Parsons Run Defense

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I wanted to leave this here. The amount of complaining about this pick is amazing to me. We needed help on run D immediately and we started that process by getting not only the best defensive player in the draft, but also the best RUN DEFENDER in the draft.

Why is it our fans cant just be happy unless its who they want, or who they have spent the most time looking at and pounding the table for? I admit I was pounding the table for this kid since October, but I wouldnt be whining about picking Horn or Surtain either. This is why our fans are called the worst in sports.

I remember our back and forth on Parsons and I’m legit happy for you that you got your guy.

Congrats!
:thumbup:

btcutter

Reaction score

I wanted to leave this here. The amount of complaining about this pick is amazing to me. We needed help on run D immediately and we started that process by getting not only the best defensive player in the draft, but also the best RUN DEFENDER in the draft.

Why is it our fans cant just be happy unless its who they want, or who they have spent the most time looking at and pounding the table for? I admit I was pounding the table for this kid since October, but I wouldnt be whining about picking Horn or Surtain either. This is why our fans are called the worst in sports.

i love the pick and hope that he will put in the time with Shawn Lee in the film room.
The thing that concerns me about his run D is that he bites too hard on pass action and option plays. Unfortunately he will see tons of these in NFL.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I could care less about a run defender in 2021.

Learn to celebrate when teams hand the ball off.

Well of course you don't care Catch. I mean Dallas only gave up 2541 yards on the ground last season to the tune of 2nd worst in the entire NFL. 6th worst in the NFL in rushing TDs. Who would want to stop the run, get your vaunted offense back on the field, flip field position, and make a team one dimensional? Now I realize you don't care/understand any of this, but the important thing was that the Cowboys did, and addressed it last night.

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe he handles base run vs other formations - The word was Parson can easily fooled by misdirection (and we already have LBs that continue to do that)

What some may not be aware of is Parsons has only been an LB for just two years.
So there's hope that his game develops better as he learns and grows into the NFL nuisances.

The Jaylon Smith comparisons and similarities scares the hell outta me as we already have our own version that has questionable instincts
along with coverage woes, and frequently out of position, and such a liability that we're scrambling to find/hide his flaws.

and I thought I recalled some of the Ohio State game where drove Parson was driven crazy with being caught out of positions
with those options-reverses, and I can see some similarities pure out of position vs screens, mis-guessing gap runs,
and flaws in coverage.

Profiles report Parson was used more as a rush blitzer and less as a coverage guy.... Again sounds like Jaylon's profile and role.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I could care less about a run defender in 2021.

Learn to celebrate when teams hand the ball off.
Another STELLAR take from the guy who thinks he knows more than everyone here and the people that do this for a living. Go find a rock to crawl under with your negativity. You're all upset we didnt draft a concussion waiting to happen. Go cry somewhere else. This board is for fans of this TEAM. Not fans of hearing themselves speak.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Another STELLAR take from the guy who thinks he knows more than everyone here and the people that do this for a living. Go find a rock to crawl under with your negativity. You're all upset we didnt draft a concussion waiting to happen. Go cry somewhere else. This board is for fans of this TEAM. Not fans of hearing themselves speak.

Learn football and you won’t be so mad at my opinions.

Once you become enlightened you can apologize for your ignorance.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Learn football and you won’t be so mad at my opinions.
Im not mad at your opinion. You're a buffoon. We were in the realm of worst run defense in the league last season, you literally just said run D doesnt matter lol. Go fly a kite in a hurricane you condescending lunatic.

Learn football? Hows Brad Kaaya doing? He starting anywhere or? Lets leave that in the past. Learn football. Team cant stop the run. Draft a pass rusher? Yeah your takes are comical. But we all need to learn football and you know it all. Cool.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im not mad at your opinion. You're a buffoon. We were in the realm of worst run defense in the league last season, you literally just said run D doesnt matter lol. Go fly a kite in a hurricane you condescending lunatic.

Entire league last night drafting Passers, Guys that catch passes, guys that protect passers, guys that cover guys that catch passes, and guys that hit QBs.

Dallas.. We’re the dumb team improving our run defense with first round picks lollllllll

And homers like you applaud cause hey we need defense lollllll

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Agreed man its pretty shocking, best possible pick they could have made there. I certainly wanted a corner, but Parsons was up there on the list too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Learn football? Hows Brad Kaaya doing? He starting anywhere or? Lets leave that in the past. Learn football. Team cant stop the run. Draft a pass rusher? Yeah your takes are comical. But we all need to learn football and you know it all. Cool.

Learn to comprehend too so you can understand how someone’s game translating better doesn’t mean I think they are a better player. You don’t even have basic comprehension skills and sadly there is people on this forum just like you.. Very sad..

Mac Jones game translates better to the pros than all of these QBs.. He’s my QB 5.. See how that works? No?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Entire league last night drafting Passers, Guys that catch passes, guys that protect passers, guys that cover guys that catch passes, and guys that hit QBs.

Dallas.. We’re the dumb team improving our run defense with first round picks lollllllll

And homers like you applaud cause hey we need defense lollllll
You're actually ridiculous. I have never met someone that's as obtuse and annoying in my life. Your boy. Jaelen Phillips. Had 8 sacks from the DE position. Parsons had 5 from the LB position. And didn't have 3 concussions and forced to medically retire from his school. He isn't just a run defender you moron.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Learn to comprehend too so you can understand how someone’s game translating better doesn’t mean I think they are a better player. You don’t even have basic comprehension skills and sadly there is people on this forum just like you.. Very sad..

Mac Jones game translates better to the pros than all of these QBs.. He’s my QB 5.. See how that works? No?
Still defending your dumb take I see. Enjoy.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You can't tell me a guy that runs a 4.36 can't become a cover LB too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You're actually ridiculous. I have never met someone that's as obtuse and annoying in my life. Your boy. Jaelen Phillips. Had 8 sacks from the DE position. Parsons had 5. And didn't have 3 concussions and forced to medically retire from his school. He isn't just a run defender you moron.

Annoying? Says the guy who won’t stop being a weirdo and quoting me all day after I ignore you for days and weeks. Stop talking up to me so I don’t have to talk down to you.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Annoying? Says the guy who won’t stop being a weirdo and quoting me all day after I ignore you for days and weeks. Stop talking up to me so I don’t have to talk down to you.
Go cry in your Jaelen Phillips pajamas. I quote you and many others. I quote you because you sound ridiculous. Nothing to say about the sack numbers? Parsons is the better player. Translate this. Phillips isn't as good as Parsons. Regardless of what you think or say. You are not an NFL GM. You are an armchair football fan who bullies people on this board with fake knowledge. If you want to talk football I am all ears. What you do isnt talking football. Its arguing with anyone who doesnt agree with you and your childish behaviour.

Shannon Sharpe (HOF) Said Parsons was the best defensive player in this draft and it wasnt close. I am to assume you know more than him. Point me to your Gold Jacket. Oh wait....Just go take a nap. Its past your bedtime.

Creeper

Reaction score
I understand the pick. Once the two CBs came off the board they had to look elsewhere. But let's be honest about this pick, if there was an impact DT in this draft, or a quality CB left on the board, no one would be happy if the Cowboys took Parsons instead. Parsons is the consolation prize. He may be a good player but he plays a position that is not as important to the Cowboys as several other positions on defense. After all the chest beating over the signing of Keanu Neal this Parsons pick has to come as a disappointment.

Now we go in top the 2nd round with the same priorities we had in the first. Getting a CB in the 1st would have made the next 2 rounds so much easier for Dallas. But if they do not get a starting caliber CB in this draft, they had better be willing to pony up for a decent free agent because everyone in their division has good WRs now.