Patrick Peterson aces Wonderlic

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CATCH17;3881977 said:
As long as he isn't stupid on the football field.

We have to have the dumbest team of all time with how we give up some of these games as it is.

Some of that dumbness can be attributed to lack of preparation and lack of focus, and the person responsible for those things is no longer here. He's in Houston.

Duane

Reaction score
So he's stiff and stupid. Sounds like the Vince Young of DBs.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;3881982 said:
Some of that dumbness can be attributed to lack of preparation and lack of focus, and the person responsible for those things is no longer here. He's in Houston.

Please don't fool yourself into thinking this wasn't a very dumb team before Wade got here.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Duane;3882002 said:
So he's stiff and stupid. Sounds like the Vince Young of DBs.

:laugh1:

And to all the people ridiculing the idea that the Wonderlic is some great predictor of pro success... Nobody said that. It's obvious that it's not as simple as higher scores equalling better players. But as burm suggested, I know I've seen studies indicating that those who score below a certain cutoff point (10? 12?) do seem to underachieve in the pros.

I thought one of the huge attractions of Ryan was that he ran multiple schemes and the playbook would be much bigger this year. Under an Al Davis defense where you just man up every play, this probably wouldn't matter. But like LatinMind said, does a team that's obviously had problems retaining assignments need more dumb players coming into a more complex scheme?

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
bsheeern;3881885 said:
This is a list of the bottom 35 QB's all time til 2005.
Bottom 35

Shuler, Heath 1994 Tennessee 16

Oh wow! I would feel a lot more comfortable having a CB with a 9 than a Congressman with a 16!

:laugh1:

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
If you've ever seen some of the questions on these tests, you should be frightened of anyone that scores single-digits.

Having said that, I'll take a chance on the big dummy, lol.

burmafrd

Reaction score
what we need are more football smart people. Gurode was a top student at Colorado but has never been very football smart. You see it on our D all the time; Woody had it and he was the last one we had in the Secondary that really was football smart. Hamlin was not too bad; but certainly over paid for what he did. My question about Peterson comes down to this: is he FOOTBALL SMART?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
carphalen5150;3881909 said:
Wonderlic aside...not sure why Peterson is the be all/end all player we should be looking at. Peterson is not the one player this team needs to push them over the top.
I don't believe it's ever about 1 player, but I will say that the more weapons you assemble the better your chances and he is a weapon.

I would trade up to add a weapon. Now and in the future.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Well we once had the opposite end of "dumb" and his name was Drew Henson. Keep forgetting how well that guy worked out for us. Those scores tell the truth, lemme tell ya!

Really I wouldn't put too much stock in this test. Drew is a good example and the bumbling idiot Parcells made him, where his high wonderlic scores didn't do him an ounce of good. If the guys meant to be a "player", no test in the world is going to predict that or stop that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3881861 said:
This

Dez Bryant doesnt have a whole lot going on upstairs either and we saw how much that hurt him as a rookie :rolleyes:

Actually, it did hurt. There were many comments/reports about him not running the proper routes.

However, we need to understand that a test doesn't measure a person's potential, just where they are in their intelligence at a given point.

Bryant can improve beyond his first year, and so can Peterson beyond his Wonderlic test.

Teams that trap him forever in the same spot based on their Wonderlic scores will likely regret it, unless the players show an aptitude that they will be, for whatever reason, incapable of learning or improving.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3881868 said:
Wouldnt go quite that far just yet. Bryant definitely has the ability to be as good (or better) than Irvin, at least from a physical standpoint. Peterson isnt the athlete that Deion was, and that isnt a knock on Peterson. I doubt we ever see a corner who can shut down receivers like Deion could ever again. Even guys like Revis and Asomugha pale in comparison.

Agreed. Deion just had scary talent. And imagine if he had practiced like Jerry Rice or lifted weights. :eek:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hostile;3882088 said:
I don't believe it's ever about 1 player, but I will say that the more weapons you assemble the better your chances and he is a weapon.

I would trade up to add a weapon. Now and in the future.
I look at it that when you are picking top ten you have an opportunity to draft a special player. So when you have one of those picks you better try to get the one(s) that you believe can be that.

Now if they miss out on those blue chip guys then by all means trade down and fill as many holes as possible. Although I think there is a special player slated toward 15 that is being overlooked because he's a rb and doesn't have the eye popping speed.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;3882111 said:
Actually, it did hurt. There were many comments/reports about him not running the proper routes.

I don't really care. You can have the Ryan Fitzpatricks and Kevin Curtises of the world, I'll take 53 Dez Bryants along with their "issues learning the playbook" and go win the Superbowl every year.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Patton;3882022 said:
Please don't fool yourself into thinking this wasn't a very dumb team before Wade got here.

What players specifically would you class as "dumb"

Just curious.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Patton;3882022 said:

We had more penalties and turnovers every single year under Wade than we ever did under Parcells

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;3882171 said:
What players specifically would you class as "dumb"

Just curious.

What would it matter of he could list a couple "dumb' players? I consider dez Bryant "dumb" and yet he will be a fantastic WR for the next decade if he stays healthy. Likewise, Drew Henson had a genius IQ and was awful.