Parsons Run Defense

HungryLion

Reaction score
The people who are iffy on this pick (like me) are just worried how he'll do in coverage. I love his run stopping and blitzing abilities, don’t get me wrong. I bet he could be a 10 sack a year guy in the right scheme.

But whether he can cover or not is a huge question that’s not to be ignored. This is a passing league.

Yeah. I hear that.

And every prospect has questions.

some people are also saying stuff like “he can’t cover” and want to completely ignore all the things he can do to help the team, all so they can rip the pick and call it stupid.

I’m not saying it’s you. But some of the criticism has been off the wall crazy.

I get he needs to develop and hone his coverage skills. But I would say to that

1. He 100% has the athleticism to do it. So it’s really just about learning the needed technique.

2. I’m sending him after the QB a lot too. And he is a very very gifted pass rusher. And pas rush is even more important than coverage. IMO.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was a little disappointed we didn’t get the corner. But now we have an opportunity to solidify the linebacking core. I say we take the best middle linebacker available. Finished the position. I’m not disappointed in the pic at all
It’s just a different position getting solidified that’s all. I think he’s the best football player in the draft actually

I agree that getting the great corner would have been better. But Parsons could actually turn out better and getting the 3rd rounder was great.

Praxit

Reaction score
.. we might finally have a get Aaron Donald type of player. One that can dominate a game. Will see...

lk8701

Reaction score
Not to mention this kid is a grade A pass rusher.

Yes. Devin White had 140 tackles and 9 sacks last season (his 2nd season). Parsons is bigger and faster. I think he will get off to a slow start his rookie year since he sat out last season. He will probably start off at the LEO position then move to MLB his 2nd year. I think he could get 6 - 8 sacks as rookie.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
People act like corner was the only need for this defense. We got run at a lot last year as well... parsons is a playmaker.. and a guy that can stop the run. We need more of those in defense.

Sure he prob has things to work on.... but so did surtain and horn.

Western

Reaction score
It is all about match-ups/a chess game.
Offenses wish to neutralize impactful edge rushers & run stuffing DT's/LB's by designing a short passing game, whereby the QB delivers the ball quickly in a multi-WR set so to avoid a prolonged pocket setting, and to exploit the slow LB's.
Defenses counter the short passing game by installing nickel packages with CB's/box safeties with a limited DL.
But, offenses will check out of the short passing scheme, and run the ball. Having CB's/box safeties constantly attempt to shed blocks from the OL is challenging and a liability for the defense, and overtime an untenable task.

Having a fast fluid LB, who has the explosion/power to shed the OL, but also the ability to "man" the interior of the line of scrimmage, and utilize his athleticism moving laterally in the short passing game can ultimately negate the offense--Parsons fits that profile.

He has the lateral speed, & fluidity to impose his influence in the middle of the field (as well as backpedaling) on the passing game. In addition, unlike Mr. Swipe, Parsons has the explosion and power to shed the OL, and track down the runner at the line of scrimmage, or even behind the line of scrimmage.
Moreover, an added element to his game, is that he can blitz and his closing speed on the QB is tremendous.
He is a much greater value to the defense than any CB.

Parsons is a rare imposing talent who is a 3-down player that will cause headaches for offensive coordinators.

wrongway

Reaction score
The people who are iffy on this pick (like me) are just worried how he'll do in coverage. I love his run stopping and blitzing abilities, don’t get me wrong. I bet he could be a 10 sack a year guy in the right scheme.

But whether he can cover or not is a huge question that’s not to be ignored. This is a passing league.
You're right, it is a passing league, unless you're playing the cowboys defense.

conner01

Reaction score
People are just mad we didnt take an overrated cb. Not saying they wont be good corners but people act like we didnt trade up for some transcendent cb
I wouldn’t have traded up and I would have preferred CB
But the best LB in the draft is a nice consolation prize
My main reason for wanting the CB is there is more depth at LB but parsons was by far my favorite followed by the Kentucky kid the skins got
Both really good prospects

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You think there's more lb depth than cb? I think you can find a cb who has Horn traits than a lb with parson traits. But that's just my opinion

And as for Davis. I have a hard time hyping a lb with a career high 4 tkl but again, just my opinion.
I wouldn’t have traded up and I would have preferred CB
But the best LB in the draft is a nice consolation prize
My main reason for wanting the CB is there is more depth at LB but parsons was by far my favorite followed by the Kentucky kid the skins got
Both really good prospects

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
You think there's more lb depth than cb? I think you can find a cb who has Horn traits than a lb with parson traits. But that's just my opinion

And as for Davis. I have a hard time hyping a lb with a career high 4 tkl but again, just my opinion.
That’s not what he was asked to do in the scheme
Watch him in the Steelers system
He will be a pro bowler by year two
I think LB was deeper than CB
But didn’t matter since the CB were both gone
Parsons was the right pick with them off the board