Patrick Surtain the next Revis

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I disagree. To run a heavy Cover 3 scheme, you want big, athletic Corners who can win in the first 5 yards. Diggs, who I'm a big fan of, is a Press Corner who doesn't Press. He doesn't like to use his hands early and relies on his athleticism to "match" or "step & replace." I'd be curious to see if Quinn tries to get Diggs to press more.

I do agree with your assessment about needing a Safety with range. I could see this (lazy) Front Office falling in love with Andre Cisco because of this.

Good points, about still the need of an athletic corner and Diggs lack of hand usage in press. The press/bail technique requires the corners to disrupt timing at the line of scrimmage and then turn/run to their deep zone. With Diggs tremendous length, Quinn it going to make sure he uses it. Westry becomes another name of interest and it is possible Quinn may view Robinson more as a corner.

You know this team has been searching for defensive turnovers for years. Seeing a player like Cisco might peak their interest, but this defense is more about preventing the big passing plays over the top and forcing teams to beat you underneath. Cisco just gives up way too many big plays to think they will have interest.

I wonder if they keep Donovan Wilson at Free, with his high level ball skills, although he lacks the necessary range and draft a player like Nasirildeen as he is a very similar type player to Chancellor.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He’s going to be a damn good corner for sure.

He will go to us or Denver. We get either Surtain or Farley. I’m praying we get Surtain
Idk man, I really fear both will be gone.

Corners are ALWAYS overdrafted. Only way I see us getting Surtain is if he runs 4.5, which leads to the question “would you still want him at that point?”.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He’s going to be a damn good corner for sure.

He will go to us or Denver. We get either Surtain or Farley. I’m praying we get Surtain

Having Surtain and his former Alabama teammate Diggs back together in the secondary would be a big boost to this defense.

Carson

Reaction score
Idk man, I really fear both will be gone.

Corners are ALWAYS overdrafted. Only way I see us getting Surtain is if he runs 4.5, which leads to the question “would you still want him at that point?”.

To me, film never lies. Diggs wasn’t exceptionally fast and he was beat deep a few times (Metcalf); but his overall makeup, work ethic and toughness makes him a legit corner.

I look at the other 9 teams in front of us and don’t see how many can go the CB route outside of Denver

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To me, film never lies. Diggs wasn’t exceptionally fast and he was beat deep a few times (Metcalf); but his overall makeup, work ethic and toughness makes him a legit corner.

I look at the other 9 teams in front of us and don’t see how many can go the CB route outside of Denver

The matchup vs Seahawks was week 3 and yes Diggs like many rookies got burned but he seemed to learn and improve as the season wore on. I never expect a rookie to walk in day 1 and play like a HOF player I expect some bumps in the road but to me when you see a guy be able to shake it off and continue to work and improve that is big in my eyes. Diggs has the talent I have no doubts about that

Carson

Reaction score
The matchup vs Seahawks was week 3 and yes Diggs like many rookies got burned but he seemed to learn and improve as the season wore on. I never expect a rookie to walk in day 1 and play like a HOF player I expect some bumps in the road but to me when you see a guy be able to shake it off and continue to work and improve that is big in my eyes. Diggs has the talent I have no doubts about that

Big facts.

You could tell he knew he belonged in this league by the end of the year. If we get Surtain it’ll be our best CB combo since back on the Smith / Brown / Sanders days

Creeper

Reaction score
There is no value

Drafting 4th is worth 1800 points. Drafting 10th is worth 1300 points. The difference of 500 points is worth the 8th pick in the 2nd round. I would say tanking has quite a bit of value. As the Eagles who will be picking ahead of Dallas. I fully expect to hear moans and groans when the Eagles pick a coveted player ahead of us.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am a fan of Surtain no doubt. By far the best press coverage cornerback in the draft. He is a big physical corner but think about we already have a big physical corner with ball skills in Diggs. We got him in the second round. At the beginning of the season I would have taken Surtain off the Alabama practice field and benched Diggs. Now I would draft Diggs ahead of any cornerback that is available in this draft. Surtain at his best would be Byron Jones, Diggs at his best is Richard Sherman in his prime. We have other issues on the defense defensive line and linebacker that need to be filled. I am in the Captain trade down room now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am a fan of Surtain no doubt. By far the best press coverage cornerback in the draft. He is a big physical corner but think about we already have a big physical corner with ball skills in Diggs. We got him in the second round. At the beginning of the season I would have taken Surtain off the Alabama practice field and benched Diggs. Now I would draft Diggs ahead of any cornerback that is available in this draft. Surtain at his best would be Byron Jones, Diggs at his best is Richard Sherman in his prime. We have other issues on the defense defensive line and linebacker that need to be filled. I am in the Captain trade down room now.

If NFL did not have as much passing as it does I would agree with you. I would love to have the former college teammates playing together in this secondary. Meanwhile we have 3 CB heading for FA in Awuzie, Lewis and Goodwin. Right now I would be more than happy to get Surtain or Farley and look to a guy like DT Dixon in the 2nd

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If NFL did not have as much passing as it does I would agree with you. I would love to have the former college teammates playing together in this secondary. Meanwhile we have 3 CB heading for FA in Awuzie, Lewis and Goodwin. Right now I would be more than happy to get Surtain or Farley and look to a guy like DT Dixon in the 2nd
We have some many holes. The Football Team secondary is worse then ours but they have a top 5 defense. I thnk we can find a solid corner later in the draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jeff Cavanaugh also guaranteed Michael Gallup was going to be good.. I find him annoying too, but he’s been more right than wrong with his prediction. Just giving credit where credit is due.

Farley or Surtain for me tho
Yeah I think Jeff Cavanaugh is pretty good. I mean you can't predict who's going to be good and do it accurately. But when eh does his predictions he's not off based. Its based on what he sees on film. He also saw the Xavier Woods pick...granted, I know people don't like him right now but he was a 6th round pick.....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I'm not against trading down but I think its going to be tough to find a trade partner....who are you trading up for at #10? And how low am I trading down for? I want a day 1 starter and if you trade back too far you may not get one...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We have some many holes. The Football Team secondary is worse then ours but they have a top 5 defense. I thnk we can find a solid corner later in the draft.

If Dallas feels that way then they need to trade out of the 10 spot and get an extra pick, I think taking DT in the top 10 is a reach. Surtain and Farley one should be there in the top 10. Barmore I think will be a later 1st rd pick at best and a top 2nd rd at worse. I think the most important is getting the value out of that 10 spot, if we stay there are 2 top CB that can help this team. As for DT I think 2nd rd you will see some very good ones Daviyon Nixon, Jay Tufele, Tedarrell Slaton, Marvin Wilson

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm not against trading down but I think its going to be tough to find a trade partner....who are you trading up for at #10? And how low am I trading down for? I want a day 1 starter and if you trade back too far you may not get one...
The Football Team needs a quarterback. They won’t get a top 4 quarterback at 19 with San Francisco and New England in front of them. We might be the only team they could trade with without give up an extra first round pick. We can pick up two starters with the 10th pick with the right trade.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Dallas feels that way then they need to trade out of the 10 spot and get an extra pick, I think taking DT in the top 10 is a reach. Surtain and Farley one should be there in the top 10. Barmore I think will be a later 1st rd pick at best and a top 2nd rd at worse. I think the most important is getting the value out of that 10 spot, if we stay there are 2 top CB that can help this team. As for DT I think 2nd rd you will see some very good ones Daviyon Nixon, Jay Tufele, Tedarrell Slaton, Marvin Wilson
Exactly Farley is a wildcard who already had ACL surgery, sat out the season and is already 23. Surtain is good but can he be great. Trade down get two good players for the 10th pick.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
The Football Team needs a quarterback. They won’t get a top 4 quarterback at 19 with San Francisco and New England in front of them. We might be the only team they could trade with without give up an extra first round pick. We can pick up two starters with the 10th pick with the right trade.

I just did a thread earlier on all the potential trade down targets in need of a QB. There's a ton of potential options, so many I doubt there will be an issue to trade back.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/trade-back-thoughts.472105/

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So you trade down to get away from the best linebacker or corner in the draft? You trade down to get away from Farley or Surtain? That's getting too cute IMO. You could trade down and end up with two Taco Charlton's........

And most mocks I've seen have Wilson, Fields, Lance and Lawrence as top 10 picks....who's worth trading up after that?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Exactly Farley is a wildcard who already had ACL surgery, sat out the season and is already 23. Surtain is good but can he be great. Trade down get two good players for the 10th pick.

Not opposed to that option nor am I opposed to getting one of these CB. Surtain yes I think he can be great and I think having Diggs would make this secondary very good. I like our DE but we need help at DT and if we can get that in the 2nd than I would be very happy with the draft.