Patriots release defensive end Kony Ealy

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
There was talk that this was gonna happen. I saw Broaddus tweet about it. Maybe should have called them and offered a late pick just to secure his services, but maybe his contract is too much to consider trading for.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
No. Seems to me this is a measure of talent, not just a salary cap move. In other news, Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly and Randy White are free to be signed as well.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It literally costs almost nothing to bring him in

We need DEs........ just because he isn't Rob Nichovich doesn't mean he can't play in DAL

joseephuss

Reaction score
No. Seems to me this is a measure of talent, not just a salary cap move. In other news, Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly and Randy White are free to be signed as well.

A measure of talent for the Patriots system, but perhaps not for the Cowboys system. Dallas doesn't need to name him a starter or even guarantee him a spot on the roster, but trying him out over the next week(if he clears waivers first) wouldn't be the worst move.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I doubt he makes it through the waiver wire (unless injured). I bet someone snatches him up before us. It's difficult to find young pass rushers.

And you are the gold star winner for the day. Claiming Ealy is a no brainer. He has more sacks in his three year career than Demarcus Lawrence as well as Tyrone Crawford and Benson Mayowa. He clearly is better than everyone we will be trotting out week 1-4. Maybe David Irving is better, maybe Taco ends up better, maybe DLawrence recaptures his 2015 mojo, I don't know, but Ealy would help. However, there is very little chance he goes unclaimed in the waiver wire.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
There was talk that this was gonna happen. I saw Broaddus tweet about it. Maybe should have called them and offered a late pick just to secure his services, but maybe his contract is too much to consider trading for.

Yea, I don't think Ealy will get to Dallas. They aren't the only team desperate for a pass rush that's willing to take a flyer.

jrumann59

Reaction score
IF he makes it through waivers I do not see the harm. I would risk it on talent that has played multiple seasons in the NFL than an older guy that may have been sitting on his couch for 3 years of his prime

Cas2800

Reaction score
Patriots traded a second and third round pick for the guy. Should the Cowboys pick him up?

"That didn't take long. Less than six months after the Patriots gave the Panthers a second-round pick in exchange for pass rusher Kony Ealy and a third-rounder, Ealy is looking for work.

The Patriots announced Saturday that they've released Ealy, who NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports struggled to fit into their defensive scheme......."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ing-for-him-in-the-offseason/?linkId=41462390

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
We go 6 deep at DE.

Irving, Lawrence, Crawford, Mayowa, Charlton, Moore.

Even with two suspensions I don't see a place for him

chagus

Reaction score
I'd bring him in if possible. I did want Dallas to draft him.