Twitter: Pats make calls about trade up for Fields?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Fields is going to make a lot of people look stupid, especially the Jets if they take Zach Wilson at #2. The only QB who should be ahead of him is Lawrence.

New England would be a great spot for him. Cam has a one-year deal, Fields works with McDaniels and The Hoodie then takes over in 2022.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Let’s ask Jimmy Johnson to settle this.

Jimmy says a first round pick ar #10 is worth 1300 points. The Pats’ pick at #15 is worth 1050, so it’d take 250 points to move up. The Pats’ second round pick is worth 440.

But what you’re forgetting @DFWJC is the “quarterback tax”. When you move up to get a QB, you pay what it takes.

Pats’ #15 + #46 for #10 is what I think it would take, OR #15 plus next year’s first. I’d personally rather have #46 given how that’s really a sweet spot of talent in this draft.

Will Horn fall to 15? That’s the question. But if you can grab Horn, then Richie Grant AND Joe Tryron, Jabril Cox or Jaylen Mayfield - you do that.

If Horn is gone, you probably have to go with Darrisaw and take Richie Grant + Kelvin Joseph or maybe Farley if he falls.
hey , never say never!

Generally no QB tax in the last decade after the top 2-3 picks. Although I did find a case outside of those top 3 picks, way back in 2007, where Cleveland overpaid us to get Brady Quinn at 22....so not impossible.

Otherwise, people actually underpay just as often as they overpay when they trade up for QBs....and it's generally by 5% or less. So in our case +/- 65 points

But again....never say never.
:dance::oldcouple::dance:
I would think Belichick would want a little something in addition to 10 if he gives us 15 and 46, but you never know for sure.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Or Horn and Surtain are both gone and Dallas is forced to draft the best defender in the draft in Jaelen Phillips.

Dallas would probably force the corner position and take Newsome though lol.
:huh:
Tell us more about Phillips. Why you so high on Phillips Wills, old boy old lugger.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
:huh:
Tell us more about Phillips. Why you so high on Phillips Wills, old boy old lugger.

Because the NFL is soft and teams just back off WRs and let them take whatever they want underneath in hopes they settle for 3.

If they do decide to get a little ambitious I’d like to let them know quickly that they will be getting hit quickly.

Phillips is the best pass rusher in the draft.. He fits the prototype of what you want.. He’s basically Joey Bosa part 2.

Tall, more athletic than Bosa, and has well developed pass rush skills.

Plus, our pass rush is next to nothing already. We got Lawrence and Gregory and if one goes down we got nothing that I’m aware of.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Because the NFL is soft and teams just back off WRs and let them take whatever they want underneath in hopes they settle for 3.

If they do decide to get a little ambitious I’d like to let them know quickly that they will be getting hit quickly.

Phillips is the best pass rusher in the draft.. He fits the prototype of what you want.. He’s basically Joey Bosa part 2.

Tall, more athletic than Bosa, and has well developed pass rush skills.

Plus, our pass rush is next to nothing already. We got Lawrence and Gregory and if one goes down we got nothing that I’m aware of.
Certainly something to consider with the vagarities of the draft. Bloke, Worst case is we miss out on slater, Pitts, Surtain and we get get JBosa II.
Not bad, old boy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Certainly something to consider with the vagarities of the draft. Bloke, Worst case is we miss out on slater, Pitts, Surtain and we get get JBosa II.
Not bad, old boy.

Listen mate, This lad will knock them on their bollocks and have them completely knackered by halftime innit.

He’s gonna make a lot of quid.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yes
If theyre willing to part with their 2nd, then for sure the make that offer to Detroit at 7

there is no chance we would get 15 and 46 for 10.
But maybe if we threw in a later pick or two
You have my attention to the value chart,, and I will be paying very close attention this year because of the awareness you have brought up and how teams really adhere to it, its very interesting and intrigues me, so I thank you.
This year could be quite different however, I believe that there will be an unprecedented amount of movement all over the rounds in this draft.
The successful teams in this draft will come away with some insane steals, and those teams will have something in common, and that is trust in your scouting dept, established scouting dept will see clearly in the later rounds of this draft and that is a huge advantage.
Question is do you Jerry?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Yeah, not with you, at all, on that one. Haskins and Lance are two entirely different players. Lance, IMO, is a younger, stronger, smarter version of Dak, with a better arm.
We will see.

Only Lawrence and fields will be good to great. Historically speaking out of an entire draft class their are usually only 1-2 good let a lone GREAT ones.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Still get Barmore now that’s a no brainer

I think Barmore would be gone by our turn in the 2nd round. We might need to get him in the late 1st round by moving down. ;)

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
The Eagles are interested in any player that the Cowboys are interested in for the sole reason the Cowboys are interested in that player. That's the kind of petty tiki taki crap that the Eagles do.

Could be. But unless someone unexpectedly dropped like Sewell or Pitts, it wouldn't matter who the Eagles took in front of us.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Could be. But unless someone unexpectedly dropped like Sewell or Pitts, it wouldn't matter who the Eagles took in front of us.
That's exactly the reason they would trade up ahead of us, to steal a player from us like Pitts or Sewell.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Listen mate, This lad will knock them on their bollocks and have them completely knackered by halftime innit.

He’s gonna make a lot of quid.
Yeah and then he will be in the blue tent then at home counting his money and rapping.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would think they'd be more reluctant because of how terrible he is at reading defenses and needing a guy to be wide open to make a throw.

True, I have not been impressed with Fields to me he just seems to streaky in his play

basel90

Reaction score

Makes sense . Mac Jones from Bama will be a bust . Too slow and will have issues when under pressure . That bama OL and receivers set boosted his numbers . But not sure fields is that great either but he played great in the NC game and against Clemson .

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Incredibly stupid is signing an average QB to a monster contract. Compounding that stupidity is passing on a better QB because you don’t want to hurt the QB’s feelings.

Jerry stuck with Garrett for 10 years until he realized that square peg wasn’t going in that round hole. Similar situation.
you have zero evidence that Fields is/will be better than Dak. None whatsoever. I'd wager he's just as likely to be a bust as he is a pro bowl level QB. Regardless, he could be the next big thing in the league, but you don't draft him when you've got what you view as your franchise QB for the foreseeable future. Disagree all you want, but the Cowboys are all in on Dak and there is no chance they draft a QB in the first round when they have significantly bigger needs elsewhere.