Part of being a Cowboys fan is rooting against other teams

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
That’s fine as long as you realize that might not be in the Cowboys best interest come the playoffs.
I don't worry about that right now. Now if it was December and we needed the Lions to lose so we can get in that would be different. The Cowboys need to worry about winning games themselves and not about other teams.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but entertaining isn’t always what’s in the Cowboys best interest . As long as you understand that’s fine .

And that fallacy is simply trying to deflect my point and argument cause don’t agree or like the point.

At first I thought I was being misunderstood but I now realize they don’t like their fandom being called out,
You clearly don't understand the No True Scotsman fallacy because you're doubling down on it here.

The idea that you can "call out" someone's fandom, that they're lesser fans because they don't see things exactly the way you think they ought to see them: that is textbook No True Scotsman.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue if they lost tonight we might not have to need it in December.

I just am blown away that fans don’t root against other teams in the best interest of the Cowboys .

This will definitely be in my weekly discussion with my local fans Sunday as we all zoom together on Game Day. I know what heir answer will be .

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys I’m close to always root for what’s in the Cowboys best interest. Even if it’s not entertaining for that particular game .

And for me yes, care what our team and front office are rooting for which should be aligned with the fans.

I get it and why I initially stated sometimes we must set our emotions to the side for a particular team side for what’s best for the team. Even if it seems remote in first week of the season .
You've encountered many Cowboys fans in this thread and the game thread who disagree with you. You are claiming we are not true Cowboys fans, telling us what "we" "must" and "should" do. And I'm here to tell you that that's garbage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't worry about that right now. Now if it was December and we needed the Lions to lose so we can get in that would be different. The Cowboys need to worry about winning games themselves and not about other teams.

I just am blown away that fans don’t root against other teams in the best interest of the Cowboys .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You've encountered many Cowboys fans in this thread and the game thread who disagree with you. You are claiming they are not true Cowboys fans, telling us what we "must" and "should" do. And I'm here to tell you that that's garbage.
I haven’t said they aren’t true Cowboy fans.

But I am stating they should be rooting for what’s in the Cowboys best interest.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t said they aren’t true Cowboy fans.

But I am stating they should be rooting for what’s in the Cowboys best interest.
Haha, your two statements directly contradict each other. If you're telling people what they "should" do if they're Cowboys fans, then you're clearly saying that if they don't do it, they're not Cowboys fans (or at least they're lesser, impure Cowboys fans).

Personally, I'm trying to imagine how any football fan (okay, other than Chiefs fans) could not have enjoyed that game tonight and its outcome. Seems like a sad world to live in.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

I have no problem with Detroit. If it was GB or SF I would have rooted for KC. Sunday I'll root for the Steelers against the 49ers even though I hate both. If the Cowboys win their games then they shouldn't worry what other teams do and if they do then they aren't going far in the playoffs anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The idea that you can "call out" someone's fandom, that they're lesser fans because they don't see things exactly the way you think they ought to see them: that is textbook No True Scotsman.
Haha, your two statements directly contradict each other. If you're telling people what they "should" do if they're Cowboys fans, then you're clearly saying that if they don't do it, they're not Cowboys fans (or at least they're lesser, impure Cowboys fans).
At first I thought they just needed some guidance . Now it’s beginning to appear like they actually don’t care to always root for what’s in the Cowboys best interest.

This is all new to me and I’m blown away by it. I wanted to think I was simply being misunderstood but now I’m beginning to think it’s either ignorance or individual selfishness rooting for personal interest or entertainment instead of the team. I still haven’t figure it all out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have no problem with Detroit. If it was GB or SF I would have rooted for KC. Sunday I'll root for the Steelers against the 49ers even though I hate both. If the Cowboys win their games then they shouldn't worry what other teams do and if they do then they aren't going far in the playoffs anyway.
Exactly. And why I initially said we must sometimes set our emotions aside for what’s in the Cowboys best interest.

I know how difficult than can be. I’ve been doing it for over 60 years.

It was no fun having to root for KC over Lions tonight.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At first I thought they just needed some guidance . Now it’s beginning to appear like they actually don’t care to always root for what’s in the Cowboys best interest.

This is all new to me and I’m blown away by it. I wanted to think I was simply being misunderstood but now I’m beginning to think it’s either ignorance or individual selfishness rooting for personal interest or entertainment instead of the team. I still haven’t figure it all out.
At first you thought people were too stupid to understand you. They weren't. They understood you perfectly. They just recognized your misguided and parochial worldview for what it is.

Now you think they're ignorant or selfish because they disagree with you. They're not.

Personally, I agree that somebody here needs guidance.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. And why I initially said we must sometimes set our emotions aside for what’s in the Cowboys best interest.

I know how difficult than can be. I’ve been doing it for over 60 years.

It was no fun having to root for KC over Lions tonight.
Dude, you didn't have to. Personally, I had tremendous fun rooting for DET over KC tonight. I'm just as much a Cowboys fan as you, but only one of us seems to be a Cowboys fan who's having fun. And if being a fan isn't fun, what's the point of it?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dude, you didn't have to. Personally, I had tremendous fun rooting for DET over KC tonight. And I'm as much a Cowboys fan as you.
You’re trying to read more into what my message is.

First of all, all Cowboy fans aren’t in the same level of fandom. We can’t know what level of fans we all are . But that’s not my intent in this.

I knew fans emotionally would want to root for the underdog Lions tonite. As much as rooting against Chiefs. I wanted to also .

But it wasn’t in the Cowboys best interest. I’m not even sure all of these fans can acknowledge that?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, all Cowboy fans aren’t in the same level of fandom. We can’t know what level of fans we all are
I could not give a clearer example of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy if I tried.

"No Cowboys fan would root for the Lions."
"Here are many Cowboys fans who were rooting for the Lions."
"No TRUE (high-level) Cowboys fan would root for the Lions."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I could not give a clearer example of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy if I tried.

You still don’t get it. This isn’t a referendum on Cowboys fandom.

I’ll ask again. What was in the Cowboys best interest tonight?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for one fan to provide me an argument why a Lions win was more in the Cowboys interest than a Chiefs win.

There is one albeit a weaker one which would impact or effect us if we actually made the SB.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You still don’t get it. This isn’t a referendum on Cowboys fandom.

I’ll ask again. What was in the Cowboys best interest tonight?
You're the one who doesn't get it. You keep using words like "should" and "must" and "not on the same level of fandom" and then you keep trying to claim it's not a referendum on fandom. That's exactly what you're making it into. Your words could not possibly be clearer in that regard. As soon as you say what "we" as fans "should" or "must" do, you are making it a litmus test. Not sure why you insist on denying what's crystal clear in your statements.

Obviously, NFC contenders (other than the Cowboys) losing games is generally a boon to the Cowboys' playoff seeding potential. But the odds of this game being particularly important are extremely low. And by the way, there are other considerations:

First, if the AFC is beating the NFC up and down all season, that's bad for the Cowboys' chances to win the SB because it means that the AFC powerhouses are still the cream of the league. The Chiefs coming back to earth is ultimately good for the Cowboys' SB-winning chances. Same if the Chiefs stumble just enough early that they end up on the road and get upset by a lesser team in the playoffs.

Second, if the Cowboys lose out on the #1 seed because the Lions are a game better in the standings, so be it, but I sincerely doubt that's how the season plays out. (If they're tied in the standings, the Cowboys are more likely to take the tiebreaker because at least one of the Lions' wins doesn't count toward the tiebreaker). If we're talking about wildcard seeding, then I really don't care, because either way it means a road path all the way through the playoffs anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It is what it is. I thought maybe some fans didn’t realize a Lions loss was more in the Cowboys interest .

Now it appears they didn’t care. So yea, I’ll question their priorities.

Sure , it’s early in the season but that win could impact our seedings in the playoffs. And why I’ll argue we should always root for what’s in our best interest even if it isn’t fun.

If you take that personal like I’m calling out your fandom, so be it. That’s on you probably feeling guilty for choosing personal emotions, etc over Cowboys best interest. And I’ll stand by it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is what it is. I thought maybe some fans didn’t realize a Lions loss was more in the Cowboys interest .

Now it appears they didn’t care. So yea, I’ll question their priorities.

Sure , it’s early in the season but that win could impact our seedings in the playoffs. And why I’ll argue we should always root for what’s in our best interest even if it isn’t fun.

If you take that personal like I’m calling out your fandom, so be it. That’s on you probably feeling guilty for choosing personal emotions, etc over Cowboys best interest. And I’ll stand by it.
This is beyond hilarious now.

"I'll argue we should always do X. I'll question your priorities."... "Oh, but I'm not calling out your fandom."

By your own admission, you're not having fun. I am. I ask again: if you're not having fun, what's the point of being a fan?