Paxton Lynch with 4th overall

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Because the Rams have increased the value of every quarterback in the draft by paying such a high premium for a chance to take one.

I think the point is that the market has now been set. In any future draft, any team wanting to trade up is going to have to pay market.

What is market? The team asking for the picks will say the RG3 and Rams trade set the market for now on.

If our team is going to be picking in the 20 range until Romo retires, we are going to have to either take some project QBs or pay the price to move up. So a lot of fans are saying it will be much cheaper to use the 4th pick on a QB than to have to pony up 5 or 6 picks a couple of years from now.

And for everybody saying just draft a QB in the mid to late first round......DUH.....if it was that simple, why the hell do teams keep paying a fortune to move up? All the other teams in the league are not stupid, there is a reason top QB prospects go in the top 5. The only way a QB slides is because there is something wrong with him that scares a lot of teams away. Maybe that can be fixed and maybe it cant, that is why they are still available in the 20s.

Swagnutboyz

Reaction score
Ask yourself, after After Wentz, Goff & Lynch would you use a high pick for any other qb prospects? and sure as he'll you'd probably just wasting a pick if you're picking up a flyer midround to late. D prospects in rounds 2-4 are heck of a lot better than any QB's in those rounds. Don't get cute, take your future qb @ 4

Qbert

Reaction score
if the cowboys determine that lynch is a franchise qb then i have no problem if they take him at 4. Remember Fredrick was a major reach and hes one of the best centers in the nfl.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the point is that the market has now been set. In any future draft, any team wanting to trade up is going to have to pay market.

What is market? The team asking for the picks will say the RG3 and Rams trade set the market for now on.

If our team is going to be picking in the 20 range until Romo retires, we are going to have to either take some project QBs or pay the price to move up. So a lot of fans are saying it will be much cheaper to use the 4th pick on a QB than to have to pony up 5 or 6 picks a couple of years from now.

And for everybody saying just draft a QB in the mid to late first round......DUH.....if it was that simple, why the hell do teams keep paying a fortune to move up? All the other teams in the league are not stupid, there is a reason top QB prospects go in the top 5. The only way a QB slides is because there is something wrong with him that scares a lot of teams away. Maybe that can be fixed and maybe it cant, that is why they are still available in the 20s.
Two things

First, all the Commanders and Rams did was pay within +/- 10% of what the trade chart says. (Rams paid about 2700 for 3000). That charts been around a long time so it's no new market being set. Granted, we all know the chart isn't exact, but it's clear it or something similar is used by all teams.

Second, I think you'll find that you can pick out side of the top 5 in the 1st round and find a QB without going for projects. In fact 9 of the last 11 SB winning QBs were taken after 6.
Now if you're taking QBs outside the 1st round...and especially much later, your odds go down, though there's always exceptions.
Almost all QBs have perceived flaws (certainly this year's group does) but many years there's at least one team that falls in love with one of them and values them as top 5 worthy.
May not be the right one....time will tell.

Last edited:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Two things

First, all the Commanders and Rams did was pay within +/- 10% of what the trade chart says. (Rams paid about 2700 for 3000). That charts been around a long time so it's no new market being set. Granted, we all know the chart isn't exact, but it's clear it or something similar is used by all teams.

Second, I think you'll find that you can pick out side of the top 5 in the 1st round and find a QB without going for projects. In fact 9 of the last 11 SB winning QBs were taken after 6.
Now if you're taking QBs outside the 1st round...and especially much later, your odds go down, though there's always exceptions.
Almost all QBs have perceived flaws (certainly this year's group does) but many years there's at least one team that falls in love with one of them and values them as top 5 worthy.
May not be the right one....time will tell.

It still would be cheaper value wise to take that chance now. You are hoping a guy with enough potential fall to you in the future? We have a guy with enough potential staring at us right now, whether that be Wentz, Goff,or Lynch.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Replace Dilfer with Marino. Does that Ravens team still win the SB? If so, how is it an objective measure of ability between the two?

You're welcome to judge football players however you like, obviously. It just seems odd to measure complex happenings with such a simple lense.

Using your logic, Peyton Manning was the only QB to acomplish anything this year. Anyone who watched him play knows that his team won dispite his play, not because of it.

Do you think for one second anyone is going to remember anything a QB from this year accomplished two years from now, besides Peyton. Hell I'm hard pressed to come up with something now and the season has only been over a couple of months.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It still would be cheaper value wise to take that chance now. You are hoping a guy with enough potential fall to you in the future? We have a guy with enough potential staring at us right now, whether that be Wentz, Goff,or Lynch.

If you spend a 4th overall pick instead of one in the 15-20 range it is more expensive, way more. Not less.
Lynch especially, is rated in the 20-40 range as far as best players. Granted, the QBs do get pushed up at times, but prospects rated in that range generally can be had way cheaper than at 4th overall.

But in the end, I guess it's how Dallas rates them and not the scouting services.
Most NFL teams use those services, but some far less than others.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
If you spend a 4th overall pick instead of one in the 15-20 range it is more expensive, way more. Not less.
Lynch especially, is rated in the 20-40 range as far as best players. Granted, the QBs do get pushed up at times, but prospects rated in that range generally can be had way cheaper than at 4th overall.

But in the end, I guess it's how Dallas rates them and not the scouting services.
Most NFL teams use those services, but some far less than others.

Let's compare the results of the actual draft to the predictions of these pre-draft rankings and see the results. The fact that these player's ranking fluctuate so much between experts should let you know it is all really just a crap shoot.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Ask yourself, after After Wentz, Goff & Lynch would you use a high pick for any other qb prospects? and sure as he'll you'd probably just wasting a pick if you're picking up a flyer midround to late. D prospects in rounds 2-4 are heck of a lot better than any QB's in those rounds. Don't get cute, take your future qb @ 4

Exactly, it's either one of the big 3 or don't bother, the rest are career backups

DFWJC

Reaction score
Exactly, it's either one of the big 3 or don't bother, the rest are career backups

Kind of like Russell Wilson was after Luck, RG3, and Tannahill?

Lol
I know what you mean...j/k

I will say this, the 2nd and 3rd tier QBs in this class are much better than most years

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The Rams' move to #1 shows me that at least one team believes there is a huge drop-off after the first 2 QBs. It's more than likely that view is shared by the majority of NFL teams. If so, it makes absolutely no sense to REACH for Lynch at #4.

fishspill

Reaction score
No to Lynch at #4. Before the process started the question about Lynch was if he had the smarts to do the job. He's done little to calm those fears from what I read.

That could be a smokescreen though. If he does seem he can pick up the nuances of the NFL game I'd give him a shot. I'm not feeling #4 however.

Qbert

Reaction score
The Rams' move to #1 shows me that at least one team believes there is a huge drop-off after the first 2 QBs. It's more than likely that view is shared by the majority of NFL teams. If so, it makes absolutely no sense to REACH for Lynch at #4.

who is to say they didnt think all 3 would be gone with cle, dal, sf, and phi maybe taking one and even outliers sd and chicago?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Listen to the draftniks, there is a huge difference between Goff and Wentz in comparison to Lynch. Just say no without a significant trade down.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Do you think for one second anyone is going to remember anything a QB from this year accomplished two years from now, besides Peyton. Hell I'm hard pressed to come up with something now and the season has only been over a couple of months.

Yes. People will remember Cam's MVP season. Those matter.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

Not necessarily, they could just have realized that none of the top three would be there at the 15th slot, and just went for the guarantee.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Yes. People will remember Cam's MVP season. Those matter.

It may matter for Cam's personal legacy when more accomplishments are added. But most will not look back at it from that perspective, those that are Carolina or Cam fans are the only ones that his season will really resonate with.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
It may matter for Cam's personal legacy when more accomplishments are added. But most will not look back at it from that perspective, those that are Carolina or Cam fans are the only ones that his season will really resonate with.

I don't know a single non-Dolphin fan who remembers Dan Marino. Everyone I know remembers Trent Dilfer./s