PATs changed but not significantly IMO

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I don't like the NFL messing with the game. That's a slippery slope. Just take the XP out. I don't want to lose because a kicker misses a long XP bc it's raining or something stupid like that.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the 15 yd. line rule......but I am so happy that the defense can now return a fumble, int., or blocked PAT for 2 pts.....I have been wanting this rule change for many years. So that takes care of one of my 3 desired rule changes. I am still waiting on the 60-man roster and 4-point 60+ yd. FG.

How often does this happen to make a difference?

erod

Reaction score
This could provide some subtle control on end zone celebrations, too.

An unsportsmanlike penalty can now turn the extra point into a 47-yard try.

erod

Reaction score
I don't like the NFL messing with the game. That's a slippery slope. Just take the XP out. I don't want to lose because a kicker misses a long XP bc it's raining or something stupid like that.

Wind direction is even more prominent now.

And there will be more injuries now that the defense can score, too. They'll be coming hard with little to lose, even if they rough the kicker.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Return possiblitlies off 2-point conversions/PAT

zero in the NFL previously. Quite a bit in HS. more often than you realize in college. There have been chances in the NFL in the past if the rule had been there.

links18

Reaction score
Wind direction is even more prominent now.

And there will be more injuries now that the defense can score, too. They'll be coming hard with little to lose, even if they rough the kicker.

Right, the defense has no incentive not to try to return it whenever they have the opportunity. They'll likely drop a player back in the end zone as a returner in case any kick falls short for whatever reason.....

links18

Reaction score

You don't like the NFL messing with the game, but you want to get rid of the extra point?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Read this from MMQB:

And I’m told the owners could change the system again in 2016. One of the significant and salient points made during Tuesday’s vote was this: The measure passed for one season only. That means teams wanted a change to what’s become a gimme—99.5 percent of all PAT kicks have been made in the past four seasons—but wanted to see how the new system worked before doing something revolutionary. The league wants to promote exciting plays after touchdown; just 59 two-point plays were attempted in 2014. If the new extra point doesn’t motivate coaches to go for two more, look for the owners next offseason to vote to push the PAT back eight or 10 yards further so some drama is created in the touchdown conversion.

I hope this happens.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I'm not in love with the direction this is going. Essentially, a TD is now 7 points and a FG is 3 points, and there is an opportunity to go for 2 on a TD conversion, usually to catch up when behind. If they move the PAT back until kickers start missing it, TDs will no longer be generally worth 7 points and that will change the game.

It seems to me if they must change this, maybe just doing away with the kick, moving the ball to the one, and running a real play for the PAT would inject excitement in the game and the whole offense would have to execute for the PAT to be successful. Just move the ball further away from the goal line for the 2 point conversion.

Last edited: