Paxton Lynch with 4th overall

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
In hindsight was Derrick Carr worthy of the 4th overall pick? Meaning if you knew he would turn out to be as good as he is who would complain about where he was picked? My point is in the grand scheme of things where a player is taking is not what determine his value, but rather they are successful or not. It is all a risk, who is going to complain if we take Lynch at 4 and he is our QB for the next 12 years? I don't get the trade down to 7, 15 and take him thinking. If you like him take him why risk someone else snatching him up.

To answer your earlier question, yes, I thought Carr was worth that pick at the time. I had him and Bridgewater above Bortles. Bortles was taken at 3 and seems to be living up to it so far.

That said, I also think the bengals got it right with AJ green in the first and taking Dalton in the second. In fact, I would still take non QB picks1-15 (roughly) over dalton.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No, that's not the case. I watched both of those guys play. Quincy was not a 3rd round talent. He was maybe a 4th round talent imo. He was never accurate and his game needed a lot of work for the NFL. You didn't need to be a pro scout to see that. On the other hand, Wilson was very accurate and you could see that he could make all the throws and he could command the game. He could lead and again, it was not hard to see that he could play. He was downgraded because of his size. If he had been 6-2 like Carter, he would have been a top 10 pick IMO. It was easy to see. I'm on record on this board as saying that I really liked Wilson and I did not like Carter. I'm also on record as having said that I didn't like Vick either. I don't believe in QBs running the ball in the NFL as a staple. The game is just too physical for that and it will tear you down. You can believe what you want, doesn't matter to me but I have been very consistent over the years about this stuff.

As far as the Chargers go, I didn't say they were or were not better off. I said it depends on what you use as criteria. Championships are how I measure success. Not playoffs, not winning seasons, not Pro Bowls or All Pro players. For me, it's really all about Championships.

So Dan Marino shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. ....since he didn't have any success winning a championship

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I hope Lynch is there at 4 and we draft him. Go look at highlights of him playing on youtube. I actually like him ahead of all the qbs. Very mobile, had good arm strength, lots of passes with nice touch too. Go read up on his strengths/weaknesses. I've seen him discussed by Kiper, Mayock, etc etc. I'm sold. We are in the market for a QB, we saw how much we sucked last year when Romo went down. I actually don't think it is too high of a premium to pick him at 4. I would be quite happy with Lynch at 4 and that is what I am hoping for.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
To answer your earlier question, yes, I thought Carr was worth that pick at the time. I had him and Bridgewater above Bortles. Bortles was taken at 3 and seems to be living up to it so far.

That said, I also think the bengals got it right with AJ green in the first and taking Dalton in the second. In fact, I would still take non QB picks1-15 (roughly) over dalton.

Carr was a bit of a puzzle to me. I thought he had all the makings of a great QB. Great throwing mechanics, cannon for an arm, played in more of a pro style offense and had a brother that was the #1 overall pick and he produced in college as well. Not sure how the scouts across the league missed that.

Dalton has been a nice QB, but not outstanding. AJ Green is incredible.

YR

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Carr was a bit of a puzzle to me. I thought he had all the makings of a great QB. Great throwing mechanics, cannon for an arm, played in more of a pro style offense and had a brother that was the #1 overall pick and he produced in college as well. Not sure how the scouts across the league missed that.

Dalton has been a nice QB, but not outstanding. AJ Green is incredible.

YR

My question was if Carr was drafted 4th overall instead of the second round, with his current success would anybody say it was a waste of the pick? People are barking at risking the 4th overall pick on Lynch, when my argument is if you believe he can be your QB of the future then take him regardless where everyone else rank him.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
This Rams trade should open some eyes to the reality of how expensive it is to get a potential franchise QB via the draft. Looking at it, it will actually be less of a risk to take a shot this year vs having to move up in future years. The way the draft is shaping up Lynch may be our safest gamble even if he wouldn't be the starter for three years.

Not going to happen.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
My question was if Carr was drafted 4th overall instead of the second round, with his current success would anybody say it was a waste of the pick? People are barking at risking the 4th overall pick on Lynch, when my argument is if you believe he can be your QB of the future then take him regardless where everyone else rank him.

Perhaps.

I look at it from the standpoint that you're supposed to get the best value possible. If everybody's projections are that a player is a 3rd round pick and he gets drafted in the 1st round...even if the player works out that is still a poor selection because you could have likely gotten the player at least in the 2nd round and added another top player in the first round.

IIRC, Carr was projected as a 2nd round pick. I could see picking him late in the first round if you wanted to make sure nobody else picked him up. But picking at 4 to me would have been unreasonable since he was not projected that high.

There's the difference between Lynch and Carr. He's projected to be a first rounder and I wouldn't be surprised if he's projected to be a top-8 pick for some teams. So picking him at 4 isn't necessarily ridiculous. I also think the Cowboys need to not factor his current abilities as much since he wouldn't likely play this year with Romo at QB.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So Dan Marino shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. ....since he didn't have any success winning a championship

Where do you get this stuff. Are you just throwing crap out there to stir the pot or what? Nobody ever said anything about Marino. If Dan Marino were in this draft I'd take him but if Joe Montana was also there or Troy Aikman, I'd take them first and never think twice because they won championships. It's not a zero sum game.

erod

Reaction score
If it's true that the Cowboys do, in fact, like Lynch better than Wentz and Goff anyway, then this very well may be the pick. With the early run on quarterbacks, he's almost certain to go top 10 now.

DFWJC

Reaction score

The risk/reward was MUCH better taking Carr in the 2nd.
And they did use their high 1st rounder very wisely, getting probably a top 3 defensive player in the entire league in Pro Bowler Khalil Mack(which is what you hope for with a top 5 pick).

For all we know, Carr may spend his entire career as just an average NFL QB. We don't know yet.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Where do you get this stuff. Are you just throwing crap out there to stir the pot or what? Nobody ever said anything about Marino. If Dan Marino were in this draft I'd take him but if Joe Montana was also there or Troy Aikman, I'd take them first and never think twice because they won championships. It's not a zero sum game.

Did you say that you measure success in championships? Marino had 0 is my point, you can't look at championships alone. That's a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment

kazzd58

Reaction score
I sincerely don't think Lynch is the safest gamble. Not even close. As far as gambles go, I think Cook and Hackenberg are safer. Lynch is miles away from ready. He may have the most upside of any QB in the draft, but he's not anything close to safe.

maybe now but who knows how quick or long it takes a person to learn or adjust sometimes it takes just seeing it and experience is the best teacher hands down..

everybody's instincts are not the same and most times the plays never goes exactly like its suppose to anyway so who knows Lynch cool but id rather do what the rams did next year for QB Watson in Clemson...

we can build this squad some more over all and then trade and get Watson dude we in the playoffs every year when he take over but that's wishful big picture thinking

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Did you say that you measure success in championships? Marino had 0 is my point, you can't look at championships alone. That's a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment

I can absolutely do that. If you want to use other criteria, that's fine and that's your right. What you don't have the right to do is try and tell somebody else how they should look at things.

Marino had 0, that's true. He could have had a Championship, IMO, if he had been more about the team and less about the passing. Marino was a great QB but, he was all about throwing the ball and he didn't give to craps about being able to run the ball. If he had been more flexible about that, I think he probably could have won a championship but he didn't. It's as simple as that to me.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
maybe now but who knows how quick or long it takes a person to learn or adjust sometimes it takes just seeing it and experience is the best teacher hands down..

everybody's instincts are not the same and most times the plays never goes exactly like its suppose to anyway so who knows Lynch cool but id rather do what the rams did next year for QB Watson in Clemson...

we can build this squad some more over all and then trade and get Watson dude we in the playoffs every year when he take over but that's wishful big picture thinking
The team this year already had a young QB so they were open to trade their #1 pick. Who's to say next year the team holding the first pick doesn't wants him themselves and not be open to trading that pick.

So even though you are apparently cool to mortgage future drafts by paying a ridiculous price next year - you might not get that opportunity. Just go with Lynch this year if Goff/Wentz are off the board and be good with it without mortgaging future drafts

kazzd58

Reaction score
The team this year already had a young QB so they were open to trade their #1 pick. Who's to say next year the team holding the first pick doesn't wants him themselves and not be open to trading that pick.

So even though you are apparently cool to mortgage future drafts by paying a ridiculous price next year - you might not get that opportunity. Just go with Lynch this year if Goff/Wentz are off the board and be good with it without mortgaging future drafts

ok I hope that's the case I hope its a lot of questions about him so we can grab him but there wont hes still going #1 its not gonna be Fournette .... soooooo this is how I look at it are you trying to win or just grab a qb this year because its hot right now and hope we compete?

I bet Watson wont have the type of questions coming into the league next year as these qbs this year you already here the praise of him now and the bandwagoners starting to come along who use to say he cldnt throw either ok, watch the tape hes better than every QB in tis draft right now as a jr in college ..

we got young players still developing so we'll see how that turns out but what the Rams just did for a supposedly small school qb trading up to #1 pick for and this QB broke records against Alabama which is the closes NFL caliber Defense you gonna play in the College and he did it without his best wr and another solid wr got sent home before the bowl and still broke records in the national championship game

I just trust my insitincts and eyes most than others and I be right waaaaaayyyy more than not on players im adamant about

so yea I will take that chance with Watson yup sure would and not think twice

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I can absolutely do that. If you want to use other criteria, that's fine and that's your right. What you don't have the right to do is try and tell somebody else how they should look at things.

Marino had 0, that's true. He could have had a Championship, IMO, if he had been more about the team and less about the passing. Marino was a great QB but, he was all about throwing the ball and he didn't give to craps about being able to run the ball. If he had been more flexible about that, I think he probably could have won a championship but he didn't. It's as simple as that to me.

Your saying Marino isn't hall of Fame worthy because he didn't win any championships? Is Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson a HOF QB cause they won championships? Are Dilfer and Johnson better then Marino, Tarkenton and Romo since championships are your deciding factor?

If you said yes then I can't carry a conversation with you. You have the right to think anything you want. .....doesn't make it right though. Good day

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Your saying Marino isn't hall of Fame worthy because he didn't win any championships? Is Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson a HOF QB cause they won championships? Are Dilfer and Johnson better then Marino, Tarkenton and Romo since championships are your deciding factor?

If you said yes then I can't carry a conversation with you. You have the right to think anything you want. .....doesn't make it right though. Good day

What the heck are you reading? I never said this. But you are right, we can't discuss this.

DFWJC

Reaction score
fwiw

Scouts Inc has Lynch as the 41st ranked player in the draft.

NFL Draft Scout has him as the 27th best. So better

I searched several scouting service and finally found....
Drafttec ...who has him all the way up at 13th best player. the highest

Not saying any of them are right, but take him 4th overall?
Just sayin'

Last edited:

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Lynch's personality a lot.

Sure, he's goofy looking, but when you listen to him talk, he's cool, laid back and appears intelligent. Reminds me of Romo in all of the above.

I think he'll be able to handle the stress of the NFL and really handle coaching well.

Probably too raw, in terms of reading defenses, to go at 4. But I'd take him in a all trade down

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

Replace Dilfer with Marino. Does that Ravens team still win the SB? If so, how is it an objective measure of ability between the two?

You're welcome to judge football players however you like, obviously. It just seems odd to measure complex happenings with such a simple lense.

Using your logic, Peyton Manning was the only QB to acomplish anything this year. Anyone who watched him play knows that his team won dispite his play, not because of it.