Patriots Release 6 Time Pro-Bowl G Brian Waters

DenCWBY

Reaction score
cowboysooner;5073252 said:
Waters wanted more money to play in New England. He outplayed the value of his contract. When he last played he was a pro bowl level right guard.

What a concept. "Outplaying the value of your contract". That seems like a rare concept in DC camp. We usually pay the big $$ up front and await the player to perform. What's wrong with that picture?
Also since our front office made those decisions on Livings, Bernadeau and Free, those same "masterminds" have a harder time bringing in apparently better talent which may undermind their original decision. A lot of speculation on my behalf with that last statement but given their egos I wouldn't put it past them. I just wish we had one rational decision maker on the inside who has an unbiased perspective and the owners ear.

jrumann59

Reaction score
DenCWBY;5073822 said:
What a concept. "Outplaying the value of your contract". That seems like a rare concept in DC camp. We usually pay the big $$ up front and await the player to perform. What's wrong with that picture?
Also since our front office made those decisions on Livings, Bernadeau and Free, those same "masterminds" have a harder time bringing in apparently better talent which may undermind their original decision. A lot of speculation on my behalf with that last statement but given their egos I wouldn't put it past them. I just wish we had one rational decision maker on the inside who has an unbiased perspective and the owners ear.

Great he outplayed his contract. But it is dumb to holdout all season when you have fewer pay days coming and that the window on your career is closing fast. His stance on principle lost him money and may force him out of football.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
jrumann59;5074081 said:
Great he outplayed his contract. But it is dumb to holdout all season when you have fewer pay days coming and that the window on your career is closing fast. His stance on principle lost him money and may force him out of football.

I think you missed my point. I'm talking about our management falling in love with players and overpaying them for what they are really worth. Replacing them instead of providing long term contracts (before you know what you have). A concept that we need help with unlike the Pats and a few others out there who efficently manage their personnel and pocketbook so they're not strapped for FA $$ and stuck with dead, unproductive weight.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
jrumann59;5073792 said:
Ripe like a decomposing body?

Missing a year for any reason has a huge effect especially when you are "over the hill" in the sports sense. If he lost desire it is worse than having season ending injury, its hard to recalim desire. I will pass on Waters.

If he can perform at a pro bowl level when he's over the hill than give me more of those type of players. Age is relative people. Talent is not. Why waste time on less talented players because they are YOUNGER??? That is the worst way to run any kind of business. Production, not potential, should be the most important evaluation tool.

Not every 36 year old is the same. Not sure why a 26 year old never was is more valuable than a 36 year old multiple pro bowler, especially when the player is only ONE season removed from his last pro bowl.

And the John Hannah or fill in the blank aged HOFer is lame. Exaggeration as an argument is worthless.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Probably won't sign him do to the veteran's minimum salary being too high for the boys' salary cap issue.....

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Double Trouble;5073762 said:
Might as well. Numerous posters here have claimed that 36 is the new 26 now. I think Romo is like 14 under the new math.

That's the echo chamber at work. Someone says 30 isn't old for a linemen, and so 33 is acceptable for a veteran linemen, but then it gets stretched to 35 and 36...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
fairviewfarmer;5074543 said:
Probably won't sign him do to the veteran's minimum salary being too high for the boys' salary cap issue.....

Now this is the argument that makes the most sense.

jrumann59

Reaction score
BAT;5074535 said:
If he can perform at a pro bowl level when he's over the hill than give me more of those type of players. Age is relative people. Talent is not. Why waste time on less talented players because they are YOUNGER??? That is the worst way to run any kind of business. Production, not potential, should be the most important evaluation tool.

Not every 36 year old is the same. Not sure why a 26 year old never was is more valuable than a 36 year old multiple pro bowler, especially when the player is only ONE season removed from his last pro bowl.

And the John Hannah or fill in the blank aged HOFer is lame. Exaggeration as an argument is worthless.

He like many OLD lineman make pro bowls based on reputation. IIRC Flozell and Larry Allen made a few pro bowls based on reputation not what they did on the field. Using pro bowls to gauge an old OL worth is dumb, signing one that has been on sidelines for the last 1+ years is even dumber considering he was pouting.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
jrumann59;5074596 said:
He like many OLD lineman make pro bowls based on reputation. IIRC Flozell and Larry Allen made a few pro bowls based on reputation not what they did on the field. Using pro bowls to gauge an old OL worth is dumb, signing one that has been on sidelines for the last 1+ years is even dumber considering he was pouting.

Dumb is not watching a player and just spewing groupthink as your opinion. Waters played just as well as Mankins when he was in NE. There is a reason why Brady was hardly touched in 2011. His pocket was clean all the way to the SB.

jrumann59

Reaction score
BAT;5074784 said:
Dumb is not watching a player and just spewing groupthink as your opinion. Waters played just as well as Mankins when he was in NE. There is a reason why Brady was hardly touched in 2011. His pocket was clean all the way to the SB.

I watched him in 2012, he was sitting at home trying to prove a point.

That was 2011, he played zero downs last year, with age his ability to handle the games speed will take away from his ability. So we give him a contract on 2011 game tape because he probably will not take a vet min because he pouted about being under paid for his 2011 performance. This team does not need entitled over the hill veteran players.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
jrumann59;5075151 said:
I watched him in 2012, he was sitting at home trying to prove a point.

That was 2011, he played zero downs last year, with age his ability to handle the games speed will take away from his ability. So we give him a contract on 2011 game tape because he probably will not take a vet min because he pouted about being under paid for his 2011 performance. This team does not need entitled over the hill veteran players.

The guy is 36 has played a very long NFL career and has plenty of money. Why should he go play halfway across the country to play at a huge discount to his performance level? The guy wants to live with his wife and kids.

If he can play as well as he did in 2011 he would be our best lineman by far. The guy played every bit as well as Mankins. I don't see how anyone can be at all critical of of Waters in this situation. The money is not worth it to him so somebody else gets a shot. No big deal.

jrumann59

Reaction score
cowboysooner;5075166 said:
The guy is 36 has played a very long NFL career and has plenty of money. Why should he go play halfway across the country to play at a huge discount to his performance level? The guy wants to live with his wife and kids.

If he can play as well as he did in 2011 he would be our best lineman by far. The guy played every bit as well as Mankins. I don't see how anyone can be at all critical of of Waters in this situation. The money is not worth it to him so somebody else gets a shot. No big deal.

If he played as well as Mankins did last year I would be OK with kicking the tires. He wa under contract with the Pats and proceeded to pout about the contract and basically held out for the whole season. He is not 26 he is 36 a year away from the game at 36 is a long time. Again this team has gone down the road of bringing in entitled vets that do not give their all so they can ride off into the sunset with a pay day. Him sitting out last year proves he is in it for the paycheck and that his heart is not into it.