PATs changed but not significantly IMO

windjc

Reaction score
At first I liked this idea, thinking it would make the game more exciting.

Now, I have doubts. I fear the game will come down more to things like how good your kicker is, or how good your 4th and 2 offense or defense is. These are 2 VERY niche areas of the game that may now be more important than they should be.

Even more reason to try and get a big lead and keep it, to avoid silly losses due to specific human error in a niche area.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I am still waiting for the league to discuss the reduction of commercials which would make the games more entertaining and watchable for me.

What I don't like is the commercial after a kickoff. It is much worse than the extra point to me. Extra point/FG, 3-4 minute commercial break. Kickoff for a touchback, another 3-4 minute commercial break. It's 10 minutes after an exciting scoring play followed by a 10 minute buzz kill. Just cut out the commercial after kickoffs and I'm happy.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Now will be a 33 yard FG. I don't think it will that big a deal. 2-point conversions will stay at the 2. Would have been more entertaining to go to the 1 since the Dallas OL could have pushed its way through.

Dang, Just my luck. Now I have to wait to go to the Men's room AFTER the PAT.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Now, I have doubts. I fear the game will come down more to things like how good your kicker is, or how good your 4th and 2 offense or defense is. These are 2 VERY niche areas of the game that may now be more important than they should be.

Even more reason to try and get a big lead and keep it, to avoid silly losses due to specific human error in a niche area.

Huh? This has always been a game of inches. Kickers have played a huge role since at least the late 70's.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I am still waiting for the league to discuss the reduction of commercials which would make the games more entertaining and watchable for me.

You might want to try following the game thread in here because Zoners never run out of things to say during the commercials.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Bailey was 6/7 last year, or 86% from 30-39 yards. The 2 point conversion percentage is 50%. I'm too stupid to do the math, but it is pretty close.

The expected points for the new PAT would be .916
The expected points for the 2pt PAT would be .948

The expected points for the old PAT was .996

So it would actually be smarter to go for two(without factoring in fumbles or INTs returned for 2 pts)

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If they are gonna put more emphasis on kickers.....

Why not make FGs 30-39yrds worth 3 pts...

FGs 40-49 worth 4pts

FGs 50-59.....worth 5pts

FGs 60-69....worth 6pts

FGs 70+.....worth 7pts

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I've seen guys miss 30+ yarders all the time. Happens every week in football. Plus its a lot easier to block a 33 yarder than it is a 19 yarder. Should make the extra point worth watching now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

We have one of the best young kickers in the game. We benefit from the rules change. Our short yardage running game also bodes well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If they are gonna put more emphasis on kickers.....

Why not make FGs 30-39yrds worth 3 pts...

FGs 40-49 worth 4pts

FGs 50-59.....worth 5pts

FGs 60-69....worth 6pts

FGs 70+.....worth 7pts

That's completely changing the game IMO. I could see 3 points for a 50 yarder. But having a kick worth a whole touchdown?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have one of the best young kickers in the game. We benefit from the rules change. Our short yardage running game also bodes well.

I won't knock Bailey.....but for some reason I feel less confident in him now than I did prior to last season. Seems like he missed a few kicks towards the end of the season that he should make.

Craig

Reaction score
Pretty significant. This should result in missed xps every week.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I won't knock Bailey.....but for some reason I feel less confident in him now than I did prior to last season. Seems like he missed a few kicks towards the end of the season that he should make.

He didn't perform as well but he got blocked twice mitigating that more than a little. That is on his blocking. That LB from SEA got canned for the one whiff.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think the 2 point conversion is close to being the mathematically correct decision now.

You need to convert between 47 and 48 percent of the time. Doubtful it's the correct decision.

Now bad weather games make it ore interesting. Heavy wind? Rain? Snow? Go for two.

Normal conditions? Kick it.