Patriots trade for Muhammad Sanu

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
With a welcoming gesture, Brady told Sanu if he wanted #12 it was his. Risky move.

Ghost12

Reaction score
With a welcoming gesture, Brady told Sanu if he wanted #12 it was his. Risky move.
Either Brady was joking when he said it or Sanu was joking when he told the story. Even if we set aside the whole multi-million dollar "TB12" brand, you're not allowed to switch uniform numbers in the middle of the season unless you've been cut or traded. Brady couldn't give up 12 even if he genuinely wanted to.

Flamma

Reaction score
Though if the reason for the Pats' success is Belicheat, then they'd just sign or draft a rookie quarterback in the first or second round next year, then they'd be back in the SB again in a couple of years...

The main reason is Belichick. But we can't ignore the fact he has an elite QB. It's the perfect storm.

Flamma

Reaction score
There is no way to tell if it was mostly Brady, or mostly Belicheat

I'd say you can tell it's mostly Belichick. How many other quarterbacks have gone to 9 super bowls in 18 years? Other elite quarterbacks aren't having this success. Not even close. I'd say the biggest difference maker is the coach and the entire team's system. Switch out Brady for any other elite QB and I believe they have the same or similar success on the Patriots. Brady isn't ten times better than other elite QBs.

Ghost12

Reaction score
I'd say you can tell it's mostly Belichick. How many other quarterbacks have gone to 9 super bowls in 18 years? Other elite quarterbacks aren't having this success. Not even close. I'd say the biggest difference maker is the coach and the entire team's system. Switch out Brady for any other elite QB and I believe they have the same or similar success on the Patriots. Brady isn't ten times better than other elite QBs.
Belichick without Brady is a career 8 games below .500 with all of 1 playoff victory in 7 years. With Brady, he's a "genius". Without Brady, not so much.

Flamma

Reaction score
Belichick without Brady is a career 8 games below .500 with all of 1 playoff victory in 7 years. With Brady, he's a "genius". Without Brady, not so much.

Remember, I said switch Brady out with any other elite QB, not just any QB. So the elite part can't be overlooked I agree.

Techsass

Reaction score
Cowboys trade a 2nd round pick for a 30 year old WR and we would get hammered. Patriots do it and it's the greatest move this decade. You guys and the media make me sick. Not all of you. You know who you are.....
The Pats make some bad trades, but they always seem to recover quickly from them. On the other hand they also cash in on a lot of 1 & 2 year rentals.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3ehqhd.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

That's when he was at Cleveland, one of the black hole teams in the NFL. Nobody wins much at Cleveland. But even there he had an 11-5 season, with Vinny Testaverde and Mark Rypien, neither of which was ever an elite quarterback, Rypien did win a SB with the Commanders but with running backs that cumulatively got over 2,000 yards, and receivers like Art Monk, Gary Clark, etc. he had tons of weapons, as well as the "Hogs", and Joe Gibbs as the coach. Rypien never did much before or after that SB season.

Really I think it's a "perfect storm" situation, you can't run a precision offense without a precision quarterback, have to be able to execute the plays. And even a super accurate quarterback needs open receivers, who have good plays to run. Add to that Brady's durability, the weak division schedules so many years and of course a good dose of luck you get what you get.

Just think what the 70's and early 80's Cowboys could have done if Roger hadn't had to retire early, and of course not having to wait 4 years to get to the NFL, could have equaled Brady and Belichick's record. But that didn't happen...