Parsons vs Pitts

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Impossible to know right now. LVE looked like the second coming of Brian Urlacher his rookie year. You never know whats going to happen. The retrospectives are best done 3-5 years after the draft.
Very true. But early returns on both look great.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That was a slick move dropping down 2 spots and gaining a 3rd.

I'm pretty sure we had both Parsons and Rashawn Slater high on our board and would've been happy with either of them at 12.
Yep, props to the front office on that move, it was outstanding!!!

Motorola

Reaction score
Last year leading up to the draft their was quite the debate on if we should draft Pitts if he slid to us at # 10.
Thankfully the Falcons took him and removed the temptation from Jerry.

Both players are generational talents and had outstanding rookie seasons.

Does anyone rue that we missed out on Pitts?

I don't, because defense was a much greater need than offense for last years team.

Thoughts ?
This was a long discussion before the draft, but I never thought about Pitts and still don’t think of him as having been an option being a Cowboy because it was clear that he would be gone before we drafted. The fact that we were able to trade down a couple of slots and still draft Parsons is a miracle. OK one made possible because other teams stepped in to draft the corners that we were looking at, but still miraculous.
Agree with 'Hagman' - Pitts wasn't going to remain on the draft board to the Cowboys' #10 pick.
Despite the local sports media and many fans calling for QB Justin Fields, the Falcons' 1st year GM & HC were going to roll with longtime veteran Matt Ryan for at least one more season. That understandably led to them looking for the BPA to immediately impact the team. They saw the TE Pitts as the ideal choice - especially with the decline of their star WR Julio Jones (injury-plauged 2020 was his 2nd worse season with only 9 games, 51 catches, 771 yds, 3 TDs).

Last edited:

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
You're falling for spew, dude. That's just Parsons being silly.

Character issues? Like what? Oh, is that the stupid hazing crapp? Man, you guys will fall for anything.

I totally understand your homerism. I was once there. I didn’t care what rumors were said about wentz. I didn’t believe any of them. I thought alshon jeffery was just a jerk. (I owe that man an apology) Now wentz is on his 3rd team and I think he might be the problem with his lack of accountability. You want to chalk parsons comments up to “that’s just parsons being silly”, that sounds like something I would of said a few years ago.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Parsons was a home run.

Long term, the question (if any) will be Parsons or Rashawn Slater.....since those were the options and both appear to be long-term Pro Bowlers.

kskboys

Reaction score
I totally understand your homerism. I was once there. I didn’t care what rumors were said about wentz. I didn’t believe any of them. I thought alshon jeffery was just a jerk. (I owe that man an apology) Now wentz is on his 3rd team and I think he might be the problem with his lack of accountability. You want to chalk parsons comments up to “that’s just parsons being silly”, that sounds like something I would of said a few years ago.
You really should get to know a poster before starting the name calling. I was enjoying our convo before you went childish on me.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it was a terrible move and we got lucky.
The Cowboys were told directly who the trade-up was for and there were two home-run players (Slater and Parsons) still at the top of their board.
Plus they knew Chicago was desperate to move up as well. (Maybe Giants shouldve taken Parsons or Slater but they did get 2 firsts from Chicago to drop down to 20)
So I'm not so sure they got lucky with the trade down.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Just to be clear. The only character issue against Parsons was the alleged hazing.

Parsons coaches at Penn State loved him and he didn’t have any other reports of issues with other teammates at Penn State.

the only red flag was the alleged hazing incident.

It’s not like it’s really a “pattern” of behavior or there’s any other smoke about him being a locker room problem.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
Just to be clear. The only character issue against Parsons was the alleged hazing.

Parsons coaches at Penn State loved him and he didn’t have any other reports of issues with other teammates at Penn State.

the only red flag was the alleged hazing incident.

It’s not like it’s really a “pattern” of behavior or there’s any other smoke about him being a locker room problem.

antonio brown didn’t have a pattern, until he did. I’m not saying parsons is anything close to antonio, some teams can keep things in house. You bring up the hazing but don’t mention what he said at the wwe. It really isn’t anything, until it is

HungryLion

Reaction score
antonio brown didn’t have a pattern, until he did. I’m not saying parsons is anything close to antonio, some teams can keep things in house. You bring up the hazing but don’t mention what he said at the wwe. It really isn’t anything, until it is

Lol gotcha. So your argument is “Parsons isn’t a locker room problem right now, but he may one day so…..”

I didn’t mention the WWE comment because it was 100% a meaningless joke when he was playing around for the show.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was a terrible move and we got lucky.
Yep, they didn't have Parsons in rare air and missed out on Horn and Surtain so if they'd been jumped, they would have just taken the next player.

One of their little tastes for celebrity backfired on them. While Booger is blowing hard about Parsons was always the guy, the son outed him as a liar on his own show and revealed the two CB's were their first two choices. They talk so much they don't take the time to find out what the other is going to say.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Agree with 'Hagman' - Pitts wasn't going to remain on the draft board to the Cowboys' #10 pick.
Despite the local sports media and many fans calling for QB Justin Fields, the Falcons' 1st year GM & HC were going to roll with longtime veteran Matt Ryan for at least one more season. That understandably led to them looking for the BPA to immediately impact the team. They saw the TE Pitts as the ideal choice - especially with the decline of their star WR Julio Jones (injury-plauged 2020 was his 2nd worse season with only 9 games, 51 catches, 771 yds, 3 TDs).
There was talk of the boys trading up for Pitts.
I would have been against such a move and glad it did not happen.
You have to let the draft come to you.
We did get the best player for us and a 3rd to boot, so its hard to imagine it working out any better for us.

Motorola

Reaction score
There was talk of the boys trading up for Pitts.
I would have been against such a move and glad it did not happen.
You have to let the draft come to you.
We did get the best player for us and a 3rd to boot, so its hard to imagine it working out any better for us.
'jvb' - I think we should do the same thing in a couple weeks from now.
The Cowboys should determine the 5 to 7 prospects they are absolutely sold on to select (in respect to the position they play combined with impending impact for the team).
Rank them accordingly; PLUS - plan out possible draft scenarios as they evolve and the trade compensation needed for the player(s) still available as the moment approaches for the franchise to make the pick.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
'jvb' - I think we should do the same thing in a couple weeks from now.
The Cowboys should determine the 5 to 7 prospects they are absolutely sold on to select (in respect to the position they play combined with impending impact for the team).
Rank them accordingly; PLUS - plan out possible draft scenarios as they evolve and the trade compensation needed for the player(s) still available as the moment approaches for the franchise to make the pick.
I agree 100% and would love for you to head up our draft.
Do you need a job ?:thumbup:

Motorola

Reaction score
I agree 100% and would love for you to head up our draft.
Do you need a job ?:thumbup:
When can get together, Mr. Jones?:laugh:
You might have just revealed a new attraction to implement for the Cowboys zealous following:
Fan Lottery: Cowboys faithful submit a 7-round mock; the one that comes closest to selecting the last three picks that mirrors the FO choice gets invited to draft night!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
When can get together, Mr. Jones?:laugh:
You might have just revealed a new attraction to implement for the Cowboys zealous following:
Fan Lottery: Cowboys faithful submit a 7-round mock; the one that comes closest to selecting the last three picks that mirrors the FO choice gets invited to draft night!
If it will make money for Jerry he is in ! LOL