Patrick Surtain the next Revis

Aven8

Reaction score
Farley and Parsons sitting this year out is a very scary proposition IMO. That’s a long time to sit out for a young guy.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waste of a draft pick. Provides zero impact to this defense. Changes nothing.

Knotamus

Reaction score
He also said Woods was gonna be a stud.

Lol, all I’m saying is.. even though Jeff Cavanaugh IS annoying, he has decent analysis and is about as accurate as anyone else when predicting prospects. So, I’m not going to crap on the guy as your suggesting.

And to be fair about Xavier Woods.. he was a 6th Rd pick (191 overall). And even though I agree we can definitely do better, he’s started 48games and has shown some success before Mike Nolan came along. Woods and Jamal Adams (1st rd, 6th overall) came from the same draft class. Woods obviously isn’t on Adams level, and prob shouldn’t be when considering their draft pedigree, but Woods has held up well for a late round pick.

Woods: 5 INTs / 18PD
Adams: 2 INTs / 28PD

Woods was a good pick in relation to where he was drafted. Is he a stud? No. He’s definitely a decent rotational/backup safety. I should add.. I actually wonder how much better he could be under better defensive coaching. Bc lord knows, Dallas has been absent of that. Just putting things in perspective my friend.

Croomraider

Reaction score
This is the pick! Surtain Jr. for best player available that fits a need!
Farley is not on the Surtain Jr. level. I like Wade more than Farley.

However, if Surtain Jr. is off the board, then we should take best player available
regardless of offense or defense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is the pick! Surtain Jr. for best player available that fits a need!
Farley is not on the Surtain Jr. level. I like Wade more than Farley.

However, if Surtain Jr. is off the board, then we should take best player available
regardless of offense or defense.
oline if Surtain is gone. We HAVE to win at the point of attack. and on dline.

Rayman70

Reaction score
oline or dline all day at 10. Oline can have the quickest impact.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Farley and Parsons sitting this year out is a very scary proposition IMO. That’s a long time to sit out for a young guy.
good point. Which is why I am leaning Oline at 10. Plug and play starter instantly.

acer941

Reaction score
Just stop it!! Are you a Bama fan? Why compare Surtain who hasn't played 1 snap in the NFL to a future Hall of Famer? There is no doubt he is a high floor player, but many believe he has limited upside. Lack of long speed, average ball skills, some question his tackling in the run game. A lot of the same negatives were heard about Diggs, outside of the ball skills. The most common player comp is Bryon Jones. As we know a quality starter, but not a all-pro type.

I believe Surtain will be a quality player on the next level and would love to have him, but don't see a future superstar on the next level as Revis was. Let's see how he performs tonight against a legitimate test, which Notre Dame was not.

Yes, I Am. Doesn’t change the fact that Todd McShay has said that Surtain is the most technically/Fundamentally sound CB he has ever scouted in his entire career of Scouting.

He says it during the Playoff game VS. The Irish if you’re interested in looking it up.

acer941

Reaction score
Also me being a fan, gives more credit to my Argument since I have watched every snap he has played in College, imo...

Rayman70

Reaction score
no one IS Revis in this draft. He was a generational CORNER. So stop it guys lol. Jerry would actually commit murder in broad daylight if he thought we had a guy as good as Revis in this draft and we could get him at 10. Jerry would DO ANYTHING.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, I Am. Doesn’t change the fact that Todd McShay has said that Surtain is the most technically/Fundamentally sound CB he has ever scouted in his entire career of Scouting.

He says it during the Playoff game VS. The Irish if you’re interested in looking it up.
He is very polished, but doesn’t possess elite traits at the position

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know if Surtain will be the next Revis but I do believe he is an outstanding CB who would be a great addition to this defense. Same goes for Farley.

acer941

Reaction score
no one IS Revis in this draft. He was a generational CORNER. So stop it guys lol. Jerry would actually commit murder in broad daylight if he thought we had a guy as good as Revis in this draft and we could get him at 10. Jerry would DO ANYTHING.

Like how Jerry Claimed Claiborne had the making of Deion and traded the farm to get him?

acer941

Reaction score
He is very polished, but doesn’t possess elite traits at the position

Im really curious. What elite traits are you saying he doesn’t posses? He wouldn’t be considered in the Top5 of the Draft if he didn’t posses Elite Talent...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im really curious. What elite traits are you saying he doesn’t posses? He wouldn’t be considered in the Top5 of the Draft if he didn’t posses Elite Talent...
Already said, he lacks elite speed and ball skills.

visionary

Reaction score
I’ve watched every Alabama game for the past Decade or so and I’m willing to bet my next years Salary that Patrick Surtain will become a Star.

Kid has been drilled on Technique & Fundamentals since he could walk (His exact words). His father was a NFL CB so it makes sense.

Even in the CFP game against Notre Dane. The Head Coach for the Irish said he has told his QB all week to never throw at Surtain no matter what and they didn’t except 1Time when Surtain almost got the Interception. The Commentator even pointed out that Surtain was trying to Bait ‘Book(IrishQB) into passing his way.

The Kid is special, and would transform our Secondary. Add Him & a Safety = our Secondary massive improvement, also can’t forget Diggs with a year under his belt and healthy.

Thoughts?

Side Note: Surtain has Started at CB since Day1, walked onto Alabama Campus.

He’s about to get smoked by Olave tonight, LOL

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cavanaugh has been sneaky good the past few years.

He's got a bit of shtick going .."Team 40 Burger" and "Captain Trade Down" but he's been right on prospects a lot lately.

Also, I like Horn a lot BUT do not think he's better than Surtain.

For me, it's 1A Farley, 1B Surtain, 3 Horn, and then a big margin before Kendrick and the 2 Georgia Corners. Asante Samuel Jr. is really good, just smallish.

Any of them appear to be better than what we have now...