Twitter: Panthers are trading for Baker Mayfield

Flamma

Reaction score
What do you call relatively new? They used to draft QB's to sit and learn behind the starter for a few years, or like with Steve Young the 49ers brought him in because they felt Montana was fading with age (same with Luck being drafted to replace Manning).

But I don't recall many times over the last I don't know how many years (decades?) where a team felt strong about the starter they had, and that starter was still young enough to have a lot of years left, where a team brought in real competition through free agency or trade.

You're right that part if it is not wanting or being able to pay 2 high level QB's, but other parts are (1) a high level QB who is a free agent doesn't want to go to a team that hasn't committed to making him the starter, (2) a team doesn't want to give up much in a trade for a QB it isn't sure will start, and (3) team's don't want to be divided in the locker room by a QB controversy.

I mean salary cap Era I guess. So maybe not so new. But even back before that, backups were backups for a reason. But they were better than the slop you see behind QBs now. If you even draft a QB the starter gets all bent.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Much of that occurred in the era before the salary cap. You could bring in a veteran guy with experience relatively cheaply to be a backup or compete, be an insurance policy, groom for the future or compete for the starting job. You really have to draft a QB nowadays because other options tend to be too pricey.

The Colts weren't able to afford the luxury of Luck sitting behind Manning. They cut Manning over a month prior to the 2012 draft when they acquired Luck.
Exactly. You just don't see much open QB competition these days, and what little it does happen is generally with a team that doesn't have an established guy anyway and the team is having to pick from a couple of less than desirable choices hoping one can step up.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think I’d rather play Cam and get a top 5 pick then play Baker and get the 12th overall pick. Baker just seems like a cancer.

Well, if you are playing the build for the future scenario there wasn't any need to trade. They could suck with plenty of QB's. I personally am tired of Cam.

Why is Baker considered a cancer? I hear this said quite a bit and I am seriously asking. I know he had a rep in college but I haven't really heard anything specific since early in his career. If he is a dufus, I'm not defending just saying I would like to know the details & form my own opinion.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, if you are playing the build for the future scenario there wasn't any need to trade. They could suck with plenty of QB's. I personally am tired of Cam.

Why is Baker considered a cancer? I hear this said quite a bit and I am seriously asking. I know he had a rep in college but I haven't really heard anything specific since early in his career. If he is a dufus, I'm not defending just saying I would like to know the details & form my own opinion.
He just handled this whole situation foolish. Watson is projected to get suspended….so technically Baker wasn’t losing his job and this year. Go ball and trick some team into paying you in free agency. Instead he cried the minute rumors came out Watson was coming.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Personally I hope Mayfield gets his career back on track, love seeing players have the ability to say F$#! You to all of the azz hats! It would be Epic!

Was his career really ever on track? I don't think he ever cemented himself as a quality starting QB. He is good enough to be a quality back up, but that is if he is willing to be a back up. Not every QB has the mindset to to be the #2 guy. The person who has to be ready on minimal practice reps. Who can set their ego and desire to be the starter aside to best help a team.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He just handled this whole situation foolish. Watson is projected to get suspended….so technically Baker wasn’t losing his job and this year. Go ball and trick some team into paying you in free agency. Instead he cried the minute rumors came out Watson was coming.

I have mixed feelings about that. When a team is found to be looking for a replacement the incumbent QB is in a no win situation. Plus you don't know what he was told behind the scenes. I heard they had been talking extension at one point so I can see how Baker could potentially feel misled about their intentions.

Either way, I think the Browns were crazy to make that trade without knowing the outcome of Watson's situation. Looks like they may end up a huge loser in all this ... and I can't feel sorry for the management but I do feel sympathy for their roster. They seemed to be on the verge of having a pretty respectable team. This may send them back to the cellar.

Motorola

Reaction score
Every single one of my threads on Watson got moved to the NFL Zone

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/browns-could-void-watson-contract-with-24th-case.497126/
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/wat...-going-to-face-some-serious-penalties.497132/

Even posted about Gronk retiring meaning Brady will be short 1 weapon (2 counting Brown) opening night. That's way more relevant to the Cowboys than Baker being traded lol
I've had a thread or two moved over on a subject when a similar post by another CZ member remains in the 'Fan Zone'.
Nothing to fret about fret about.
However, I muse on why there isn't a 'Dak Zone' for all the threads created about the QB - many of them purposely started to get a "pro -Dak vs. Anti-Dak" skirmish going...which always sinks to one or two pairs of members trading enough insults that go on so long as to total up anywhere from 3 to 5 pages.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not looked at many posts yet, not for 8 pages over this.
But is there any outrage, only a conditional 5th for the 1st overall pick. I mean fans on here were outraged over only getting a 5th and swap of 6ths for Cooper.

joseephuss

Reaction score
But is there any outrage, only a conditional 5th for the 1st overall pick. I mean fans on here were outraged over only getting a 5th and swap of 6ths for Cooper.

At this point, any outrage by a Browns supporter should be well dissipated. Acquiring Watson and their handling of Mayfield, they were lucky to get anything in return. He was destined to be cut and them stuck with the ful salary cap hit. They now get a late round pick and some money back in their coffers..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about that. When a team is found to be looking for a replacement the incumbent QB is in a no win situation. Plus you don't know what he was told behind the scenes. I heard they had been talking extension at one point so I can see how Baker could potentially feel misled about their intentions.

Either way, I think the Browns were crazy to make that trade without knowing the outcome of Watson's situation. Looks like they may end up a huge loser in all this ... and I can't feel sorry for the management but I do feel sympathy for their roster. They seemed to be on the verge of having a pretty respectable team. This may send them back to the cellar.
He still could’ve acted more professional about it. But this type of attitude he has is why they tried to replace him with Watson. Just doesn’t have a attitude of a winner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are trades and there are unloads. CLE needed to find a place for him and lay off some of the salary because the marriage was over and I assume he had already moved out of the stadium and was living in his car.

What CAR is paying is Kyle Orton backup money for this season and they gave up next to nothing for a former #1 pick.

I do think CLE was limited with trade partners because I think some teams don't want Mayfield because of either questionable talent level or locker room leadership. You can bet any team kicking those tires knows more about him from OU and CLE than we do.

JayFord

Reaction score
so whats clevelands plan if Watson is suspended an entire year? recind the deal and get a new qb?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that ship had sailed and when you look at what they gave up in picks and 230M guaranteed, they sent Mayfield the message loud and clear. We don't want you. The eviction notice on the stadium was the last straw.

I think he let it be known that he was not interested in kissing and making up and some teams might have been waiting for them to cut him. There are a lot of teams with ?'s at QB like ATL, NO, DET, CHI, SEA just in the NFC and having another one come in to compete at an affordable price wasn't a bad idea unless there is something else about this not public knowledge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that ship had sailed and when you look at what they gave up in picks and 230M guaranteed, they sent Mayfield the message loud and clear. We don't want you. The eviction notice on the stadium was the last straw.

I think he let it be known that he was not interested in kissing and making up and some teams might have been waiting for them to cut him. There are a lot of teams with ?'s at QB like ATL, NO, DET, CHI, SEA just in the NFC and having another one come in to compete at an affordable price wasn't a bad idea unless there is something else about this not public knowledge.
Yep. And this was a great deal for Carolina . And Browns are paying majority of his salary too. Hope it works out for him. And Coach Ruhle too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we would have dealt 2 number 1's for him and Jerry & Stevie would be High Fiving. This is if we didn't have Dak. Cleveland unloaded him for a bag of chips basically. They must know something we don't about Watson playing this year.