Packer Fans - Revisionist history already at work...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A choice thread from a Packer board...

big ror Yesterday, 11:06 PM Post #1

Obviously, home field advantage—barring the Cowboys going on an unexpected losing streak—was at stake. Yes, I understand that.

However, I feel that the Packers potentially could gain more from this loss than the Cowboys could gain from the win.

Home field advantage aside, the Packers can look at this game as viable proof that they are a complete team. Consider the context. KGB is out. Woodson is out. Favre goes out in the second quarter. The team is down by 17. To be down three in the early part of the fourth quarter, and seven in the later part of the fourth quarter under those circumstances is something to build upon.

The Packers proved tonight that they are not a one man show. Yes, Favre is indubitably a significant reason why this team is 10-2 (after tonight), but this game proved that the Packers are a good TEAM. When their leader left the game, the Packers responded—big time.

Rodgers did not play outstanding, but he played very well (one might say very, very well), especially considering the circumstances. The future looks much brighter after tonight than it did yesterday, and for those of you clamoring for A-Rod to get more playing time *cough*GBP4EVER*cough* this game provided empirical evidence that he can carry the load. To be honest, if you wanted to subject A-Rod to the most severe circumstances, tonight would be thee night. More importantly, I think he responded beautifully. He proved that he is a viable option at quarterback when Favre retires. Some people believed he was the real deal after his preseason performance; others still had their doubts. To be honest, after tonight, my doubts have dissipated. Consider the magnitude of tonight’s game, Rodger’s displayed not only the moxie and confidence I want from my quarterbacks but also the desire to win. Rodgers knew that most people thought the game was over when he came in—he was the backup quarterback facing a 17 point hole on the road.

Considering the outcome, those people were right, but Rodgers nontheless took that challenge head on, and he proved why the 49ers made a monumental mistake drafting Alex Smith rather than him three years ago. He showed Packer fans that he could be the Packers’ version of Steve Young to Joe Montanta.

Regardless of Aaron Rodgers’ play, this game was more important because the loss puts the proverbial chip on the Packers’ shoulder. Aside from the Patriots/Cowboys game, this was the most hyped game of the season. That, coupled with the fact that it was on the NFL network definitely made ol’ Roger Goodell giddy. Still, the Packers, I assume, feel as though they have something to prove. If the Packers believe that they were beaten by a better team tonight, then they are completely ignorant and will go nowhere the rest of the season.

After Favre left the game, I expected a lopsided finish. And to some, 10 points might seem as such. However, the Packers showed far more heart in the second half than the Cowboys.

I am never one to make excuses, but to deny that KGB’s and Woodson’s absences were not prevalent is simply fatuous. Romo had success today, but his success was predicated on having time to throw the ball. Watching Romo sling the ball around today reminded me of practically every single Patriots’ game I watched this year.

Romo had absolutely no pressure.

Now I will give credit where it is due. The Cowboys did a tremendous job blocking. More significant, however, was how the Cowboys used T.O. Many on this board assumed that Al Harris would marginalize T.O.—I was one of those people. However, Jason Garret was prepared, as he put T.O. in motion constantly throughout the night. T.O. beat Harris a couple times, but T.O.’s production came on mismatches. If Woodson would have been in the game, those mismatches would have not nearly been as available.

I do not want to use injuries as excuses, but reality is reality. Woodson would have made a huge difference—and I am putting those “pass interference” calls, notice the quotations marks, in a separate category. In addition, KGB would have enhanced what was an anemic pass rush. Aside from the three or four times Kampman put pressure on Romo, the rush was insignificant.

Speaking of the rush, this is where I thought Mike McCarthy and his staff game planned for the future.

From the first series, it was obvious that Dallas was trying to compensate for their weakness. Everyone knows they have a suspect secondary, and to accommodate it, they blitzed—incessantly. The Cowboys, typically, are not a blitzing team, but they sure did away with that trend tonight. They brought the house on Favre—one blitz in particular put him out of the game.

The Packers, contrarily, opted not to blitz. At first, I was incensed. Romo had too much time to throw, and I figured in the second half the Packers would come with elaborate blitz schemes, knowing they needed to apply pressure on Romo. Instead, they stuck to their bread and butter: the four-man pass rush. Yes, they blitzed a little more in the second half, but nothing too extraordinary or intricate; it was pretty mundane

Thus, this strategy got me thinking. Did Mike McCarthy intentionally plan a vanilla package? Do not misinterpret me: this game was important; it was the biggest game of the year. McCarthy knew this. However, considering the injuries to KGB and Woodson, and then taking into account the injury to Favre, do you think that McCarthy—from the moment Favre went down—intentionally went to a basic package on offense and defense?

I am not trying to construe this as a fault against McCarthy. If the Packers were to win any of these two games—yes, I am counting the NFC Championship game—I would rather them lose now and win come January. So, did McCarthy have this in mind, and if so, did he go bland? Moreover, after removing myself from this loss, I think that if he did, it is a good thing.

Yes, I wish the Packers had won. I would be lying if I said otherwise.

However, after digesting the game and letting it marinate. I think the Packers came away with this game with more to gain than the Cowboys did. Sure, the Cowboys won and they have the inside track to the playoffs. Yes, barring a collapse on their part, they will be the number one seed.

But, to be honest, the Packers saw what the Cowboys have to offer. The Cowboys brought all of their intricate blitzes; they ran all of their intricate pass formations—I wholeheartedly do not think the Cowboys can play better than they did tonight. That was them at their peak.

The Packers, contrarily, ran a more vanilla defense—a defense that was missing two very significant contributors. Furthermore, they ran an offense that was essentially dumbed down. This is not a knock on Rodgers, but McCarthy did not feed Aaron the plays he normally would Favre—be realistic. Thus, considering these factors, I feel the Packers can come out of this game better than the Cowboys.

The Packers are a passing team. Yes, playing in Lambeau in January is a plus, but the Packers can win in Dallas. Over the past two years, they proved that they are a better team on the road than at home. They put up a fight tonight under circumstances when they had no business even being in the game.

Come January, I feel confident in this Packer team. Mike McCarthy has a moment lying before him. He can capitalize on this moment, and put this team in the direction to go to the Super Bowl. Or, he can ignore the moment. Regardless of what he does, I feel this moment is evident; incredibly palpable. The Cowboys won, and they deserved to win. But taking this game—as a whole—into consideration, the Packers have much, much, much more to gain from this loss than the Cowboys do from this win.

Therefore, I say this, Cowboy fan. The Packers may have lost, but in losing, they illustrated teamwork, confidence, and desire. Despite the loss of their fearless leader, # 4, they showed that they are not a team that will simply roll over and concede, a team to walk over in the face of adversary.

This is a good football team. And, analogous to the Bears’ game, the Packers can learn and improve from this loss.

So Romo, T.O. and Mr. Phillips (whom I think is a horrible coach, but that is a different diatribe on a different day), heed this caveat carefully: you won tonight, and I advocate that you enjoy this win because in January, when it matters the most, you are going to see a different team—a healthy team that has something to prove.

Batman21 Yesterday, 11:20 PM Post #2

I know this may sound like sour grapes, but the Packers also were playing against 3 completely lousy game changing call or non-calls.

1) When Driver was going for the ball on the first drive near the endzone, the Dallas Defender put his arm in his face and never looked for the ball. If I remember correctly this is face guarding and is a penalty.

2) Al Harris clearly took the ball from Owens and his progress was clearly not stopped.

3) The Pass Interference on Williams when the players legs were tangled.

These are all significant as they could have obviously changed the course of the game.

Randolph Hiedler Yesterday, 11:26 PM Post #3

Did you just say Rodgers didn't play outstanding?! He was looking like Brett Favre out there compared to Brett Favre who was looking like Doug Pederson. Rodgers single handedly got us back in the game.

Wolfman Yesterday, 11:30 PM Post #4

Thanks for posting this. I did not get to see the game, so I appreciate you and Arrigo putting your collective thoughts here. Sounds like the Pack will be just fine with Aaron Rogers at the helm. That was a good pick. I was watching ESPN and they kept giving updates. Once Aaron went into the game, it looked like the Packers kept their heads and went after it. That bodes very well for the future, imho.

I was disappointed watching the Detroit game, when all those key players went down with injuries. It'll be interesting to see what happens if these two teams meet again with KGB, Woodson, Rouse, Jolly, maybe Cole, and others back in the lineup.

One thing though, I am VERY concerned about the lack of a pass-rush. I'm not sure why the Packers don't blitz more or try to mix it up. Perhaps they are saving it all for the play-offs...but that doesn't make much sense to me. This is a game they would MUCH rather have won. I'd like to see more pressure on the opposing QB's. It drives me nuts to see an opposing QB stand back there all day. ANY NFL QB will pick your eyes out with that kind of time, let alone a good QB like Romo.

Thanks again to you and Joe. It was nice reading all the positive notes from this game.

FarveToBrooks Today, 01:23 AM Post #5

Thus, this strategy got me thinking. Did Mike McCarthy intentionally plan a vanilla package? Do not misinterpret me: this game was important; it was the biggest game of the year. McCarthy knew this. However, considering the injuries to KGB and Woodson, and then taking into account the injury to Favre, do you think that McCarthy—from the moment Favre went down—intentionally went to a basic package on offense and defense?

Interesting that you had the same thought that I did, but I kind of thought going into this game that we might see some pretty vanilla stuff from the Pack since the pressure really was on Dallas to win as homefield favorites....if I were coach, I would have game-planned this way from the start. You try to win, but you know you are almost surely going to have your second chance even if you lose....so, you tell your guys that this game is as much about learning what to expect from Dallas in every given formation/attack as it is about winning the game. With Woodson, KGB, Franks, Rouse out, that was enough reason to think the psychology of losing isn't all that bad if we learn how to smash them next time.....the added bonus for the psychological part of this (if it is actually true) is that Favre went down too and they actually battled back closer, didn't fall apart....let's just hope it's not too serious, I feel comfortable with ARod, but would rather see #4 in a NFC Championship rematch....

I think we saw both a definite desire to win, but generally base packages plus a few little tricks (onside kickoff, flea-flicker) to see how Dallas reacts to certain situations....a lot of deep balls, maybe to see on film where coverages roll out of various formations, etc......

kanadianpackerfan Today, 04:26 AM Post #6

This may be entirely superfluous, but the offensive game planning seemed to shift away from what they have been doing so well lately. I would have like to see Brett using more checkdowns and more runs from Grant. I saw a few too many five WR packages. I like this package but it was used just a little too much it seemed. I hope the coaching staff reverts back to what they were doing, or what they did when Rodgers was in the game.

rpiotr01 Today, 05:44 AM Post #7

QUOTE(kanadianpackerfan @ Nov 30 2007, 07:26 AM)

This may be entirely superfluous, but the offensive game planning seemed to shift away from what they have been doing so well lately. I would have like to see Brett using more checkdowns and more runs from Grant. I saw a few too many five WR packages. I like this package but it was used just a little too much it seemed. I hope the coaching staff reverts back to what they were doing, or what they did when Rodgers was in the game.

Not sure it was the packages fault, to me it was on either Favre or Mccarthy. Favre kept going for those big shots when there was no need to. I mean, I understand the sentiment, he wanted to take the crowd out, but all it did was accomplish two things - waste downs, and expose him to injury because he had to hold the ball longer for receivers to get downfield. They went COMPLETELY away from what brought them this far. Rodgers came in and rant that type of game and they responded with two TD drives. Next time dance with the one who brought you!

ray Today, 06:01 AM Post #8

Why did Brett abandon the offense and start heaving footballs? Rogers would have done better and stuck with what got the team there. Was that Brett or was that the gameplan.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinions are as follows:

1. The Cowboys could of hung 50 on the Packers D if they wanted to.

2. The Cowboys defense changed after Farve left the game.

3. The Packers weren't the only ones to suffer from questionable calls.

4. Both teams had some key injuries.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Favre getting knocked out was the best thing that happened to the Packers.

I think if we lined up against this team 10 times in Dallas, we'd win 8 or 9 of them... probably by more points than we won by last night as well. Outside of Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby, they did not impress me.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
That was too long to read...I could only get through the forst 4-5 paragraphs. Maybe there was more to the rest of the post that I didn't read, but from what I read, I didn't see anything that differed from what we were saying after we lost to NE. After the NE game we all were saying that we liked our chances in a rematch and that the loss will help us more than the win would help NE.

sbark

Reaction score
If Jim Johnson Philthy D-coor does not Blitz Romo, then no one will..........

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
IDK, they sound just like Commanders fans after their loss.

But, but, but, if, if, if...refs

Only their team has to deal with injuries, Cowboys never have injuries, Cowboys never get penalties, Cowboys were lucky, gets all the breaks...blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

StarHead69

Reaction score
The packers without a healthy Farve are probably still the 2nd best team in the NFC. The problem for green bay is that our OL has shown that they can dominate them and that even with a 100% c woodson, they have no answer for our recieving corps. We were clearly the dominant team physically, and if we meet again... we will remind them of that fact early and often.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
My thoughts are just a suggestion to the packer fan who wrote this.

However, after digesting the game and letting it marinate

You might want to try letting it marinate before the digesting part....

LOL!!!!!!!!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
whoa is this what happens to Commander fans that graduate :eek:

Jerry Tagge

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1801898 said:
My opinions are as follows:

1. The Cowboys could of hung 50 on the Packers D if they wanted to.

2. The Cowboys defense changed after Farve left the game.

3. The Packers weren't the only ones to suffer from questionable calls.

4. Both teams had some key injuries.
I agree with everything except the officiating. I thought it was well officiated.

Officials did not cost the Packers the game. Packers D cost them the game. They could do nothing against the Cowboys offense.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
The Packers didn't impress me either.

The Cowboys didn't play their best game and shot themselves in the foot many times (penalties, the endzone interception off of Owens' hands, poor tackling), and yet still won by 10.

The idea that the Packers lost due to being "unlucky" is absurd and delusional. The Packers are exceedingly fortunate that they didn't get blown out of the water. The Cowboys offense should have put up at least 50 points ....

kevwun

Reaction score
That write up is complete garbage. I'm sure McCarthy was sand bagging in a game that probably decided home field advantage.

stardeep

Fading Into Abstraction
Reaction score
To suggest the Pack purposely decided to stick with vanilla schemes is ludicrous. They were saving their most effective packages for the playoffs? What happens if you lose in the playoffs - would they then say they were saving them for the Superbowl? Or what if you're down at halftime in the Superbowl - were you saving them for the second half, or the fourth quarter, or the last drive of the season? Come on.

VACowboy

Reaction score
"Injuries are no excuse, but they cost us the game."

"I never complain about officiating, but the zebras screwed us."

Uh, ok.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Danny White;1801904 said:
Favre getting knocked out was the best thing that happened to the Packers.
Exactly. Prior to that, we were absolutely stomping them. That was as good a defense as I think I've seen in 10 years here. And our O was still unreal.

I'd honestly like to know how this "non-vanilla" defense with Woodson in would have changed things so dramatically for them. They don't run a lot of crazy blitzes anyway.

Maybe they'd have held us to 21 or 24 rather than 27 in the first quarter+ of the game? ;)

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Will someone remind all these "packers were injured" people that KGB would've been lined up against a Pro Bowl left tackle!

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
As Wade stated in his post game press conference, they never prepared for a scrambling Rogers. There's no game film on the QB outside of college. I honestly think if Favre finished the game, the final score would have been Dallas 58 Green Bay 17.