Twitter: Pats make calls about trade up for Fields?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
I personally would draft Fields if he is there at #10.

I think the defense will be fine this year with the FA additions and adding some defensive players in rounds 2-7.

I don’t think adding one defensive player at #10 in this draft will change the defense that much.

Drafting Fields provides a backup right away and pushes Dak to play his best. Can always trade Fields at a later date if not needed. I am not sold on Dak being able to lead the team to the SB just because he got paid.

Jimmy brought Walsh in. Even said he would go to the airport to pick him up. Psyops at its best.
You don’t draft a generational qb like fields to let him sit. Although we should’ve got the kid if he’s available at 10 and never resigned Dak but hindsight is 20/20

phildadon86

Reaction score
I want to know what medical doctors think about these concussions moving forward because the position he plays shouldn’t take a ton of head shots anyways.
Its football dude. Head shots happen. You cant be serious.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
If that guy was Trey Lance, I do it. I like that kid a lot! I mean, really like him.
Trey Lance is Dwayne Haskins 2.0 big arm and on the bigger side for a qb but not really dynamic. Teams are going to make a big mistake drafting this kid. Almost as big a mistake as Mac Jones.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If that guy was Trey Lance, I do it. I like that kid a lot! I mean, really like him.

I got a feeling that Shannahan see's him as a Pat Mahomes type.

Let Jimmy G play this year.. Get Lance ready for 2022.

I just can't see Mac Jones going 3rd. I like Mac Jones but I got him as QB 5.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Trey Lance is Dwayne Haskins 2.0 big arm and on the bigger side for a qb but not really dynamic. Teams are going to make a big mistake drafting this kid. Almost as big a mistake as Mac Jones.

Yeah, not with you, at all, on that one. Haskins and Lance are two entirely different players. Lance, IMO, is a younger, stronger, smarter version of Dak, with a better arm.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Yes
If theyre willing to part with their 2nd, then for sure the make that offer to Detroit at 7

there is no chance we would get 15 and 46 for 10.
But maybe if we threw in a later pick or two
Maybe if you swapped thirds?

quickccc

Reaction score
Right, but im looking at the idea of not being able to afford to put so much into one position....one where even the great ones give up their share of yardage.

The expanded cap is all relative, and all teams get it. It will not allow Dallas an advantage over anyone else.

The idea of spreading cap dollars around at least semi evenly is something I hope the team is in favor of by SOP.

I'm talking about using two premium picks (by a team that uses ONLY the draft to acquire premium talent) on the same position in consecutive years.

You either ignore the idea of spreading cap dollars evenly or know you'll lose one of the two to a second contract.

Actually it should give us the advantage whereas it's from your own ability to well manage the cap structure. Some teams simply dunno how to do so.
Or they are careless and wreckless that they seem to want to worry about that until they cross to the bridge.

- Some times these are the teams that want to spend spree in free agency, and down the road, they have to end up making trade moves or cap casualty key players to have
an effortful chance at getting back under the cap red flag.

- The big key is identifying who your core players are, the ones the Cowboys consider cornerstones for year to come,, not committing big contract money to these average joes
like Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Barry Church, etc. ..while making a hard decisions on players who they do not want to consider core cornerstones and well outta their
market value. Ala Byron Jones, Robert Quinn ..

- Doesn't mean that they goof it up with an occasional " WTH " type decision such as Brandon Carr, Crawford, Anthony Brown or Jourdan Lewis.
and you know Jaylon's name has to be thrown in there.

- What's the use in drafting players in the 1st and 2nd rounds to be expected, eventual pro bowlers and perennial players if we are gonna be so petrified and paranoid
about not being able to re-sign to lucrative contracts ?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Eagles will be trading up to draft before we do.

quickccc

Reaction score
Right, but im looking at the idea of not being able to afford to put so much into one position....one where even the great ones give up their share of yardage.

The expanded cap is all relative, and all teams get it. It will not allow Dallas an advantage over anyone else.

The idea of spreading cap dollars around at least semi evenly is something I hope the team is in favor of by SOP.

I'm talking about using two premium picks (by a team that uses ONLY the draft to acquire premium talent) on the same position in consecutive years.

You either ignore the idea of spreading cap dollars evenly or know you'll lose one of the two to a second contract.

-i'll lose them to second contracts if they become Conner Williams, or Malik Collins, or Chido Awuzie .. Just decent/serviceable guys that come to prove they won't
take it to another level. - they are simply what they are. .
Realistic we have to know not every one of our high pick guys (rounds 1 to 3) won't pan out as we thought. But that also doesn't mean we should not try to
gather guys that we think could become eventual pro bowlers.

- and we cannot have complete busts such as Gavin Escobar's and Taco Charlton's - guys that flat cannot play.
Not big league players at all, common JAGs, and are danger of not being in the NFL anymore, ..or already out of the NFL

- Me per say, I don't see what's wrong with having a chance for 2 young bookend productive CBs for years to come,
it would be a rarity find, because heck, top notch CBs are not that easy to find anyway.
and the NFL draft is gonna continue to be a gambling crap shoot, but some teams won't mind chancing very young bookend CBs ,,while other NFL teams/coaches
may prefer some veteran presence over 1 and 2 year starting CBs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well, they have the last 15 years.....outside of the top 3 picks
Even for Mahomes...at 10
Don't shoot the messenger

and, btw, thats fine if Dallas just stays put. Takes two to trade and if they want WAY over mkt value it basically means they are staying put.

NE can just make that same offer to Detroit or Carolina. They know Dallas isnt taking a QB
Right on all accounts there.
The draft didn't show Mahomes to be the pick at 10. He was being mocked much lower.
KC won that by doing their homework and of course won the trade by a million miles.

NE absolutely IS calling CAR/DEN/DAL et al.
They will try to see how high they have to go to get Fields and what it would cost.

And that's the issue. If CAR takes the deal the value of pick 8 is 100 points more but for NE it;s for the same player.
So why would they really care? They don't. Would KC have paid a little more to take PM5? Almost certainly.

To me I think the top 4 QBs are all R1 worthy guys. Fields might nee dot sit a year like PM5 did but he'll blossom with his natural gifts and easily start long term imho.

After those 4 to me you are looking at low level/short-term starters at best.
So I'd put a premium on the value of any trade up while any of the 4 are on the board.

Also have to factor in people consider there are 5-6 non QBs that are R1+ draft grades.
So with those QBs you hit the wall at 10 where you start taking a bit more risk.

Would I rather have CB1 or CB3 and LB4?
To me that's not hard to say CB1. I have the picks to go get LB4/5/6 anyway.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
If the Pats want us to pass on Surtain ( a guy we supposedly definitley want) so they can get the guy THEY want thyen its not about the draft value board numbers. They are gonna have to sweeten the pot substantially or we say F off. I suspect they will want Lance of Jones / Fields , whoever might fall. We could get a nice return if we play it right. " IF"

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Pats can make that offer to the Giants easily, if we dont accept, They know we aren't taking a QB, and The Giants have been on record for wanting to trade down,

Flamma

Reaction score
Bingo

I keep trying to tell people.
I reviewed every trade for a decade
Never say never, I guess, but I feel 99% sure we would not get 15 and 46 for 10 straight up.

We Cowboy fans for some reason always seem to think we can get deals that no other team can....and in this case, that Jerry is going to fleece Belichick.
Would be nice though!

That would be overpaying by a lot. Besides, they wouldn't give Dallas a 2nd before asking Detroit, Carolina, and Denver first. Only then can they make folls of themselves by trading us their 2nd rounder to move up 5 spots. But yeah, never say never. Remember the Saints psychosis in the Ricky Williams trade?

I've only been following the trade up and down scenarios since around 2017. I haven't noticed any team go way off the rails from that chart. The one thing I don't know is how they value future picks. Lets say next year's first rounder. Is it equal to the last pick of the round? Or somewhere in the middle?

DFWJC

Reaction score
That would be overpaying by a lot. Besides, they wouldn't give Dallas a 2nd before asking Detroit, Carolina, and Denver first. Only then can they make folls of themselves by trading us their 2nd rounder to move up 5 spots. But yeah, never say never. Remember the Saints psychosis in the Ricky Williams trade?

I've only been following the trade up and down scenarios since around 2017. I haven't noticed any team go way off the rails from that chart. The one thing I don't know is how they value future picks. Lets say next year's first rounder. Is it equal to the last pick of the round? Or somewhere in the middle?
You get it:flagwave:

As for future picks, in trades, they tend to devalue/depreciate them by a little less than one round each year forward.
So a 2022 1st gets valued, normally, at about pick 41-44 range in 2021 draft.
And amazingly, a 2023 1st rounder only gets valued at about pick 72-75 range.

seems harsh, buts that how it works out.

Flamma

Reaction score
You get it:flagwave:

As for future picks, in trades, they tend to devalue/depreciate them by a little less than one round each year forward.
So a 2022 1st gets valued, normally, at about pick 41-44 range in 2021 draft.
And amazingly, a 2023 1st rounder only gets valued at about pick 72-75 range.

seems harsh, buts that how it works out.

Ok, that would make sense the way they throw them around. Harsh indeed.