Parsons vs Pitts

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Last year leading up to the draft their was quite the debate on if we should draft Pitts if he slid to us at # 10.
Thankfully the Falcons took him and removed the temptation from Jerry.

Both players are generational talents and had outstanding rookie seasons.

Does anyone rue that we missed out on Pitts?

I don't, because defense was a much greater need than offense for last years team.

Thoughts ?

Rayman70

Reaction score
If we can draft 2 more Alpha dawgs ANYWHERE on the team, that helps us day 1. Alpha Dawgs are usually talented, leaders, and show up when needed most. They tend to be badasses, meaning VERY PHYSICAL. See 1 Micah Parsons. This draft is vital.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year leading up to the draft their was quite the debate on if we should draft Pitts if he slid to us at # 10.

I don't, because defense was a much greater need than offense for last years team.

Thoughts ?

Micah was the correct pick, and we got lucky.

Pitts and the 2 CB's were taken before the Dallas Selection. It made it a no brainer.
But what if Pitts and / or one, or both CB's were available. What then. This would have been debated for years depending on Micah's success somewhere else.

It worked out best.
As Pat Summerall once said...if they get lucky in the draft, and that is just what the draft is, is luck, this team should be good for a very long time.
He was referring to all the Dallas draft picks upcoming from the Walker trade.
He said that on Thanksgiving day in 1990, after Emmitt broke a long TD to ice the game, against the Commodes former team name.

As the draft is luck at times as to the way things fall. It is how Jimmy lucked into getting Emmitt. On 2 failed trade ups to get a LB, James Francis, and Lamar Lathon. So they "settled" to trade up to get Emmitt.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
This was a long discussion before the draft, but I never thought about Pitts and still don’t think of him as having been an option being a Cowboy because it was clear that he would be gone before we drafted. The fact that we were able to trade down a couple of slots and still draft Parsons is a miracle. OK one made possible because other teams stepped in to draft the corners that we were looking at, but still miraculous.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a few more years at the country club and getting paid, will parsons disappear?
He isnt wired that way it seems.

I was going to post, this is not Micah, he is different. He is the player that will change the attitude of this team.

The County Club, will have some Animal House in it now. :thumbup:

Jerry's Yacht will never be the same. :muttley:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Micah is the "anti Jaylon Smith."
source.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Thoughts ?

LOL..........my God that argument is now a complete blood bath.

I argued night and day with the Pitts fan club. This was an easy easy call. Parsons was just what this defense needed.

Pitts is a glorified WR, thats really what he is. They dont have him blocking.

What would we have done with Pitts, Shultz, Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, ect.....ect.....?

Heck we dont even need him now with Cooper gone.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jaylon is out of the league if memory serves, just about 1 year after that dumb goofy dance he did. All that was missing was a friggin Giant Lolly pop . Dude was s soft. HUGE bust.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was not as high on Pitts as some others, so I do not regret not getting him in the draft. But I wonder what our defense would have looked like had Denver taken a QB and the Cowboys drafted a CB. And what would we have done in the 2nd round?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Micah was the correct pick, and we got lucky.

Pitts and the 2 CB's were taken before the Dallas Selection. It made it a no brainer.
But what if Pitts and / or one, or both CB's were available. What then. This would have been debated for years depending on Micah's success somewhere else.

It worked out best.
As Pat Summerall once said...if they get lucky in the draft, and that is just what the draft is, is luck, this team should be good for a very long time.
He was referring to all the Dallas draft picks upcoming from the Walker trade.
He said that on Thanksgiving day in 1990, after Emmitt broke a long TD to ice the game, against the Commodes former team name.

As the draft is luck at times as to the way things fall. It is how Jimmy lucked into getting Emmitt. On 2 failed trade ups to get a LB, James Francis, and Lamar Lathon. So they "settled" to trade up to get Emmitt.
The draft is a bit of a crapshoot, because you don't control what the teams in front of you do.
But its not all luck.
You make your own luck,
And scouting hard and being prepared has paid off for the Cowboys and why our drafts have been stellar.