Paxton Lynch with 4th overall

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
This Rams trade should open some eyes to the reality of how expensive it is to get a potential franchise QB via the draft. Looking at it, it will actually be less of a risk to take a shot this year vs having to move up in future years. The way the draft is shaping up Lynch may be our safest gamble even if he wouldn't be the starter for three years.

Sydla

Reaction score
That just seems like a total reach but................. I can kind of see the logic in taking him at 4 now.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I sincerely don't think Lynch is the safest gamble. Not even close. As far as gambles go, I think Cook and Hackenberg are safer. Lynch is miles away from ready. He may have the most upside of any QB in the draft, but he's not anything close to safe.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I have no problem with taking him at 4. I think his potential is too great to pass up on. Ideally, I'd like to move down to #6 pick up an additional pick and still draft Lynch, but I wouldn't chance it.

I really don't see Wentz as a better prospect at this stage. The only thing he has over Lynch is his footwork was slightly better overall (still sloppy at times) and he played in an offense that was a little more of a pro style (not by much). I think Wentz can be really good, but I think with Lynch given his release, his ability to see over the linemen, he's a better runner with the ball, stronger arm, throws a much better deep ball and can be used in some read option, makes for a very prolific QB.

YR

Sydla

Reaction score
I sincerely don't think Lynch is the safest gamble. Not even close. As far as gambles go, I think Cook and Hackenberg are safer. Lynch is miles away from ready. He may have the most upside of any QB in the draft, but he's not anything close to safe.

How is Cook safer? If he's closer to being ready and can only muster three seasons of sub 60% passing at MSU, guess what? He's likely never going to be any good.

Cook is a way riskier pick than Lynch because it's rare, very rare, that a kid is so inaccurate in college but then turns into an accurate NFL passer.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset if Lynch was the pick at 4, but if they could trade back slightly they would still have very good fallback options even if Lynch is off the board. If he is taken earlier, you would still have a guy like Myles Jack available, worst case Zeke Elliot.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Cook is horrendous. He's not ready and he simply doesn't have the skills or athleticism to be a good QB. Hackenberg understands defenses, but I question his athleticism and he made a lot of dumb throws. I don't see much upside to Cook at all. So I would wonder what anybody would be gambling with a kid that just wasn't that good. Hackenberg showed some flashes, but questionable decisions and questionable athleticism would make me wonder. I could at least see the gamble with Hackenberg.

YR

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

All of them are flawed and all have a chance of being taken in the first round because of this trade, including Hackenberg.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like Lynch but 4 is too rich for me, really hoping for a trade down and still get Lynch.

KB1122

Reaction score
I would say this .... if you believe in a quarterback, really believe in a quarterback, you should be willing to use a Top 5 pick on him no matter what. And if you don't really believe in a quarterback you probably should not draft him.

In 1992, Brett Favre was generally rated as an early second round pick. That's where he went. But Ron Wolf and the Jets had Favre as the No. 1 overall player on their board. Had the Jets had the No. 1 pick that year (or any first-round pick), they would have used it on Brett Favre, even if he was a second-rounder to everyone else. And they would have been right.

Wolf, with the Packers, traded a first-round pick on him next year, for a guy who had thrown five passes and worn out his welcome in Atlanta. The rest is history.

I don't know if the Cowboys rate Lynch that highly. I don't. But if they do, I have no problem with them drafting him at 4.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I like Lynch but 4 is too rich for me, really hoping for a trade down and still get Lynch.

You are missing my point, typically 4th overall is too rich for Lynch, but when contrasting with the cost to move up in a year or two, the risk of taking Lynch 4th overall is a considerably cheaper then having to pay the price in a few years to move up.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
This Rams trade should open some eyes to the reality of how expensive it is to get a potential franchise QB via the draft. Looking at it, it will actually be less of a risk to take a shot this year vs having to move up in future years. The way the draft is shaping up Lynch may be our safest gamble even if he wouldn't be the starter for three years.

They paid less than standard value to move all the way to 1st overall from 15th, so (and I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here) they didn't show anything we didn't already know.
We've been saying all along that this would be the coast from that far down int he draft order. 15 to 1 is a huge leap.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
And if the Chargers trade out to the Eagles who then grab Lynch????

Dallas takes Connor Cook at #4.

No but if you planned on taking a particular qb, say Prescott say in the fourth you almost assuredly have to take him a few rounds earlier to make sure you get him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You are missing my point, typically 4 overall is too rich for Lynch, but when contrasting with the cost to move up in a year or two, the risk of take Lynch 4th overall is a considerably cheaper then having to pay the price in a few years to move up.

But nothing says you have to be in the top 1-2 picks to get a great QB.
9 of the last 11 Super Bowl winning QBs were taken outside the top 5 and 8 of 11 were out of the top 10.

Not saying wait till late in the draft, but in the 10-20 range in the first round is very good and it's attainable every year at reasonable price. Including this year if they like Lynch and he's there in that range.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
How is Cook safer? If he's closer to being ready and can only muster three seasons of sub 60% passing at MSU, guess what? He's likely never going to be any good.

Cook is a way riskier pick than Lynch because it's rare, very rare, that a kid is so inaccurate in college but then turns into an accurate NFL passer.

Because he can be had later and is a more polished passer mechanically already.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because he can be had later and is a more polished passer mechanically already.

More polished mechanically? And still can't complete 60% of his passes? That should be a MASSIVE red flag to you if a guy is pretty mechanically sound and still isn't accurate.

I'd rather take the guy who was more accurate but still could use some mechanics work than the guy who has pretty good mechanics but can't hit the broad side of the barn.

Cook blows. I'll flip if we take him. Unless it's with a 7th round comp pick.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
More polished mechanically? And still can't complete 60% of his passes? That should be a MASSIVE red flag to you if a guy is pretty mechanically sound and still isn't accurate.

I'd rather take the guy who was more accurate but still could use some mechanics work than the guy who has pretty good mechanics but can't hit the broad side of the barn.

Cook blows. I'll flip if we take him. Unless it's with a 7th round comp pick.

I could complete 60% of my passes when 50% of them are screens.