Packers fire HC Mike McCarthy, name Joe Philbin interim HC

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't very professional for team to part ways with a coach that just spent 12 yrs as HC, 9 playoff appearances, and a SB.'they could have waited till the end of the season........kinda makes Garrett's tenure even worse than we thought
Not if your a fan of .500 football.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't want to argue, but if you don't mind engaging me. The reason I compare the two is because Both of them have a mental edge (pre snapstuff), the Arm, the consistency in winning in the regular season, on top of that Rodgers also has the legs to get it done. When Rodgers was out Packers lost, When Brady was out Patriots still won a fair amount. It's rare that the Packers/Pat's miss the playoffs. I don't feel Brady is a better QB, I do feel BELICHECK is a significantly better HC. Brady is a much more accomplished QB obviously, but from an ability standpoint I think Rodgers is better. My question to you would be what makes TB the goat, is it anything else besides the chips? Again these are just my opinions.
Hey man, always down to engage in a good conversation. All we can do is share opinion. I'll try to be succinct without writing War & Peace to break down every nuance.
  1. No doubt BB is a huge advantage for anyone who plays there. But still you got to make the plays on the field. Tom has done it for almost two decades with a consistency that is unmatched. All while being the "hunted" (SB champs or SB favorites).
  2. Rodgers is a more physically gifted person. But there have been tons of physically gifted QB's, many who were never even consistent starters much less GOAT consideration.
  3. Rodgers, for all his talents, has games that aren't that impressive. If you look at the stat sheet at the end of the game, it may look OK but in real time he made mistakes. ie, less consistent.
  4. Both are competitors. But to me, Tom is as competitve & fiesty as they come. If there is a way, he is going to find it. Even if it requires him to do less glamorous things.
  5. Tom is the hardest worker. Everyone who has ever played with him, comments about how much time & detail he puts into preparation.
So, for me, it ultimately comes down to all around performance and to some degree, longevity. Now if AR plays as long as TB ends up playing & at a high level, I would certainly reconsider all the facts. Much like Emmitt wasn't the most physically gifted, he is still the greatest because he churned out what others couldn't or wouldn't. If you give me one game, I might indeed choose Barry but over a season or career, its Emmitt all day every day because I know what I'm going to get from him. Same for Tom. I believe he is going to get his team into the best situations and he will execute at a very high & very consistent level in every aspect of playing the position.

FWIW - I told Packers fans that AR would make them forget Favre and drafted him #1 overall in fantasy the first year he became starter (going against the experts at the time). So, I am not an AR hater. Just think he is sometimes over hyped.

jnday

Reaction score
I find it telling that the Packers declined quickly after Thompson was fired from the GM position and only serves in an advisory role.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
dang I hope the packers don't try to steal Garrett away.

GB wouldn't have to steal him away. There are several on this board who would gladly purchase his one-way ticket out of town.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Who again is your can't miss coach keyboard gm?

Ah, the same old argument. You can never get rid of Garrett when there isn't a decent replacement available. Being satisfied with mediocrity blows.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Winston Moss
� @Insanecane99

Ponder this... what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It�s not the offensive guru trend, it�s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!

Winston Moss has been let go by Packers now because he asked #12 to be held to Lombardistandard.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I find it telling that the Packers declined quickly after Thompson was fired from the GM position and only serves in an advisory role.
Packers were declining because his recent drafts were horrible. For a draft a develop team that fails to draft well and then does not fix the shortcomings thru free agency, then the results are what is happening now. McCarthy did not forget to coach but when the players he gets are not that good then this is what happens.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Winston Moss
� @Insanecane99

Ponder this... what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It�s not the offensive guru trend, it�s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!

Winston Moss has been let go by Packers now because he asked #12 to be held to Lombardistandard.

Moss was let go because he was the assistant head coach and got passed over for interim and then vented that with a comment he knew would get him fired. I knew as soon as he sent out the tweet he would be let go before the day was over