Patrick Peterson aces Wonderlic

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Or not.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/17/low-wonderlic-scores-ding-elite-nfl-prospects

Two of the NFL's brightest future stars, LSU CB Patrick Peterson and Georgia WR A.J. Green, registered among the five lowest Wonderlic scores of the 330 participants at this year's Combine.

Peterson was one of four prospects who recorded a dreaded single-digit score, which NFL teams often equate with getting their name right, tying with South Carolina's Chris Culliver for the lowest mark among all defensive backs as both correctly answered only nine questions on the 12-minute, 50-question test.

Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but (if) he's in 'cat' (man-to-man) coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue as it will be for offensive guys."

A scout with deep knowledge of the kid said, "The more I'm around him, the more I love him even more. I love the kid, and I love the talent. But I don't like the way he plays with his back to the ball. He has an instinct issue, and I think it's tied to his mental (ability). He can only handle so much. He's not a quick processor. It's a scary year to be drafting in the top 10 because they all have some issue."

Bigdog

Reaction score
Well hopefully he got his name right.:laugh2: Unfortunately, Hos, I don't think this changes a thing with the first 8 teams. He will be gone in the top 5. If he drops to us than I grade our draft an A no matter what we pick afterwards because I just don't expect him to be there.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The teams running complicated zone defenses would be the teams unlikely to take him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bigdog;3881846 said:
Well hopefully he got his name right.:laugh2: Unfortunately, Hos, I don't think this changes a thing with the first 8 teams. He will be gone in the top 5. If he drops to us than I grade our draft an A no matter what we pick afterwards because I just don't expect him to be there.
That one I am not at all sure of. Three teams in the top 5 need QBs, Carolina, Buffalo, and Cincy. Denver is going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and has no pass rush. If Cincy doesn't take a QB they will take WR because they are strong at CB. Arizona wants pass rush.

Buffalo is the wildcard.

If he makes it to 6 I think we will get him.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Peterson is a great player and I would take him if he was there at #9. I would not trade up for him though. This team is far from being only one player away...and having to move multiple picks to get up to get him is flatout wrong. The team can get by with what we have at CB now. There are far more pressing needs on the OL, S, and DL.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3881763 said:
Please let 8 teams in front of us care about this.

This

Dez Bryant doesnt have a whole lot going on upstairs either and we saw how much that hurt him as a rookie :rolleyes:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Lol if that was prince amukamara there would be an outcry. Hell wonderlic might not mean the guy cant run or hit. But it might mean he wont understand a complex scheme like ryans. I'd like it if he fell to 9, but they better have somebody drilling the playbook in his head like they should've been doing with dez last yr.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;3881862 said:
Lol if that was prince amukamara there would be an outcry. Hell wonderlic might not mean the guy cant run or hit. But it might mean he wont understand a complex scheme like ryans. I'd like it if he fell to 9, but they better have somebody drilling the playbook in his head like they should've been doing with dez last yr.

Prince Amukamara also isnt as good a player as Peterson. At a certain point, a guy is good enough that you can ignore his Wonderlic entirely. A lot of NFL legends scored poorly on their Wonderlic exam.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3881866 said:
Peterson vs. Bryant in practices.

Michael vs. Deion part II.

Wouldnt go quite that far just yet. Bryant definitely has the ability to be as good (or better) than Irvin, at least from a physical standpoint. Peterson isnt the athlete that Deion was, and that isnt a knock on Peterson. I doubt we ever see a corner who can shut down receivers like Deion could ever again. Even guys like Revis and Asomugha pale in comparison.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3881865 said:
Prince Amukamara also isnt as good a player as Peterson. At a certain point, a guy is good enough that you can ignore his Wonderlic entirely. A lot of NFL legends scored poorly on their Wonderlic exam.

No you can not.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Denver will take him IMO anyways. Dumervil is coming back, Ayers goes back to his normal DE spot, and they can address later in the draft.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;3881869 said:
No you can not.

Knowing the difference between a trapezoid and a rhombus generally doesnt translate to on-field performance.

The vast majority of guys to get great scores (40+) never make an impact. Four of the five highest scorers in history have never started a single NFL game. Likewise, the average Wonderlic score of the 2011 Po-Bowl rosters was 17, including three players who scored in single digits.

Translation: There are far more single digit scorers who make an impact than elite scorers. the test is meaningless for every position outside of QB, and even then it's iffy. Dan Marino scored a 16, Michael Vick an 11. Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48. Who would you take?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
1. Darren Davis 4
2. Pig Prather 5
3. Oscar Davenport 6
4. Vince Young 6
5. Chris Leak 8
6. Sebastian Janikowski 9
7. Jeff George 10
8. Michael Bishop 10
9. CJ Spiller 10
10. Hakeem Nicks 11

Lol with this group of rejects and guys who people say are bad human beings and headcases. But Peterson gets a pass because you like him. This group is filled with Character issues galore. And since its single digits scores, they gauranteed atleast to be the top 7 lowest scores ever?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
carphalen5150;3881870 said:
Denver will take him IMO anyways. Dumervil is coming back, Ayers goes back to his normal DE spot, and they can address later in the draft.

Good, Dallas already has its fair share of Stupid illiterate players who dont seem to know right from left

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;3881873 said:
1. Darren Davis 4
2. Pig Prather 5
3. Oscar Davenport 6
4. Vince Young 6
5. Chris Leak 8
6. Sebastian Janikowski 9
7. Jeff George 10
8. Michael Bishop 10
9. CJ Spiller 10
10. Hakeem Nicks 11

Lol with this group of rejects and guys who people say are bad human beings and headcases. But Peterson gets a pass because you like him. This group is filled with Character issues galore. And since its single digits scores, they gauranteed atleast to be the top 7 lowest scores ever?

I'd take Nicks, Spillar and Janikowski in a heartbeat. You also left out a several big time players who scored in the single digits. I don't where you are getting your numbers, because a lot more players than you listed have recorded single digit scores.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3881875 said:
I'd take Nicks, Spillar and Janikowski in a heartbeat. You also left out a several big time players who scored in the single digits. I don't where you are getting your numbers, because a lot more players than you listed have recorded single digit scores.

no i didnt. Got it from bleacher report of the lowest scores of its history