Twitter: Patrik Walker Updates on Tyrone Crawford

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Joneses obviously love him and their Boise State players.
I never hated Crawford, just his massive cap hit that wasn't quite justified by his production. If he drops it from $9.5M to about $5M, good price for a depth/rotational piece like him. Also should do better under Nolan since he'll bring more 3-4 looks.

According to MM, we'll be in the 4-3 about 85 percent of the time. Doesn't seem like reason enough to position him at DE. We'll see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to MM, we'll be in the 4-3 about 85 percent of the time. Doesn't seem like reason enough to position him at DE. We'll see.

It's also funny that some fans will try to convince themselves that $5 million is a 'good deal' for a 'backup/rotational piece'. Other teams are signing starters for less than that, but Cowboys fans think it's good business to pay that (and currently more) for a backup. Some people feel the need to convince themselves of anything when it comes to their favorite team.

quickccc

Reaction score
Disagree 100%........IF that was the case, Witten would still be here. Jerry even threw out a couple nuggets wanting to keep Jason and obviously he wanted to stay BUT MM had other plans. What Jason wanted and MM wanted is the reason he's now a Raider. Bottom line IMO, IF MM doesn't want Crawford on this team, he's gone, especially since his contract has no guaranteed money left. Crawford is still on the team NOT because of Jerry and Stephen but MM.

Odd considering McCarthy knows nothing about Crawford up front and personal, no more than he did with Witten,,as MM wasnt even here during the Witten days , so where is MM getting his background feedback from ? ... the scouts ?... his own coaches? ,,,current coaches ala Nussemeier ? ( who coached the TEs for Garrett) ..or management ?

Ditto with Sean Lee - MM didnt see him personally play here ..but Lee is yet returning for another season, ..so where is MM getting the feed back that we should bring
personal/loyalty favorites back ? the LB coaches were not here, nor the current DC, so they had to have some inside feed back from someone still on this organization.. imo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I mean for most of us we knew this.

1) They like him. Its clear.
2) He hasn't lived up to his contract. Pay cut
3) They believe he plays multiple positions on that line.

There is no doubt that he is a good run stuffer at the DE position. Him and Gregory actually give you the best of both worlds on all 3 downs. Cant fill all your holes in one year and this gives you ANOTHER year to evaluate Gregory and see if he can be your DE for the next 3 or 4 years. And if he will take a pay cut then this makes total sense to me. McCoy and Poe are big guys and older and will need a rotation. Popping Crawford in for one of them in a rotation on 3rd downs can also help.

I see it as a very good solution. If you cut Crawford and go out and sign a 30 year old DE for 9 million per year you lose flexibility and what do you do with Gregory?

Makes total sense. And we can focus the draft on CB and or BPA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Odd considering McCarthy knows nothing about Crawford up front and personal, no more than he did with Witten,,as MM wasnt even here during the Witten days , so where is MM getting his background feedback from ? ... the scouts ?... his own coaches? ,,,current coaches ala Nussemeier ? ( who coached the TEs for Garrett) ..or management ?

Ditto with Sean Lee - MM didnt see him personally play here ..but Lee is yet returning for another season, ..so where is MM getting the feed back that we should bring
personal/loyalty favorites back ? the LB coaches were not here, nor the current DC, so they had to have some inside feed back from someone still on this organization.. imo.

I think a key element not being considered is this:

The players who have left have been players not under contract.

Witten, Heath, Collins, Byron Jones etc, all of them were free agents. Crawford is still under contract. That's where this thing may change from a McCarthy decision to a Jones decision.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yall still think this guy is credible? :muttley:

Cowboys were so interested in Harrison, that they didnt even call!
:muttley:

No. I do not, lol.
He has built up a large following by simply posting a lot and mostly being a snake oil salesman patting himself on the back front and both sides for nonsense.
It is the way "new media" works but it isn't credible.

If Jane Slater doesn't say it I know it didn't come from the actual people that know.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TC is the DLine leader and the guy DLaw calls a mentor. He plays 3 of the 4 DL positions well.
He is a better RDE than Robert Quinn on all but long passing downs but the same people begging to pay Quinn are praying Crawford is cut.

Crawford's issue is health. Can he handle a larger workload? Recent health indicates no, he can't do that any longer.
He's abused his body to get through long seasons doing all the dirty work.
He doesn't appear to have that left in him.
So I'd like to see him take a pay cut and stay as a 5th or 6th DL.
BUT betting on him as a starter is fools gold.

IF there really was a change of heart for the team and TC on a pay cut I'd bet it is because the Raiders are sniffing around waiting on him to be cut.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Crawford seems to be well liked and a leader in the locker room. His contract doesn’t warrant his production. That’s a contract. Thought they were getting a bargain and banking on him being a pro bowler and all pro possibly. That didn’t happen clearly.
After they cut his pay he will make the pro bowl. :laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
hold on, I thought this was Big Mike's operation? that's what I was told by the masses. if Crawford is here, apparently he sees what the last regime saw.

so if Crawford decides to decline a pay cut insistence from management, Tyrone stays.. based off McCarthy " the big Mike operator " himself insisting Crawford to stay around ?Naaah, .. Don't believe the Hype ..

Even the legendary Big Tuna never had that kind of sheer power and authority - ( ala Terrell Owens addition) over the Jones management, and you can
be certain MM will NOT have THAT kind of authority and pull.
..what i aim to see if Crawford is actually allowed a repeat encore on his due cap dollars, even from the usual conservative Stephen Jones, in being allowed to
carry his 8-9 million back again into Cowboys 2020 roster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm hoping a guy like Jackson is able to fill that RDE position with more reps and development in TC. We might also secure another one in the draft with the wherewithal to fit in there capably, although, it might well take a year or so to work himself into that role. It's a valid need, without a doubt. Otherwise, a capable and experienced vet FA would help. Is the FO willing to take another step into that marketplace? We'll see. Sheard might be nice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
It's also funny that some fans will try to convince themselves that $5 million is a 'good deal' for a 'backup/rotational piece'. Other teams are signing starters for less than that, but Cowboys fans think it's good business to pay that (and currently more) for a backup. Some people feel the need to convince themselves of anything when it comes to their favorite team.

And some people need to convince themselves that the Cowboys’ FO is staffed by incompetent morons. Everyone else has a plan and pays real money. Except Dallas. THAT’S funny!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And some people need to convince themselves that the Cowboys’ FO is staffed by incompetent morons. Everyone else has a plan and pays real money. Except Dallas. THAT’S funny!

Those people have 25 years of evidence backing them up.

That's the "funniest" part.
:lmao:

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
He is not that bad as Cowboy fans make him out to be. Relax when healthy he is a steady player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping a guy like Jackson is able to fill that RDE position with more reps and development in TC. We might also secure another one in the draft with the wherewithal to fit in there capably, although, it might well take a year or so to work himself into that role. It's a valid need, without a doubt. Otherwise, a capable and experienced vet FA would help. Is the FO willing to take another step into that marketplace? We'll see. Sheard might be nice. :rolleyes:

I think Jackson is an overlooked option for the role. Certainly a better one than Crawford. Jackson had consistently good production at Miami with good numbers against both the run and the pass. And he certainly provides upside that you wouldn't get otherwise. I'm eager to see what Tomsula might be able to do with him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is not that bad as Cowboy fans make him out to be. Relax when healthy he is a steady player.

Once again, words strung together with no substance or stats behind it. Common in this conversation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

He's never healthy anymore. That's the real problem. I get it but its just the truth. Who would you rather have, Crawford with his salary or a guy like Derek Wolfe for say a mil more? To me it's a no brainer......

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
He's never healthy anymore. That's the real problem. I get it but its just the truth. Who would you rather have, Crawford with his salary or a guy like Derek Wolfe for say a mil more? To me it's a no brainer......

Yes his health is a problem I agree. Let's see if he can remain on the field now.