or Child Molesters or what have you. They are now and because of that, you will never draw. You will not reach the heights you once did with recruiting and you will never regain that stature you once had. You must accept this and move on if you want to return to what you once were.

It's a separate issue all together. This Country is a forgiving one but only if you show remorse. Only if you accept the judgement of the people and pay for the crime, so to speak, in the eyes of the people. If you do that, they will forgive. If you do not, you are done. This is what I believe.

The very best thing Penn State could do right now is let this Governor do whatever it is he wants to do but simply accept the judgement and move on. Don't get involved with all of that. It's only going to keep the wounds open and Penn State will continue to bleed. What will eventually happen is that the NCAA will be brought into the mix, questions that have not been asked will be asked, evidence that has not been presented may come to light and the NCAA may get theirs in the end because of this. As for PSU, take it and move on. That's the only way you will regain the confidence of the masses.

Well, if it means making innocent people suffer for what a few bad people did I guess I will have to not "accept it". I completely disagree that for the sake of the NCAA wanting to appear morally superior the innocent have to suffer. Screw the NCAA.

Punish those who did wrong and move on. The utter stupidity of punishing the masses for the sins of a few are counter to the way of life we have (or had) in this country.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
burmafrd;4941619 said:
wanna talk about their head stuck up their rear end?

Look in the mirror

Nah, I just have to look at you and I see it.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941551 said:
:laugh2:

Yep.

It's like that scene in Brokeback Mountain: "I just can't quit you." :D

So they remain in the closet and attempt to be coy about it (e.g. thread on Sheriff Joe), but us old PZers know the truth and can see behind their thinly veiled desire for a fix.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Sasquatch;4941662 said:

So they remain in the closet and attempt to be coy about it (e.g. thread on Sheriff Joe), but us old PZers know the truth and their need for a fix.

It's a love hate thing.

He hates to love me and loves to hate me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941655 said:
Well, if it means making innocent people suffer for what a few bad people did I guess I will have to not "accept it". I completely disagree that for the sake of the NCAA wanting to appear morally superior the innocent have to suffer. Screw the NCAA.

You may disagree with it if you like. That is, of course, your prerogative. For the record, I never said that what the NCAA is doing was right. I said it didn't matter. I said the issue at hand for PSU was a question of public perception and in order to change that perception, you must accept the punishment.

Punish those who did wrong and move on. The utter stupidity of punishing the masses for the sins of a few are counter to the way of life we have (or had) in this country.
The University did do wrong. Perhaps not every individual associated with the University but then, those folks are not the people who are "The University". I don't think that only the University should be punished and I have made this very clear but I am also trying to be very clear on the point that yes, the University should also be punished. That means that the program has to suffer for it's part in this. I don't see any way around that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sasquatch;4941662 said:

So they remain in the closet and attempt to be coy about it (e.g. thread on Sheriff Joe), but us old PZers know the truth and can see behind their thinly veiled desire for a fix.

Careful, your going to get me to delete my own post here in a minute.

:laugh2:

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941689 said:
You may disagree with it if you like. That is, of course, your prerogative. For the record, I never said that what the NCAA is doing was right. I said it didn't matter. I said the issue at hand for PSU was a question of public perception and in order to change that perception, you must accept the punishment.

The University did do wrong. Perhaps not every individual associated with the University but then, those folks are not the people who are "The University". I don't think that only the University should be punished and I have made this very clear but I am also trying to be very clear in on the point that yes, the University should also be punished. That means that the program has to suffer for it's part in this. I don't see any way around that.

So massive jail time and never being able to show your face in public isn't enough anymore, we must now punish innocent people. Awesome!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941697 said:
So massive jail time and never being able to show your face in public isn't enough anymore, we must now punish innocent people. Awesome!

What innocent people are you referring to?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941705 said:
What innocent people are you referring to?

Every player, teacher, alumni, current player, or anyone associated with the University that had NOTHING to do with this. That is why you punish those who are responsible as opposed to paining with a broad brush.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941709 said:
Every player, teacher, alumni, current player, or anyone associated with the University that had NOTHING to do with this. That is why you punish those who are responsible as opposed to paining with a broad brush.

Well, I believe that Players had the option to transfer with no penalty, is that correct?

How are teachers being punished? How are alumni and whomever else being punished?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941723 said:
Well, I believe that Players had the option to transfer with no penalty, is that correct?

How are teachers being punished? How are alumni and whomever else being punished?

How about I just use one of your own posts to answer that...

ABQCOWBOY;4941546 said:
The real issue here is the perception the public has with Penn St. PSU must accept this and move on. It's the only way the public will allow them to come back into the fold. If they don't do this, PSU will never reclaim the stature it once had. The best thing for PSU is to just accept the punishment and move on IMO.

That's just what I think Cajun.

I think it is pretty obvious what I meant.

Look, today is my 50th birthday and I am not going to spend the rest of the night debating what I think is a fairly straightforward witch hunt. I will adress any thing else tomorrow when I get a chance.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941733 said:
How about I just use one of your own posts to answer that...

I think it is pretty obvious what I meant.

Fair enough. How would you propose fixing this? What could anybody do to prevent public perception towards this?

I understand how this might make folks who attended PSU fell, I do. However, it's the exact reason you must move on. What are you going to do, other then try and change public perception on the issue, to fix this problem? If you accept that this is the only solution, what other way is there to accomplish this then to accept the punishment and move on?

If you have another idea, I'm willing to listen.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941637 said:
Hey hey hey! There is only one fact that gets any play around here. Don't you know that?

Other than Sandusky, Curley and Schultz need to go down and go down hard. But this continued falsity that the entire University is corrupt and must pay is lunacy.

Tim was never told anything more than horseplay/boundary issues were involved, I'm very, very sure of that. I don't know what Shultz knew.

Spanier was himself a victim of abuse so I doubt he would have looked the other way if he truly believed abuse was occurring.

What seems more believable...McQueary's story changed over time or four highly educated, successful men orchestrated the most bumbling, stumbling cover up in history.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4941741 said:
Tim was never told anything more than horseplay/boundary issues were involved, I'm very, very sure of that. I don't know what Shultz knew.

Spanier was himself a victim of abuse so I doubt he would have looked the other way if he truly believed abuse was occurring.

What seems more believable...McQueary's story changed over time or four highly educated, successful men orchestrated the most bumbling, stumbling cover up in history.

Do you believe that PSU must accept the punishement and move on Stan? I mean, I don't know who all new what. I do believe that at the highest levels, the University new and I am convinced that the NCAA new and looked the other way but who all new, I don't know.

I just think it's a different issue then just NCAA violations. I think it has more to do with the people forgiving Penn State.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941646 said:
You are an example of someone who thinks they are a moral superior. You think the everyone at the University has to suffer for the misdeeds of a few. You sound very much like a lib who colors all conservatives as racist.

You don't have the very first clue what you are talking about.

Enough with the innocent victim card. It's weak to begin with and is pretty much an unavoidable byproduct.

It happens. Deal with it.

Also, I question your political motive. Looks like a lame attempt at getting the thread shut down after you've pretty much defended the indefensible again.

Leave your emotional baggage at the door. That university got what it deserved.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941739 said:
Fair enough. How would you propose fixing this? What could anybody do to prevent public perception towards this?

I understand how this might make folks who attended PSU fell, I do. However, it's the exact reason you must move on. What are you going to do, other then try and change public perception on the issue, to fix this problem? If you accept that this is the only solution, what other way is there to accomplish this then to accept the punishment and move on?

If you have another idea, I'm willing to listen.

At the beginning of the whole mess had they gone after the real perpetrators rather than painting an entire university with a broad brush they could have made an example of the the ones who deserved it. But very few even know the names involved other than Sandusky and Paterno. So by virtue of that it's Penn State.

Simply prosecuting the individuals to the fullest extent of the law and removing them from their positions is what justice is all about. All this superfluous nonsense about "the university" being at fault is at best ludicrous. The perception that a brick and mortar facility and it's people that were so far removed from the situation has any liability and thus should be punished is absurd at best.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4941751 said:
Enough with the innocent victim card. It's weak to begin with and is pretty much an unavoidable byproduct.

It happens. Deal with it.

Also, I question your political motive. Looks like a lame attempt at getting the thread shut down after you've pretty much defended the indefensible again.

Leave your emotional baggage at the door. That university got what it deserved.

Look like the only one trying to get it shut down is you with your incendiary remarks.

I know you have a hard time handling issues when people disagree with you as evidenced in your posting history but as of this point, I have done nor said anything to get this thread shut down. As a matter of fact, I think it should stay open. But people like you would like it shut down because you can't handle facts when they are presented.

But it would be typical of a person like you to want to shut people up that don't agree with your half baked thoughts.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941767 said:
At the beginning of the whole mess had they gone after the real perpetrators rather than painting an entire university with a broad brush they could have made an example of the the ones who deserved it. But very few even know the names involved other than Sandusky and Paterno. So by virtue of that it's Penn State.

Simply prosecuting the individuals to the fullest extent of the law and removing them from their positions is what justice is all about. All this superfluous nonsense about "the university" being at fault is at best ludicrous. The perception that a brick and mortar facility and it's people that were so far removed from the situation has any liability and thus should be punished is absurd at best.

OK, I don't know that I agree with all of this 100% but lets say, for the sake of discussion that I see your point. What can you do, other then accept the punishment, can you do?

Not accepting it is only going to worsen the situation and I don't think that's what anybody wants. Even in the unlikely event this governor wins, that's not going to solve the real problem. In fact, it will only make it worse.

We can pick this back up tomorrow. Why don't you go enjoy your Birthday Cajun.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4941774 said:
OK, I don't know that I agree with all of this 100% but lets say, for the sake of discussion that I see your point. What can you do, other then accept the punishment, can you do?

Not accepting it is only going to worsen the situation and I don't think that's what anybody wants. Even in the unlikely event this governor wins, that's not going to solve the real problem. In fact, it will only make it worse.

We can pick this back up tomorrow. Why don't you go enjoy your Birthday Cajun.

Then that is the individuals problem if they are unable to separate the perception from reality. Justice is what is important.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4941778 said:
Then that is the individuals problem if they are unable to separate the perception from reality. Justice is what is important.

And here I thought it was Penn State and the children. I think your wrong here Cajun but I can see that this is not an issue that you will move on.

It's OK. Ultimately, it is up to Penn State to accept or not. I hope they do accept and move on. I feel like it's the only way you can put this entire thing behind you.

Happy Birthday Cajun.