Paul Oliver attempting to enter the supp. Draft

montgod

Reaction score
Muhast;1502344 said:
Anyways he is supposed to have matured a ton, and he will be a first rounder IMO if he doesnt enter the supplemental.

Matured enough to get on the academicly ineligible list huh? :D

I say... put a third out there... maybe... a BIG maybe for a second rounder for him if our scouting teams thinks he is worth it.

montgod

Reaction score
With him being estimated to get drafted at the #7 slot, if he had come out this year, he would have rivaled Revis and Hall... and drafted before them.

Anyone see this kid play? Is he that much better then both CBs?

BigDave95

Reaction score
montgod;1502640 said:
With him being estimated to get drafted at the #7 slot, if he had come out this year, he would have rivaled Revis and Hall... and drafted before them.

Anyone see this kid play? Is he that much better then both CBs?

I've seen him play several times and he is VERY good. He's the kind of player who really stands out when you're watching the Dogs.

We'd be wasting our time putting in a bid for a 3rd and probably would be wasting our time with a 2nd. Some team like Indy who knows they'll be drafting high in the 1st will put in a 1st round bid for him. He'd probably have gone between 10-15 next year so Indy gets high first round value for a low first round pick. Plus they'll get him on the roster a year early to start the development. It's great value for their 08 1st.

That being said, I'd throw out a 2nd round offer and hope for the best.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
BigDave95;1502560 said:
Randy Moss and Darrell Jackson just went for 4th rounders but you're going to get a 3rd for Patrick Crayton?

And a 2nd or 3rd for Keith Davis!?!?!? That's just insane.

Everyone needs to realize that active players don't have NEAR the value in trades that you might think. Teams value draft picks too much.

GREAT POINT.

Darrell Jackson is a proven no. 1 wideout (even if the dude drops mad balls) and crayton just came into his own this year as a number 3 option (frankly four if you count witten)

Keith Davis at a second rounder??? HAH. You can get guys like him in the sixth and seventh round; there are lots of dudes who are fast and can hit but can't really cover...Davis is essentially on the roster right now beacuse he is a pretty good ST's guy and backup player.

ethiostar

Reaction score
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/05/should_cowboys_be_interested_in_georgia.html

CB Paul Oliver flunked out of Georgia and will petition the NFL to enter the supplemental draft in July.

The 6-0, 205-pound Oliver is an interesting prospect. He probably would have been a first-day pick if he declared for the regular draft. His biggest claim to fame is holding No. 2 pick Calvin Johnson to two catches for 13 yards last season, although I'd like to see the tape to determine how much that had to do with terrible Georgia Tech QB Reggie Ball's performance. (I could take a cheap shot at Chan Gailey's play-calling, but that wouldn't be nice.)

Oliver had mixed results against two other WRs drafted early. Saints first-rounder Robert Meachem caught seven passes for 98 yards and a TD in Tennessee's rout of Georgia. Oliver shut down Vikings second-round pick Sidney Rice (three catches, 31 yards) in the Bulldogs' shutout of South Carolina.

Todd Archer's hunch is that the Cowboys won't take Oliver in the supplemental draft. He thinks they value their picks too much to give up an early one in next year's draft.

But Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn are in their 30s, and the Cowboys didn't address cornerback in the draft until taking a couple of seventh-round flyers.
I'm sure Jerry will call for my advice on Oliver. What do you folks want me to tell him?

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 12:43 PM (E-mail this entry)

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
He was the Georgia player of the year as a high school senior and was on every All-America list.

I saw Eric Allen break down tape of his play against Calvin Johnson and he looked great. He made several plays in man coverage against CJ, knocking the ball away and denying the catch.

It will be interesting to see how he's perceived by the NFL scouts.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1502837 said:
What is his wonderlick score?

Since he flunked out, I will go out on a limb and say it probably wouldn't help his draft stock!;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
No, go with the CBs we have, and target Arizona's Antoine Cason in next year's draft. :D

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Would we have a chance to get him in the supplemental draft?

Would we even consider giving up any of next years draft picks for a supplemental one? Is that even heard of?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1502859 said:
Would we have a chance to get him in the supplemental draft?

Would we even consider giving up any of next years draft picks for a supplemental one? Is that even heard of?

Apparently you don't remember the hubbub about Ahmad Brooks.

It happens all the time...but it usually involves some extenuating circumstances. In this case, he's academically ineligible to return to school next year. Maybe he's dumbarse, and maybe he pi**ed off one of his professors, no one here knows (as far as I've read). The point is, there is usually more of a gamble involved...but to get a first round talent with a 3rd is never a bad thing.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
iceberg;1502855 said:
why do i want someone who flunked out of college?

It's not like he'd have to study in the NFL... oh wait.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tomson75;1502867 said:
Apparently you don't remember the hubbub about Ahmad Brooks.

It happens all the time...but it usually involves some extenuating circumstances. In this case, he's academically ineligible to return to school next year. Maybe he's dumbarse, and maybe he pi**ed off one of his professors, no one here knows (as far as I've read). The point is, there is usually more of a gamble involved...but to get a first round talent with a 3rd is never a bad thing.

I agree with you Tom, and even if it's a second (providing our scouting believes he's a true top 15 talent.) IMO. Most of these kids are not there for the diploma. That's just the facts of the matter. Some may go back later and that's OK. You do a great deal of growing up between 20 and 25 IMO. Some guys figure it out and go back. Some never figure it out. Doesn't matter because this kid has clearly decided to go out and start trying to make a living. I think it's foolish not to take advantage of free education if you have the opportunity but lets be honest here, how many of us have started school and eventually ended up working and not finishing? How many of us have parents or siblings or son's or daughters who have been in this situation? It does happen. It's not ever what I would probably recommend but it's also not something that I would black list a guy over.

If he's truely evaluated as a top 15 pick next year, I would look very hard at using a 2nd or 3rd on him.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
(12:01 AM): Dawgs’ CB to enter supp draft… Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who had been considered a potential first-day pick at the 2008 draft, has left school and will reportedly make himself eligible for this summer’s NFL supplemental draft. Oliver reportedly had been declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season. Oliver is listed at 6-0, 210 and reportedly runs the 40 in the low 4.4s; in 2006, he had 57 tackles and picked off three passes

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Whether or not he "flunked" out is absolutely meaningless to me. The only factor that I care about is whether he can play football or not, and what its going to cost to obtain him. A lot of kids lose their eligibility because they didn't meet some arbitrary, meaningless, bureaucratic NCAA rule, or their academic counselor didn't know about some arbitrary, meaningless, bureaucratic NCAA rule.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
How smart do you have to be to play cornerback in the NFL, anyway??

The coach says "go cover that guy", and you go cover that guy... it ain't like you're gonna be the quarterback of the defense, calling the sets and such...

There are positions where native intelligence is a huge advantage, but there are some-- like cornerback-- where instincts and native athletic ability are enough to get by...