Twitter: Pats make calls about trade up for Fields?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
True, I have not been impressed with Fields to me he just seems to streaky in his play

I like Fields and think you can win with him. Especially if you're a coordinator who is good at micromanaging a game and you bring in a guy like this who can run and hit the deep ball.

He's my QB 4 and one of the strangest QB's I can remember watching because if he is phenomenal I won't be surprised and if he's out of the league in 4 years I won't be surprised.

I can't help but to see Dak with more athleticism. Mechanics and everything are so similar.

Scotman

Reaction score
If you just signed your QB to a massive contract, you should always turn right a round and draft another QB with one of your top picks. /s

Verdict

Reaction score
If Washinton trades up, yes, we would get a 2nd
If Chicago trades up, we’d get that and more

not New England.

You are talking about variation from the charts. I know you are not speaking entirely in absolutes. But truth be told no one really knows if the Patriots would give up their second round pick to trade with us.

I think it’s possible. It really depends on what they think of the player they would be moving up for.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
you have zero evidence that Fields is/will be better than Dak. None whatsoever. I'd wager he's just as likely to be a bust as he is a pro bowl level QB. Regardless, he could be the next big thing in the league, but you don't draft him when you've got what you view as your franchise QB for the foreseeable future. Disagree all you want, but the Cowboys are all in on Dak and there is no chance they draft a QB in the first round when they have significantly bigger needs elsewhere.

I have no ‘evidence’ since there is none to be found. He hasn’t played a down yet. Everything is conjecture, hunches, and opinions.

Yes, the Cowboys are all in with Dak. I am not comfortable with that. I know the Cowboys are not going to draft Fields at #10 even if he were there.

Yes, the Cowboys have significant needs elsewhere. An injury to Dak, a setback in his recovery, or Dak just being average and there will be no bigger need than QB. If it were me as GM, I would take Fields at #10 and go defense with the other picks.

I am the type who does not like to have too many eggs in one basket.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I have no ‘evidence’ since there is none to be found. He hasn’t played a down yet. Everything is conjecture, hunches, and opinions.

Yes, the Cowboys are all in with Dak. I am not comfortable with that. I know the Cowboys are not going to draft Fields at #10 even if he were there.

Yes, the Cowboys have significant needs elsewhere. An injury to Dak, a setback in his recovery, or Dak just being average and there will be no bigger need than QB. If it were me as GM, I would take Fields at #10 and go defense with the other picks.

I am the type who does not like to have too many eggs in one basket.
So you think the Chiefs should draft a QB round 1 as well? How about Seattle? Maybe Indy should even though they just traded for Wentz and his contract. Buccaneers should as well because Tom is old. Right? They won't because it would be a terrible use of resources. GB was universally slammed for picking Jordan Love last year. Yes, they might trade him, but don't you think they would have been better served picking a player last year that would have contributed? Maybe a player that actually saw the field could have helped get by TB and gotten them to a SB last year.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So you think the Chiefs should draft a QB round 1 as well? How about Seattle? Maybe Indy should even though they just traded for Wentz and his contract. Buccaneers should as well because Tom is old. Right? They won't because it would be a terrible use of resources. GB was universally slammed for picking Jordan Love last year. Yes, they might trade him, but don't you think they would have been better served picking a player last year that would have contributed? Maybe a player that actually saw the field could have helped get by TB and gotten them to a SB last year.

The Chiefs don’t have a question mark or doubt at QB. So, no for them.

Indy should. Wentz is a question mark both in talent and injury. And Wentz only has maybe two or three years left on his contract.

Bucs definitely should because Brady is 43.

GB has a plan to move on from Rodgers. Now they have the piece in play to do so if they like. And they have a good insurance plan in case Rodgers gets hurt.

Yes, paying for insurance and building redundancy into an item is not the best use of resources ... until something catastrophic happens and you actually need them. Then you are very happy you did it. Or you wish you did.

Yes, GB may have won the SB if they would have drafted someone different than a backup QB. Win some, lose some.

CWR

Reaction score
We need to hope Mac Jones goes at 3. If that happens it will get real interesting as far as having up to all 5 qbs go before us. Or we hope one is sitting there at 10 so we can pull a trade down. If Fields dropped we'd be looking at a nice return.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Chiefs don’t have a question mark or doubt at QB. So, no for them.

Indy should. Wentz is a question mark both in talent and injury. And Wentz only has maybe two or three years left on his contract.

Bucs definitely should because Brady is 43.

GB has a plan to move on from Rodgers. Now they have the piece in play to do so if they like. And they have a good insurance plan in case Rodgers gets hurt.

Yes, paying for insurance and building redundancy into an item is not the best use of resources ... until something catastrophic happens and you actually need them. Then you are very happy you did it. Or you wish you did.

Yes, GB may have won the SB if they would have drafted someone different than a backup QB. Win some, lose some.
No question that Mahomes is locked in as the Chiefs QB long term. But he (and really any player) is one hit away from never playing again. So if you think that Dallas needs to spend a high first round pick on a QB because Dak may get reinjured, then logically, you should feel the same way about any other QB in the league, even Mahomes, who has been dinged up and will continue to get injured if they don't fix their OL. These days you can't really afford to draft a QB in the first and sit him more than a year.

GB spent a first round pick on Love, and I see no way a team will give up a first to trade for him when there are QB's coming out every year. Love probably isn't getting traded this off season, so he would have 2 years left on his rookie deal (plus a 5th year option). Why trade for him when he is an unknown commodity at this point. You can just draft a rookie and control him for 5 years. It was a waste of a pick for GB unless Rogers calls it quits after the upcoming season. But it makes more sense to use a bottom of the first round pick on a QB when you have an aging franchise QB. Dallas has a franchise QB (whether you like it or not) that should be entering his prime years. Don't waste the #10 pick on a QB.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No question that Mahomes is locked in as the Chiefs QB long term. But he (and really any player) is one hit away from never playing again. So if you think that Dallas needs to spend a high first round pick on a QB because Dak may get reinjured, then logically, you should feel the same way about any other QB in the league, even Mahomes, who has been dinged up and will continue to get injured if they don't fix their OL. These days you can't really afford to draft a QB in the first and sit him more than a year.

GB spent a first round pick on Love, and I see no way a team will give up a first to trade for him when there are QB's coming out every year. Love probably isn't getting traded this off season, so he would have 2 years left on his rookie deal (plus a 5th year option). Why trade for him when he is an unknown commodity at this point. You can just draft a rookie and control him for 5 years. It was a waste of a pick for GB unless Rogers calls it quits after the upcoming season. But it makes more sense to use a bottom of the first round pick on a QB when you have an aging franchise QB. Dallas has a franchise QB (whether you like it or not) that should be entering his prime years. Don't waste the #10 pick on a QB.

The success of your plan with Dak is based on numerous assumptions.
1) Dak is a franchise QB and can carry the team to the SB.
2) Dak fully recovers from injury before the season starts and does not play scared.
3) Dak can succeed as a pocket passer who will run less. The Cowboys have already said he will not be on the run much. Mobile QBs cause problems for defenses.

We shall soon see about these assumptions. Hopefully, everything works out as assumed. Because if it doesn’t, there is no chance for success the next 4 years.

Verdict

Reaction score
If I were the Chiefs and I thought a QB was BPA when I was on the clock a QB would be the pick. I know some will scoff at that, but what if Mahomes ends up retiring early due to concussions, or a snapped femur, or due to an undiagnosed heart condition? What if his wife shoots him for bangin a stripper?

Need, or lack thereof, is a very poor factor to consider in who you draft.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really am starting to think you want this team to fail. Phillips is a concussion away from retirement. Do you listen to yourself before you speak or do you just have a knack for making no sense.
I think this is a condition had by WAY more people than just catch.

People just make up bullcrap because that is what they want to believe. Example? "Jerry doesn't want to win"...meanwhile....they also THEN claim he just "wants the spotlight, attention, big stage, revenue, adoration".

And there isn't any greater than a Super Bowl. Winning is the very best way...to get what they CLAIM Jerry wants. Is he doing well at average? Yes...obviously. Winning is how he got HERE.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
I like Fields and think you can win with him. Especially if you're a coordinator who is good at micromanaging a game and you bring in a guy like this who can run and hit the deep ball.

He's my QB 4 and one of the strangest QB's I can remember watching because if he is phenomenal I won't be surprised and if he's out of the league in 4 years I won't be surprised.

I can't help but to see Dak with more athleticism. Mechanics and everything are so similar.
Fields is the best quarterback in the draft. He is Mahomes, Steve Young, and Dak Prescott in one. This is deshaun watson all over again. Lawrence second but his ceiling is a less accurate Phillip rivers.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If I were the Chiefs and I thought a QB was BPA when I was on the clock a QB would be the pick. I know some will scoff at that, but what if Mahomes ends up retiring early due to concussions, or a snapped femur, or due to an undiagnosed heart condition? What if his wife shoots him for bangin a stripper?

Need, or lack thereof, is a very poor factor to consider in who you draft.

I get your logic, but in my opinion, when you are paying a franchise QB you need to look for backups in the later rounds, not spend premium picks on a player who most likely isn't going to see the field.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
If we can get the Pats' 2nd rounder by dropping 5 spots to #15 and still get Horn, that's a no brainer.
No a second rounder to drop five spots just won't do it. we need a first if that means we have to give them a third or something else this year or next year so be it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
#10 isn’t high enough for the Pats to get Fields.

If they want him, they’d trade to #7 or #8 and be certain to get their guy.

only way I see them trading with us is if Detroit and Carolina refuse to deal with them *and* Fields is still sitting there at #10.

Bears are looking to move up and make a WB splash but they don’t have as good an offering as New England so NE might not be worried about the Bears leapfrogging them from #20

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Historically great.

He’s a giant Steve young.

No, he's not. He's not even close to what Steve Young was coming out of BYU. Steve Young played for Lavel Edwards and a guy named Norm Chow. They didn't run an RPO HS Offense. They ran more of a 5 and 7 step drop back vertical passing game with emphasis on the "8 zones" aspects of the field. Now, you can look up the 8 zones if you wish, that's something that Chow believed in, which came from his years at BYU and Utah I believe but it doesn't really matter. Basically, rollouts to buy time but not really RPO. More WC concepts. The bottom line is that Steve Young learned how to read defenses and was very good at it. He knew how to run a Pro Style drop back passing Offense. Fields, he's not that guy.

Fields, to me, is more Cam Newton then Steve Young. I don't question his athletic ability, at all. I just watch him play and I see a two read QB. He's not a guy who can drop back and survey the field and get to his 3rd or 4th or 5th read consistently. Some will say that this is a product of the Offense and that's fine, maybe it is, but still, I don't see it in his game and I am not spending a high pick on a guy who has never shown the ability to actually run a Pro Style Offense. This guy is not Steve Young, he won't audible out into different sets, read the defense and call a play from the line that gets you 6, he's not that guy. Steve Young, out of BYU, was that guy. He just got that crap kicked out of him in Tampa and so it wasn't till years later that you were able to see it.

DRella

Reaction score
There is a real possibility that Fields is there for the taking with this Bridgewater deal that Denver just made. Carolina invested in Darnold, and Denver now has Lock and Bridgewater. I would be very surprised if either of those teams take a QB. If we eliminate these 2 teams from top 10 that leaves 8 picks for 5 QBs to be selected. Eliminate the Cowboys (Dak), Cincy (Borrows), Det (Goff) for sure and that brings it to 5 remaining picks.

Does SF draft a QB with Garrapulo there and his contract?

Does ATL draft one with Ryan there on a big deal?

Does MIA draft one with Tua there?

Of these 3 I think MIA bypasses a QB as well. So that leaves us with 4 possible landing spots for 5 QBs and of the 5 two of them are maybes!!!

So does a QB fall to #10? Very possible. Can 2 fall to #10? Less likely but still possible.

The Cowboys will deal the 10th overall pick that is my prediction. There is not need for QB hungry teams like Chicago or New England to want to trade into top 9 cause the cost will be too much. But the Cowboys will leverage those 2 teams against one another for the best possible deal for the 10th pick. That is my prediction.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I really hate when Dallas trades down. They need to stay put and draft an impact player day 1 starter on defense.