Paul Oliver attempting to enter the supp. Draft

lspain1

Reaction score
The fact that the supplemental draft doesn't have the numbers and hubbub of the main event means all the teams will have the opportunity to focus on Oliver. If we were at the main event, this guy would never fall far enough to become available to the Cowboys. How can we expect the supplemental to be any different?

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
iceberg;1502855 said:
why do i want someone who flunked out of college?

Then again, Drew Henson scored amazingly on the wonderlic and we all know how that turned out...

If the smartest players were coincidentally the best players, they would be on the roster rather than idiots like the prison-ward that is the Cincinatti Bengals; however that is rare to find a player like Alex Smith or Calvin Johnson (who actually is really freaking smart) that is gifted both mentally and physically. Until that day happens, we will be stuck with some players who are cavemen on and off of the field.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503530 said:
Then again, Drew Henson scored amazingly on the wonderlic and we all know how that turned out...

If the smartest players were coincidentally the best players, they would be on the roster rather than idiots like the prison-ward that is the Cincinatti Bengals; however that is rare to find a player like Alex Smith or Calvin Johnson (who actually is really freaking smart) that is gifted both mentally and physically. Until that day happens, we will be stuck with some players who are cavemen on and off of the field.

we can play point and counter point all day long - and sure, you can show me a lot of smart people who couldn't cut it in the nfl.

that said, go find me some college failures that did well in the nfl. just a couple will do for now.

show me a couple of players who flunked out of college and went on to be successful in todays NFL

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
glorydaysrback;1502025 said:
Here is the link...http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2873910

I will be honest and admit I do not know anything about this guy. According to what I have read, he is a 1st round talent and many people considered him the best CB prospect in the country for this upcoming season. Has any1 here seen this kid play? If so, tell us what you have seen. Should we take a stab at him?
A 2nd rounder is WELL worth it for this kid. We NEED to draft high for a CB next year. Might as well get a good one now since he could be available.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
iceberg;1503535 said:
we can play point and counter point all day long - and sure, you can show me a lot of smart people who couldn't cut it in the nfl.

that said, go find me some college failures that did well in the nfl. just a couple will do for now.

show me a couple of players who flunked out of college and went on to be successful in todays NFL

Honestly I can't think of any college flunkee's who fared well in the NFL off the top of my head, nor do I really care to think about it. Also, I don't really think I can conjure up any of those players because most of the guys like Paul Oliver were "smart" enough to realize that they needed to stay in college and get good enough grades to stay at a big-time program to have national media attention, or at the very least attention to yourself as a player. However, I wasn't arguing that point, (or frankly arguing at all :eek: ) but rather saying that I don't really think that having intelligence in the classroom or lacking it will consittute good NFL play.

Paul Oliver could be a great player; Frank Gore was a um-dumb in the classroom and on the Wonderlic but I never doubted his ability (besides his crummy knees) If I as a GM believed that much in a player to want to draft a Paul Oliver regardless of intelligence in a classroom (as long as Oliver never committed crimes or the like) I would do it.

Hailmary

Reaction score
iceberg;1503535 said:

Eric Swann who never even made it to college comes to mind.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I say spend a 2nd on the guy. We've got 2 firsts and if he's good as everyone says, he's definitely worth a 2nd. It's not like playing corner is rocket science.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503578 said:
Honestly I can't think of any college flunkee's who fared well in the NFL off the top of my head, nor do I really care to think about it. Also, I don't really think I can conjure up any of those players because most of the guys like Paul Oliver were "smart" enough to realize that they needed to stay in college and get good enough grades to stay at a big-time program to have national media attention, or at the very least attention to yourself as a player. However, I wasn't arguing that point, (or frankly arguing at all :eek: ) but rather saying that I don't really think that having intelligence in the classroom or lacking it will consittute good NFL play.

Paul Oliver could be a great player; Frank Gore was a um-dumb in the classroom and on the Wonderlic but I never doubted his ability (besides his crummy knees) If I as a GM believed that much in a player to want to draft a Paul Oliver regardless of intelligence in a classroom (as long as Oliver never committed crimes or the like) I would do it.

good points. i don't say that oliver couldn't make it, it's just a longshot of almost epic proportions for him to be successful if he flunked out of college. (to me anyway). one reason i was curious is because i couldn't think of anyone who flunked out and did well in the nfl and i would liked to have had some comparisions.

some people are flat out *not* college material but that doesn't make them a bad person or *stupid*. i'd want to talk / interview him and see for myself and then make the call. but like i said, you've got some good points.

Hailmary;1503579 said:
Eric Swann who never even made it to college comes to mind.

kinda hard to fail at something you never did, isn't it? : )

Hailmary

Reaction score
I think Albert Haynesworth dropped out after his jr year.

Not saying he's a model citizen, but he's been a starter in the league for a while now so I think you can say that he's definitely made it.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
iceberg;1503585 said:
good points. i don't say that oliver couldn't make it, it's just a longshot of almost epic proportions for him to be successful if he flunked out of college. (to me anyway). one reason i was curious is because i couldn't think of anyone who flunked out and did well in the nfl and i would liked to have had some comparisions.

some people are flat out *not* college material but that doesn't make them a bad person or *stupid*. i'd want to talk / interview him and see for myself and then make the call. but like i said, you've got some good points.

kinda hard to fail at something you never did, isn't it? : )

Hey, point taken and I agree (from what I got from your post)

I honestly think that his flunking out was more ego-driven than anything else. If he is so athletically gifted, and also combined with his (i'm sure) huge ego, he may have that college isn't important and that he would make it to the league regardless. IF that is the case, would I want a player like that on my team?

Also, is the supplementary draft for UDFA's who haven't been picked up and signed by a team already? Thanks

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hailmary;1503590 said:
I think Albert Haynesworth dropped out after his jr year.

Not saying he's a model citizen, but he's been a starter in the league for a while now so I think you can say that he's definitely made it.

not trying to split hairs, but dropping out isn't flunking out. while i may call it close, it's not the same.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503600 said:
Hey, point taken and I agree (from what I got from your post)

I honestly think that his flunking out was more ego-driven than anything else. If he is so athletically gifted, and also combined with his (i'm sure) huge ego, he may have that college isn't important and that he would make it to the league regardless. IF that is the case, would I want a player like that on my team?

Also, is the supplementary draft for UDFA's who haven't been picked up and signed by a team already? Thanks

no, you make yourself eligible for a draft and that's it. you get picked or you don't. if you're picked, you have a team to call home for a little while. if you don't get picked you become a UFA and can sign anywhere someone will have you. if no one does, you sell insurance.

the sup draft is for players that for whatever reason didn't make themselves or were not eligible for the previous draft. only those players can enter the supplimental draft and each team has an alloted time to pick the player or pass. if picked, the team that got him loses that pick in the next draft.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
iceberg;1503608 said:
no, you make yourself eligible for a draft and that's it. you get picked or you don't. if you're picked, you have a team to call home for a little while. if you don't get picked you become a UFA and can sign anywhere someone will have you. if no one does, you sell insurance.

the sup draft is for players that for whatever reason didn't make themselves or were not eligible for the previous draft. only those players can enter the supplimental draft and each team has an alloted time to pick the player or pass. if picked, the team that got him loses that pick in the next draft.

Thanks for the info. :D Got it now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503617 said:
Thanks for the info. :D Got it now.

all that said, a player can re-enter the draft but it would take special circumstances and he'd have to declare again that he's available to be drafted.

just wanted to say that before someone got nit-picky on me. : )

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Hailmary;1503328 said:
When's the draft and when will he work out for the scouts?
The date hasn't been set yet by the NFL.

I personally like the idea of spending a 2008 draft pick to get someone who can help the team in 2007. He is very well regarded, I think Jerry will put a bid in for him. I suspect that he won't be the only one, and I can't see giving up anything higher than a 3rd.

sjordan6

Reaction score
great post ice and breaking down the "after draft" draft.

Oliver is listed at 6-0, 210 and reportedly runs the 40 in the low 4.4s; in 2006, he had 57 tackles and picked off three passes. His claim to fame is holding Calvin Johnson to 13 yards in thier annual rivalry game with GTech. The NFL draft advisory had him as a late second/third round pick this year and so he decided to stay and play into a first round pick. He was starting the 2007 season as the top corner as a senior but now those plans has changed. Does it still not make him a third round pick? He is not a bad character guy and does not shy away from contact in making tackles.

I strongly doubt the Cowboys will use a second round pick on him while cornerback is a position that could use young and up and coming talent. Personally I think you could do alot worse in giving a second round pick for a Paul Oliver. Allow him to play ST this season and groom him to take over for Glenn 2008 and beyond. I think a Newman/Oliver secondary is grand!

g