Paul Oliver attempting to enter the supp. Draft

JFlgn

Reaction score
This from an SI.com article, and said by his coach at Georgia:
"We'll miss him for sure," Georgia coach Mark Richt said. "Of course, he could have made a decision to leave for the draft immediately after his junior season. He was aware there could be risks, but he decided to continue in school and get closer to his degree."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/05/17/oliver.georgia.ap/index.html

Doesn't sound like character issues to me.

Good player. Might be worth a pick.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
He should have just declared for the draft, but waits til he is suspended for the 2007 season, his stock just fell, he might get a 3rd round tender but most likely will get tendered a 4th rounder...

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
I wouldn't complain if we spent a 3rd on this guy.........from what little I have seen. A 4th would be even better.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
LowTech;1502360 said:
I wouldn't complain if we spent a 3rd on this guy.........from what little I have seen. A 4th would be even better.

If the Boys want him, they'll have to offer their 2nd rounder... even that might not be enough to get the job done, but I personally wouldn't go any higher than that... the only reason I'd be willing to go that high, this year, is the two first round draft picks the Boys already have...

Oliver is rated a top 10 prospect for 2008 on the early draft boards I've seen, to expect him to fall to the 3rd or 4th round in the supplemental draft is highly unrealistic... just the fact that he manned up well against Calvin Johnson will make a lot of NFL teams take a liking to him...

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
silverbear;1502368 said:
If the Boys want him, they'll have to offer their 2nd rounder... even that might not be enough to get the job done, but I personally wouldn't go any higher than that... the only reason I'd be willing to go that high, this year, is the two first round draft picks the Boys already have...

Oliver is rated a top 10 prospect for 2008 on the early draft boards I've seen, to expect him to fall to the 3rd or 4th round in the supplemental draft is highly unrealistic... just the fact that he manned up well against Calvin Johnson will make a lot of NFL teams take a liking to him...

Like maybe the Bears, Packers or Vikings?

glassjaw

Reaction score
They showed Georgia's bowl game on ESPNU the other night. He is a pretty physical corner he was never really tested much one on one. I will assume that he pretty much took care of his guy.

Against the run he supported very, very well. He came up and made plays on the outside against the backs several times. He was aggresive and looked to deliver a hit. It was late when I watched it but Oliver was my reason for saving it. I will rewatch and pay more attention to all his coverages and share any more insights with everyone. But on intitial obsevation tough and physical would describe him. Definately spend a 2nd on him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Muhast;1502344 said:
He completely shut down Calvin

yeah he did a nice job against Johnson that day, but alot of the being "shutdown" was the fault of Ga Tech QB Reggie Ball, who put on one of the worst displays of throwing I've ever seen...Johnson was open some and Ball missed badly on throw after throw...its another reason why I would have jumped all over Johnson if I had the 1st pick in the draft...he was able to do what he did with arguably the worst starting college QB of any major school...

and as an aside, its also another example fo why Chan Gailey is such a complete boob when it coems to being a HC...the fool stuck with the no talent Ball for 4yrs, despite people (and players) saying certain backups were better passers...low and behold once Ball couldnt play due to suspension, this yrs backup went out and had a field day...

David

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
If he was advised he was going to be a 2nd/3rd round pick, I would entertain the idea of a 3rd.

I realize he may be long gone by then....but if he was truly worth more, he'd have declared for the draft instead of having this happen.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
well, first you guys dont forget about Courtney Brown;

I am thinking he is a super star, now im not against taking this guy if he will be a super star in a year or 2, but only give up like a 3rd or 4th round draft choice for him.

now what i would do is this, the cowboys know what their going to do at WR set. so, if their not into keeping patrick crayton next year, since he will be a free agent, then i say trade crayton midseason; if stanback shows anything. You possibly get a 3rd round draft choice for him,

other option is this, cowboys also know what they are going to do at safety sets, with hamlin at free safety - he also can play strong safety too, then roy williams at ss, elam at ss, and watkins at free safety, you might could possibly trade to keith davis to possibly the saints, if you all remember sean payton tried to sign him to a 2 year deal for about 2 million i think, thats worth a 2nd or 3rd draft choice,

with one of these trades, you could free up somewhere around a 3rd or 4th draft choice, to recoup with taking this cornerback that is applying for the supplemental draft.

we arent too far off in talented players now towards being a legimate super bowl team. i am sure your all aware, how you win those big games is to have super stars on your team, with hopefully getting clevelands first round draft choice, hopefully its a top 5 pick so we can get mcfadden, and get this kid if he is any good at cornerback, because as we all know aaron glenn is 34 or so, not many years left, and to add to that, henry is getting older too, so we need a couple of young cornerbacks that can play.

then, if we dont have to bundle our draft picks, and clevelands pick gets us mcfadden without trading up, we can use our own # 1 pick to bundle up again, and take another super player that may drop after top 15 picks, thats how you build is through the draft with super players, i think to a large degree that is what we are missing super players,

look at our team in 90's troy aikman, emmitt smith, michael irwin,
49ers-young, rice, lott,
patriots, richard seymour, ty warren, vince wilfork, samuel, ben watson,

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Keith Davis MIGHT fetch us a 7th rounder.

Crayton, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. Probably more like a 5th at best....

BigDave95

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1502511 said:
now what i would do is this, the cowboys know what their going to do at WR set. so, if their not into keeping patrick crayton next year, since he will be a free agent, then i say trade crayton midseason; if stanback shows anything. You possibly get a 3rd round draft choice for him,

Randy Moss and Darrell Jackson just went for 4th rounders but you're going to get a 3rd for Patrick Crayton?

And a 2nd or 3rd for Keith Davis!?!?!? That's just insane.

Everyone needs to realize that active players don't have NEAR the value in trades that you might think. Teams value draft picks too much.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Randy Moss and Darrell Jackson just went for 4th rounders but you're going to get a 3rd for Patrick Crayton?

And a 2nd or 3rd for Keith Davis!?!?!? That's just insane.

Everyone needs to realize that active players don't have NEAR the value in trades that you might think. Teams value draft picks too much

i disagree, if you noticed i said dont trade them till at least midseason, that way some team might go down with key wr injury or safety injury, then craytons or davis would have value.

you trade them when teams are hurting to win, and one of their key players gets hurt or their exposed by teams finding their weaknesses like we were last year with new orleans, when sean payton showed we couldnt cover a fullback, etc.

and got to remember, sean payton wont have the punch he had last year, with sneaking up on teams, they will have tapes of the saints now, their weaknesses, etc. granted, the saints are better now with reggie bush, and their qb from san diego last year, but they still have weaknesses, its always harder to sneak up on teams, after a year, and when they get film of you;

then, you got to remember, what one area did saints have weakness last year, at safety, and the saints needs safeties bad, along with a key wr, which they got a good one in draft. so, they still need a safety, and remember now Sean Payton was drooling over getting keith davis 2 years ago. so if the saints are exposed say in preseason, and peyton comes a calling about keith davis, then, you can work a trade, better value then you think. Now, do i think it might be a 2nd draft choice, probably not, but you should be able to get a 3rd or 4th. Way you handle that, is the shanle trade, we traded him to them for a 7th draft choice, and shanle is one of their key defenders now, so now, say peyton comes a calling, now you can tell him you want davis, youve got to pay, you got shanle for a song, now you got to pay for davis.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
We needed LB'ers and we gave up, what, a 6th for Fujita?

KC knew we were in desperate need seeing as how Thornton and Nguyen went down for the season. Yet, we gave up a 6th. And Fujita is probably a better starter than Keith Davis.

Furthermore, N.O. has spent 2 2nd round draft pick the two previous years on Safeties in Roman Harper (rookie last year, but was placed on IR with injury) and Josh Bullocks (entering his 3rd season).

Then, they signed Kevin K from Cinci this offseason.

They have plenty of options at S....youth and experience. Why would they want Davis? He doesn't provide an upgrade ANYWHERE for them....except maybe special teams. And you don't trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a special teams player.

Furthermore, why would New Orleans want Crayton anymore? They have Colston, who proved to be damn good last year. They just drafted a WR in round one and will want to give him reps. Devery Henderson played pretty well and is a solid #3. And Copper proved to produce when given the chance last year for them and is a solid #4 WR.

Why would they want to spend a #2 or a #3 on a minimal upgrade at the #3 WR position? Makes no sense.

BigDave95

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1502577 said:
i disagree, if you noticed i said dont trade them till at least midseason, that way some team might go down with key wr injury or safety injury, then craytons or davis would have value.

you trade them when teams are hurting to win, and one of their key players gets hurt or their exposed by teams finding their weaknesses like we were last year with new orleans, when sean payton showed we couldnt cover a fullback, etc.

and got to remember, sean payton wont have the punch he had last year, with sneaking up on teams, they will have tapes of the saints now, their weaknesses, etc. granted, the saints are better now with reggie bush, and their qb from san diego last year, but they still have weaknesses, its always harder to sneak up on teams, after a year, and when they get film of you;

then, you got to remember, what one area did saints have weakness last year, at safety, and the saints needs safeties bad, along with a key wr, which they got a good one in draft. so, they still need a safety, and remember now Sean Payton was drooling over getting keith davis 2 years ago. so if the saints are exposed say in preseason, and peyton comes a calling about keith davis, then, you can work a trade, better value then you think. Now, do i think it might be a 2nd draft choice, probably not, but you should be able to get a 3rd or 4th. Way you handle that, is the shanle trade, we traded him to them for a 7th draft choice, and shanle is one of their key defenders now, so now, say peyton comes a calling, now you can tell him you want davis, youve got to pay, you got shanle for a song, now you got to pay for davis.

First off, the Saints signed Kevin Kaeshviham this offseason to shore up their safety position so they're not exactly desperate.

Secondly, you just don't get 3rd and 4th rounders for players during the season. It just doesn't happen. Go back and look at the last 3 or 4 seasons and tell me how many players were traded for high-mid round picks.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1502511 said:
well, first you guys dont forget about Courtney Brown;

I am thinking he is a super star, now im not against taking this guy if he will be a super star in a year or 2, but only give up like a 3rd or 4th round draft choice for him.

Brown played a school that has a very low level of competition. He's got great measureables and was very good in college. But he's never faced decent WRs or CBs.

Our University's team used to be in SLO's division. I saw Brown play here a few years ago. Our team at the time was QB'ed by the coaches' son. Not real big time college football if you get what I'm saying. Our University not only has no currently players in the NFL, we have no current players in the CFL, but hey, we've got one guy in the AFL!

That's the level of competition your "super star" was playing against.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Vintage;1502579 said:
We needed LB'ers and we gave up, what, a 6th for Fujita?

KC knew we were in desperate need seeing as how Thornton and Nguyen went down for the season. Yet, we gave up a 6th. And Fujita is probably a better starter than Keith Davis.

Furthermore, N.O. has spent 2 2nd round draft pick the two previous years on Safeties in Roman Harper (rookie last year, but was placed on IR with injury) and Josh Bullocks (entering his 3rd season).

Then, they signed Kevin K from Cinci this offseason.

They have plenty of options at S....youth and experience. Why would they want Davis? He doesn't provide an upgrade ANYWHERE for them....except maybe special teams. And you don't trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a special teams player.

Furthermore, why would New Orleans want Crayton anymore? They have Colston, who proved to be damn good last year. They just drafted a WR in round one and will want to give him reps. Devery Henderson played pretty well and is a solid #3. And Copper proved to produce when given the chance last year for them and is a solid #4 WR.

Why would they want to spend a #2 or a #3 on a minimal upgrade at the #3 WR position? Makes no sense.

Not to mention that our S's didn't exactly set the world on fire... It seems Payton didn't think much of them when we played NO and he was right.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
BigDave95;1502588 said:
Secondly, you just don't get 3rd and 4th rounders for players during the season. It just doesn't happen. Go back and look at the last 3 or 4 seasons and tell me how many players were traded for high-mid round picks.

Here I disagree, the closer you get to the draft the more teams value their picks, you get more for a player during TC than the draft.

BigDave95

Reaction score
L-O-Jete;1502603 said:
Here I disagree, the closer you get to the draft the more teams value their picks, you get more for a player during TC than the draft.

More...but still not very much.

Players have the LEAST amount of value on draft day. That's true. But even when players are at their MAX value (training camp possibly), they still don't warrant a 3rd or 4th round pick. No team is going to be able to trade a backup for a 3rd and we certainly won't get that for Crayton or Davis.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BLT;1502104 said:
ok so we DEF would take him with a 3rd... would MAYBE take him with a 2nd... and NOT take him with a 1st... agreed?

I would agree with that. Assuming our coaching staff agrees with this evalution, I think a 2nd/3rd is acceptable. You can not have enough good CBs. McFadden is a nice player but who's to say we will ever get a chance at him or that he doesn't get himself injured or even decide he isn't coming out. I think he's only a Jr. this coming season. He may decide that he wants to stay in, who knows.

I say, take the opportunity when it presents itself. Can't hold out for what might never happen.