Patriots name Jerod Mayo new Head Coach

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That's exactly how it works...he's taking over a bad team, he has his opportunity. Kraft hired him, he gave him an opportunity, owner's don't like to be wrong. Again, he has his shot, now it's up to him. Coaches like bellybutton are effective when they are winning, but lose the lockerroom when they are not. Mayo could be a breath of fresh air.
Lots of good points there. He could infuse energy like Dan Campbell has.

Ken

Reaction score
Maybe he trades for Trey Lance and we get a high draft pick. :popcorn:
Someone most likely will....

I know he would be on my radar if I was a QB needy team and wasn't in position to grab one in the draft....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's exactly how it works...he's taking over a bad team, he has his opportunity. Kraft hired him, he gave him an opportunity, owner's don't like to be wrong. Again, he has his shot, now it's up to him. Coaches like bellybutton are effective when they are winning, but lose the lockerroom when they are not. Mayo could be a breath of fresh air.
It’s not up to him lol. He doesn’t coach defense or offense. He’s not in charge of personnel. He’s a dead man walking. Everyone knows it. It’s not a real opportunity. Coaching the Chargers is a real opportunity IMO

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not up to him lol. He doesn’t coach defense or offense. He’s not in charge of personnel. He’s a dead man walking. Everyone knows it. It’s not a real opportunity. Coaching the Chargers is a real opportunity IMO
Whatever....you don't get it...he's better off not having to do those things....he can focus on the entire team, hold his coaches accountable and control the lockerroom.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Whatever....you don't get it...he's better off not having to do those things....he can focus on the entire team, hold his coaches accountable and control the lockerroom.
Ok. I don’t get it. When he gets fired in 2 years like every other situation like him let’s do who doesn’t get it. I’ve seen this story before but ok. You got it.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Congrats to him, but that really feels like a long rebuild that ends in Mayo being the sacrificial lamb for the new guy to come in around 2026.
I can read the headlines now, " Mayo joins Flores' lawsuit..............."

joseephuss

Reaction score
He has only been a position coach for five years and now he is a HC?
Frankly very questionable move.
Vrabel was only position coach in the NFL for 3 years then served one single season as DC for Houston when they were last in the league for points allowed. He then was named Titans head coach and many are claiming he is a high caliber head coach. Who knows how this will turn out.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. I don’t get it. When he gets fired in 2 years like every other situation like him let’s do who doesn’t get it. I’ve seen this story before but ok. You got it.
That's not my point! My point is that he has his chance when most never get it. I hope he does well, because others have. Look at the Lions.

shabazz

Reaction score
I'm not sure he's going to be a breath of fresh air. Most coaches from the Belichick tree are clones that try to emulate Bill's style and its rarely worked.

If I was a Patriots fan, I'd rather have a new coach with fresh innovative ideas and philosophies.

It may work out but it just seems like a continuance of the tired old " Patriot Way"

shabazz

Reaction score
The HC is different but I'm not sure this is a new era

Mayo will just try to carry on with the same culture. "The Patriot Way"

Whether it succeeds or not remains to be seen
Just saw your post after posting mine....didn't mean to copy the same quote, "Patriot Way"

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure he's going to be a breath of fresh air. Most coaches from the Belichick tree are clones that try to emulate Bill's style and its rarely worked.

If I was a Patriots fan, I'd rather have a new coach with fresh innovative ideas and philosophies.

It may work out but it just seems like a continuance of the tired old " Patriot Way"
I agree with you, but he's there now and he has a chance to be his own man.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Very odd choice you you ask me, Vrabel has a successful track record, where Mayo will be a 1st time head coach.

Surfguy

Reaction score
Only 2 things happen with such a quick hire after the previous coach parts ways….premature head coach-itis or a stud.

I don’t see no hooves so you must be a premie, Mayonnaise!

If you don’t get the reference, then whatevers!