Parameters of Dak next contract

cern

Reaction score
perhaps cousins' contract will serve as a lesson about making bad deals instead of being a parameter for a new deal. the ever parsimonious Stephen is less likely to throw money away like daddy sometimes did.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only Tom Brady has more wins than Dak in the 2 plus seasons he has been in the NFL. Absolutely everyone was shocked on Kirk's 28 mil a year guaranteed contract. The reason they were shocked was because he is not a winner. Everyone thought Alex Smith was an upgrade over Cousins in Washington. I say once again......If Cousins got 28 mil a year.....I'm just saying

And yet Brady has been to SB's, Dak has a playoff loss. And looks bad compared to Brady. Well this year Brady has not looked Brady like all the time. But he is what, 63 years old.
That has nothing to do with Cousins not being a winner. Nor does Alex Smith. I actually thought Smith was not an upgrade over Cousins. But we will never know that with Smith being injured. And no he was not the reason they were 6-3 at one point in time. It was their Defense was playing at a high level for the 1st half of the season.

Their offense and defense were ranked right about even with us. Just they won games they should have, we lost them.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
And yet Brady has been to SB's, Dak has a playoff loss. And looks bad compared to Brady. Well this year Brady has not looked Brady like all the time. But he is what, 63 years old.
That has nothing to do with Cousins not being a winner. Nor does Alex Smith. I actually thought Smith was not an upgrade over Cousins. But we will never know that with Smith being injured. And no he was not the reason they were 6-3 at one point in time. It was their Defense was playing at a high level for the 1st half of the season.

Their offense and defense were ranked right about even with us. Just they won games they should have, we lost them.
Cousins never beat Dak.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, QB salaries are escalating at a pace I'm sure the league would like to get some control but how? Hell Romo's first huge contract is now the floor for signing bonuses. Look at what the agent estimated Russell Wilson gets with a first and second tag from the Seahawks. Bottom line......being a 4th round pick that's started every NFL game, makes Dak contract a little tricky IMO. Just me, but I'm guessing the focus is whether or not he's your starter over the next 4-5 years. If you believe he is, then what will it take keep him from becoming 2020 free agents. There are only 2 options, long-term deal or tag. If you don't see him as your long-term starter, don't waste time and $$$. Again just me, but it's a waste a of time to worry whether Dak is a top 5 QB w/o knowing he's your long-term starter.

Corry explains,
Wilson has one year left on his current deal. If the Seattle Seahawks were to franchise tag him after the 2019 season, m north of $30 million. If they tag him a second time, Wilson is looking at a cool $68 million or so over a two-year period. In order to prevent Wilson from playing "the franchise-tag game," then, Seattle is going to have to make Wilson the highest-paid player in the game, Corry concludes, which could set up a huge haul for Wentz if he develops as hoped and is not already locked into a deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Bottom line.....IF Dak is your 2020-2021 starter with a contract averaging $23-25M, it's likely a bargain.

Let some other team take that bargain. Right now QBs that can't go down the middle of the field and have accuracy issues are called backups. They don't get paid 25M+ a year. Dak is on par with Ryan Fitzpatrick money.

conner01

Reaction score
perhaps cousins' contract will serve as a lesson about making bad deals instead of being a parameter for a new deal. the ever parsimonious Stephen is less likely to throw money away like daddy sometimes did.
It should serve as lesson
But it won’t becaude teams are desperate for QB

conner01

Reaction score
Eagles can afford to wait on Wentz. They can see what happens next season, then pick up his 5th year options. Then there is always the franchise tag for a few years.

Dallas can do the same, let Dak prove himself next year. Use the tag if need be his fifth.
I don't see a rush for either team to sign either one. In Eagles case, it is more from an injury perspective. For the Cowboys it is still, if he if Dak is a franchise QB.

I know some will compare stats. As other are not looking at things objectively rather pro or con Dak.

For me, I want a QB that can carry a team when need be. I don't want a bus driver that every thing must be perfect around him. Because a team is not going to have those surrounding players from year to year. Not in todays NFL.

Not saying Wentz is any better than Dak at this point. But when you really look at it, which QB would you rather have for paying that kind of $$$$.
I agree
The eagles have plenty of time to make a decision on wentz
The only decision they really have to make is at backup

HanD

Reaction score
Let some other team take that bargain. Right now QBs that can't go down the middle of the field and have accuracy issues are called backups. They don't get paid 25M+ a year. Dak is on par with Ryan Fitzpatrick money.

So what would you propose? Sign a guy like Bridgewater or aj maccarron? Or take shots in the draft?

nathanlt

Reaction score
I'm convinced that the perimeter of Dak's next contract will be 8 and 1/2 and 11 and 8 and 1/2 and 11, so I guess that makes 39. Of course, it could be 8 and 1/2 and 14 and 8 and 1/2 and 14, so that would be 45.

Why does that really matter though?

Flamma

Reaction score
So what would you propose? Sign a guy like Bridgewater or aj maccarron? Or take shots in the draft?

Look at other teams backups and take a shot in the draft. Do what any other team does that needs a QB. If Prescott had a career ending injury what would we do? Either that or give Dak the gameplan any other good QB has in the NFL. Right now he's being limited to sideline passes and short routes. This is either by design or he just doesn't take shots elsewhere. If it's by design then I have to believe they do not intend to move forward with this quarterback.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The Eagles are definitely in a tight spot with Wentz.

I think what's going to happen is they release Foles this next year - you just can't pay a backup QB 20 million dollars with your cap already bursting at the seams - then they bank on Wentz's health holding up for one more big playoff run before deciding whether to pay him.

I think the Eagles trade Foles before the start of next season.
Or
Somewhere before they need to re-sign Wentz.

Foles is due $20 million next season.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm convinced that the perimeter of Dak's next contract will be 8 and 1/2 and 11 and 8 and 1/2 and 11, so I guess that makes 39. Of course, it could be 8 and 1/2 and 14 and 8 and 1/2 and 14, so that would be 45.

Why does that really matter though?

I didn't want to be "that guy" :laugh:

HanD

Reaction score
Look at other teams backups and take a shot in the draft. Do what any other team does that needs a QB. If Prescott had a career ending injury what would we do? Either that or give Dak the gameplan any other good QB has in the NFL. Right now he's being limited to sideline passes and short routes. This is either by design or he just doesn't take shots elsewhere. If it's by design then I have to believe they do not intend to move forward with this quarterback.
Part of the reason we need a new oc. Is to fully evaluate his limitations vs the system. I really don't want to waste the prime years of Zeke, coop, this ol, tank, jaylon, lve and Byron .We need to figure this out .I'd hate to look back and have this indecision or inability to have a decent qb be a main reason for lack of success .

Eddie

Reaction score
No reason to rush here....who the heck is gonna want this Dak come next season ??? Personally I think some of you are underestimating Jerry and believing that his comments are true about resigning Dak this off-season......Boys will wait and bring in some competition this off-season at QB and risk it and wait it out as its the smart play.... Dak Prescott at this level of play is a back up at best....

Just out of curiosity, if we tried to trade Dak ... what would we get for him?

No one would give us more than a 4th or 5th round pick at this moment. I'm certain most teams see Dak as a backup and wouldn't give up anything for his services.

Dak has another year to prove to us what he's worth. But at this moment, he has 1 year left as a Cowboy.