Reaction score
strickly as depth for a year, but he'll likely get a starting job somewhere

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davey999;5073223 said:
Would it hurt to bring him in for a look?

The guys is 36 and hasn't played since the 2011 season.

On top of that he doesn't like participating in mini-camps or training camp and he's not likely to sign for a vet's minimum.

Can you smell what I'm cookin?

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Waters wanted more money to play in New England. He outplayed the value of his contract. When he last played he was a pro bowl level right guard.

utrunner07

Reaction score
lol @ an alleged NFC title contender trying to plug together an offensive line from the washed-up, injured, cast aways of other teams. Yeah...this team is going real far this year...

NJ22

Reaction score
I think Frederick would benefit from playing with a vet like Waters or Moore that can actually play instead of the scraps we have at guard.

IAmLegend;5073154 said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Patriots terminated the contract of former Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, who was on Reserve/Did Not Report List.

"There also were reports he'd be willing to play for a team closer to his Texas home, but the Patriots never relinquished his rights."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165578/article/new-england-patriots-release-brian-waters

6-time Pro-Bowler is legit. He just turned 36, but could be 1-year stop gap if he's willing to play another season. Thoughts?

davey999

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5073209 said:
Waters didn't even play in 2012.

He held out the entire season.

If someone can't figure out why this wouldn't be a good move, I'm not going to bother explaining it.

MichaelWinicki;5073242 said:
The guys is 36 and hasn't played since the 2011 season.

On top of that he doesn't like participating in mini-camps or training camp and he's not likely to sign for a vet's minimum.

Can you smell what I'm cookin?

No. Offer him a chance to play in Dallas. If he doesn't want to, fine.

No good reason not to kick the tires.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5073242 said:
he doesn't like participating in mini-camps or training camp

That's in the NFL by-laws under "veteran's preference". :D

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I believe they chose Derrick Dockery over him for a very comparable price a couple years back.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

If someone can't figure out why this wouldn't be a good move, I'm not going to bother explaining it.

Because all the armchair GMs have no clue who Waters is, let alone even watched him play. Waters was instrumental in blocking for a lot of 1,000 yard rushers. And even now, with one foot in the grave, he is till better than Livings, Bernadeau and Arkin COMBINED.

NJ22

Reaction score
And that's why they are the Pats and we are 8-8!
Apollo Creed;5073319 said:
I believe they chose Derrick Dockery over him for a very comparable price a couple years back.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Kristen82;5073243 said:
Seems like there's some interesting possibly affordable vet FA G's available aside from Winters:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/guard/

e.g. Adam Snyder who only made $900,000 last year.

The Cardinals released Snyder and took a significant cap hit to do so because the guy atrocious last year, Kristen. This guy is bad, bad, bad. One O-line that was WAY worse than ours last year was the Cardinals and Snyder was a big part of that failure. I'd pass.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They need to find out what they have. I wouldn't rule out a vet FA before the season starts probably before preseason is over. But I think it less likely than going with who are the best 9-11 OL on the roster. If they cut Free then that bets off as they will likely get a vet OT to compete. My guess is Free takes an incentive laden contract for less money and competes here. I don't think they have written him off.

If you bring in someone off the street then you have one less roster spot for the younger guys. Not sure how I feel about that. I don't know enough about the unknowns or the FAs to have much of an opinion I guess.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

This. Stunned that this was even mentioned.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BAT;5073338 said:
And even now, with one foot in the grave, he is till better than Livings, Bernadeau and Arkin COMBINED.

And you know that how?

You're not talkinga about some 24 year-old kid who lost a season due to an injury.

You're talking about a soon to be 36 year-old who has done anything football related in almost a year and a half now.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
reddyuta;5073192 said:
Jerry dropped the ball when he became available,he could have solved so many of our problems at guard instead of having to sign scrubs like Livings and Bernie.

Yeah. About 2 years late on him.

RSM94

Reaction score
Waters made the Pro Bowl in 2011 (we should have signed him then as he was a free agent before the season) and wants to play in Tx. Did not play last year. It would be stupid not to talk to him and to consider a short term contract at the right price. He would be a huge upgrade over Bernie or Livings.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
RSM94;5073393 said:
Waters made the Pro Bowl in 2011 (we should have signed him then as he was a free agent before the season) and wants to play in Tx. Did not play last year. It would be stupid not to talk to him and to consider a short term contract at the right price. He would be a huge upgrade over Bernie or Livings.

And Jeff Saturday made this past season's Pro Bowl. He was benched by his own team for poor performance.

One cannot judge a offensive lineman by Pro Bowls.

RSM94

Reaction score
If you don't judge them by Pro Bowls, then how do you judge them? Waters is a very good guard and a huge upgrade over what the Boys have. If the price is low enough and the contract is 1 year, then do it. Have you forgotten Ray Donaldson? Back in 1995 after the Boys lost Stepnoski and Houck was able to coax Donaldson out of retirement. Boys won the Super Bowl that year and Donaldson went to the Pro Bowl.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
barrel_akkuza.jpg

There's sum good stuff down there...:D