Pay Dak, he certainly deserves it

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Examples of what? It's like you don't listen. Cousins got signed by Minnesota because they believed that they were a QB away. They believed that he could win them a championship now. That's why they paid him. And BTW, it's a short term deal. It's 3 years with an average of 28 per year. I mean, if you want to sign Dak to that type of deal, I'm all in on that. Is that what you want? I personally think that would be a great situation for Dak but it's not long term guaranteed money.

Garoppolo is another example of a short term deal with no long term security. He signed a 5 year 137 mil deal, which is really only a two year deal. His average salary was like 27 mil, he got 41 mil up front, he made 37 last year but going forward, he is at 19 mil, 26 mil, 26 mil and 27 mil but in reality, SF can be out of the contract in 2021 with only a 2.8 mil dead cap hit. His deal is not long term. Again, it's a short term deal with a lot of up front payout to make it very easy for the team to just get out of the deal. If that's what you want for Dak, I'm all for it. And let me ask you, what drove that deal? A situation where their existing starter looked great early but leveled off and was a complete PR nightmare and distraction to the team. That's why Garoppolo got that deal to begin with. It wasn't because the going rate was 30 mil, which he never ever got as an average salary. Bad cap management is what forced that deal. Now we got guys like you trying to turn it into some kind of ludicrous statement that says it's how the NFL works. Well no, it's not. It's how it works if you are stupid and don't manage your cap. Is that who you want to be here in Dallas?

What post did you answer my question in? I'm very curious to read it all.

OK:

Bengals
Ravens
Dolphins
Broncos
Raiders
Bucks

Bengals - Bengals only have 20 Mil in cap space. Now, that is before any of their Draft Picks get signed or the practice squad is accounted for. More then that, they have maybe the most team friendly contract of any team in the NFL at starting QB, for Dalton. If you were the Bengals, would you spend on a huge QB deal while you have an experienced QB on the Roster and having just drafted Finely to develop? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Add to that, they would have to give something up to get Dak. What do you think the Cowboys are going to ask for here? You see the Bengals giving up those picks and paying out that huge increase in salary? I don't see that. Why would they, they aren't close so Dak aint putting them over the top.

Dolphins - Fins have 26 Mil in cap space available, prior to signing everything. More importantly, they just picked up Rosen and they have Fitzpatrick on the roster. Fins, between both QBs have like 29 mil invested in cap space between these two QBs. Why on earth would the Fins want to go out and spend 30 mil plus on Dak if you are the Fins? I mean, that makes no sense at all. Why would they do that?

Ravens - Currently have Griffin III on contract but it's for something like 4.5 mill over two years. That's not really all that big of a deal but what is a bigger deal is that they just drafted Lamar Jackson in the first round and I don't see them just cutting him loose. They aren't going to sign Dak for 30 Mil plus, give up the draft picks it would take and just cut Jackson free. Besides, they only have like 12 mil in cap space so they would have to find away to come up with at least 8 mil more.

Broncos - Denver has a little over 5 mil in cap space. They have just traded for Joe Flacco. They are on the hook for 18 plus mil this upcoming season and that number goes up from there. They just took Drew Lock with a 2nd. I don't see how they could or would be able to pay 30 mil plus for Dak, plus give up the picks or give up on Lock before he's even gotten a chance.

Raiders - Raiders have Carr and Dak is not an upgrade there. Carr is cheaper and he's locked in for 22 mil next season, Raiders just picked up his option. He's not going anywhere, unless they trade him but why would they trade Carr only to go out and spend more money on a QB who may not be as good? They hold all the cards with Carr and they have a lot of holes on that team. They have the cap but they don't have the cap to sign a player like Dak and surround him with talent. If that's the plan, then why invest 30 mil plus in a QB who needs talent that you can no longer afford?

Bucks I covered earlier. they are in no position to sign Dak.

In short, anything could happen but I don't see any of these teams wanting or even being able to sign Dak and having it be a positive, in terms of their team situation.
You have no idea what cap space those teams will have next year. Clearing cap space is nothing to do by next year.

Are you going to answer my questions?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't disagree and I think we both saying the same thing. I am not making excuses, I just presented facts, reality. and I also pointed the fact that we can't look at a one year sample, like 2018.

and that was my point, I am not pointing fingers at defense when we started the discussion. I pointed fingers at offense, defense and coaching. the debacle in LA wasn't just on defense. I was shocked by all of it. we just didn't look good in any phase of the game until the 4th quarter, when it didn't matter.
I agree. They all took part in that L.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Out of the kindness of his heart, no, but I can name several who took less because the market didn't bear what they asked for. In fact, almost every single one of them took less then what they asked for, after negotiation. I mean, that can't be a serious question. How old are you?

So let me get this straight. You are in favor of having Dak wait for yet another year, and let me just explain something to you here, even if he does that, he will likely not get a contract for 30 mil. Instead of taking what the market will bare, you are in favor of him not signing a deal and going at least another year on his rookie contract correct? You think, evidently, that it's a good idea for him to play for 2 mil next season and lose out on 20 plus mil so that he can make an extra 3 to 5 mil a season? You think that it's a good idea to make this decision and create a situation where it would take Dak 2 to 3 additional years (maybe more) to make back what he leaves on the table if he doesn't sign. Is that what you think he should do? Seriously? What do you think happens if the Cowboys just pull the deal off the table and have him play out his contract and then Franchise him? How much money do you think he will lose if that happens? This can not be what you are suggesting so what am I missing here? That is not a good plan. That's not even realistic.

What was the original post where you named all the teams you thought would spend 30 Mil plus to sign Dak please?

Last edited: