Parameters of Dak next contract

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Eagles face big decision on Carson Wentz's contract

The Philadelphia Eagles have a critical decision in front of them when it comes to quarterback Carson Wentz, who is eligible for a new contract starting Dec. 31.

Nick Foles mania aside, coach Doug Pederson has made it clear that "when [Wentz is] healthy, he's our quarterback." The organization has long held the conviction that Wentz is a franchise QB with enormous potential, and they have a history of locking in their core players early.

Wentz is dealing with a stress fracture in his back at the moment, though, and is coming off a serious multiligament knee injury. Does the team slow-play the negotiations given his recent health issues and risk getting slammed financially when the market resets, or do they try and lock him up soon while the cost is (comparatively) reasonable and cross their fingers that these type of injuries don't continue to strike?

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...s-face-big-decision-on-carson-wentzs-contract

---

I'm guessing Dak's agent will use numbers similar to Wentz and/or Goff, especially if using their stats and postseason play.

Side note.......notice the chart will the top 6 QBs contracts/salaries. For fans saying let him play out his last year of 2019, $28.6M is the average salary for the top on the list. Meaning 2019 franchise tag for QBs could jump from $23M to 28M.

Just know this isn't Dak, the reality is the NFL market for starting QBs is on fire. Notice what the article says about Russell Wilson next deal.

Bottom line.....IF Dak is your 2020-2021 starter with a contract averaging $23-25M, it's likely a bargain.

ModEdit: Made the post a lot more readable than it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Eagles are definitely in a tight spot with Wentz.

I think what's going to happen is they release Foles this next year - you just can't pay a backup QB 20 million dollars with your cap already bursting at the seams - then they bank on Wentz's health holding up for one more big playoff run before deciding whether to pay him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Philadelphia Eagles have a critical decision in front of them when it comes to quarterback Carson Wentz, who is eligible for a new contract starting Dec. 31.

Nick Foles mania aside, coach Doug Pederson has made it clear that "when [Wentz is] healthy, he's our quarterback." The organization has long held the conviction that Wentz is a franchise QB with enormous potential, and they have a history of locking in their core players early.

Wentz is dealing with a stress fracture in his back at the moment, though, and is coming off a serious multiligament knee injury. Does the team slow-play the negotiations given his recent health issues and risk getting slammed financially when the market resets, or do they try and lock him up soon while the cost is (comparatively) reasonable and cross their fingers that these type of injuries don't continue to strike?

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...s-face-big-decision-on-carson-wentzs-contract

---

I'm guessing Dak's agent will use numbers similar to Wentz and/or Goff, especially if using their stats and postseason play.

Side note.......notice the chart will the top 6 QBs contracts/salaries. For fans saying let him play out his last year of 2019, $28.6M is the average salary for the top on the list. Meaning 2019 franchise tag for QBs could jump from $23M to 28M.

Just know this isn't Dak, the reality is the NFL market for starting QBs is on fire. Notice what the article says about Russell Wilson next deal.

Bottom line.....IF Dak is your 2020-2021 starter with a contract averaging $23-25M, it's likely a bargain.

No reason to rush here....who the heck is gonna want this Dak come next season ??? Personally I think some of you are underestimating Jerry and believing that his comments are true about resigning Dak this off-season......Boys will wait and bring in some competition this off-season at QB and risk it and wait it out as its the smart play.... Dak Prescott at this level of play is a back up at best....

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I would give him a back ups contract and I would focus on obtaining another starting QB. But, I want them to draft a QB in the first round instead of looking for another UDFA Rudy scrub.

Let Dak okay out his contract next year, trade Zeke for draft capital to use to move up in the 2020 draft to select your next QB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

---

They cut Dez because he couldn’t play and wasn’t worth the $$$.

Why is DAk any different?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
They cut Dez because he couldn’t play and wasn’t worth the $$$.

Why is DAk any different?

Because Dak CAN play and will get $23-25m?

To those calling for us to sign Foles (can't even believe I have to write that),the Eagles put the SB MVP(!) on the sideline for a reason. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Pederson knows more about football than me. Or you.

Wentz....please. Dude is a walking cast and probably will never have the mobility he had pre knee injury.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles can afford to wait on Wentz. They can see what happens next season, then pick up his 5th year options. Then there is always the franchise tag for a few years.

Dallas can do the same, let Dak prove himself next year. Use the tag if need be his fifth.
I don't see a rush for either team to sign either one. In Eagles case, it is more from an injury perspective. For the Cowboys it is still, if he if Dak is a franchise QB.

I know some will compare stats. As other are not looking at things objectively rather pro or con Dak.

For me, I want a QB that can carry a team when need be. I don't want a bus driver that every thing must be perfect around him. Because a team is not going to have those surrounding players from year to year. Not in todays NFL.

Not saying Wentz is any better than Dak at this point. But when you really look at it, which QB would you rather have for paying that kind of $$$$.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compared to Dak he is. He has won a division championship, got his team to the playoffs. Twice.
Has a Minnesota team on the verge of the playoffs.

Where we could go with Cousins starting for us......the Superbowl and then some more....

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Compared to Dak he is. He has won a division championship, got his team to the playoffs. Twice.
Has a Minnesota team on the verge of the playoffs.
Only Tom Brady has more wins than Dak in the 2 plus seasons he has been in the NFL. Absolutely everyone was shocked on Kirk's 28 mil a year guaranteed contract. The reason they were shocked was because he is not a winner. Everyone thought Alex Smith was an upgrade over Cousins in Washington. I say once again......If Cousins got 28 mil a year.....I'm just saying

HanD

Reaction score

at minimum his franchise years will be 29 and almost 35m (120% year 2 franchise). that works out to a 3 year avg salary including his last year on the rookie deal of 21.5m

the franchise tag will be taken up and no one else will be protected if needed (zeke, jaylon, byron). tons of questions for 2 years and stress about your qb situation like they had in washington will take a toll on the team. unnecessary drama. i'd rather front load a deal or lower the signing bonus and provide roster bonus and lock him up for a bit more money. 23 to 25 structured team friendly is definitely the way to go imo. i still have doubts and hesitations about dak but this is the smart team play imo. both sides get something out of it.

5 years 120. first 2 years fully guaranteed (48 mil). team can walk away each year after that.

it's comparable to franchising him 2 years in a row without actually doing it.