Penalties 2021

Croomraider

Reaction score
Dallas led the NFL in 2021 with 127 penalties.
Post-season high 14 in their loss to the niners.

You can argue "undisciplined", bad coaching, etc and that's true for every blatant off-sides penalty.... However, there were tons of holding penalties, pass interference calls which are usually subjective. Penalties that completely ruin drives, ruin games. Refs love throwing their yellow handkerchiefs against the Cowboys more than any team they see all year. **Again See 127 flags in 2021, most in the NFL**

Connor Williams had 17 penalties in 2021. I'll bet money now that he's not on the Cowboys, his penalties become a non-factor.

Is this a full blown conspiracy out against the Cowboys?? Not quite, as refs want to keep their jobs and surely aren't conspiring a planned attempt to keep the Cowboys franchise down. However, individually speaking.... I'd bet money that if you polled every NFL official on what team they hate the most.... DING DING DING!

Cowboys have had more penalties than their opponent in almost every playoff game in the last decade. I looked at all of them.

One of the few games the Cowboys had fewer was the 2014 playoff game against the Packers. lol the infamous game where...... Ruling on the field is a CATCH!! RULING ON THE FIELD! Indisputable evidence says it's not a catch!! (New York Review Offices)
Years later they say they were wrong, shortly after same play happened in the Eagles super bowl win, which they some how said it WAS A CATCH! Therefore, they admitted being wrong on the Dez play. Wait wait wait wait........ So Refs were wrong on the Dez catch and admitted it, yet the Ruling on the Field said it was a catch and the review team, not even the refs, say it was not a catch!

Rant over but at least understand when you're watching the Cowboys continue to struggle in 2022, we're not just playing against another team! We're also playing against the "Zebras"!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You can argue "undisciplined", bad coaching, etc and that's true for every blatant off-sides penalty.... However, there were tons of holding penalties, pass interference calls which are usually subjective. Penalties that completely ruin drives, ruin games. Refs love throwing their yellow handkerchiefs against the Cowboys more than any team they see all year. **Again See 127 flags in 2021, most in the NFL**

Connor Williams had 17 penalties in 2021. I'll bet money now that he's not on the Cowboys, his penalties become a non-factor.

Is this a full blown conspiracy out against the Cowboys?? Not quite, as refs want to keep their jobs and surely aren't conspiring a planned attempt to keep the Cowboys franchise down. However, individually speaking.... I'd bet money that if you polled every NFL official on what team they hate the most.... DING DING DING!

Cowboys have had more penalties than their opponent in almost every playoff game in the last decade. I looked at all of them.

One of the few games the Cowboys had fewer was the 2014 playoff game against the Packers. lol the infamous game where...... Ruling on the field is a CATCH!! RULING ON THE FIELD! Indisputable evidence says it's not a catch!! (New York Review Offices)
Years later they say they were wrong, shortly after same play happened in the Eagles super bowl win, which they some how said it WAS A CATCH! Therefore, they admitted being wrong on the Dez play. Wait wait wait wait........ So Refs were wrong on the Dez catch and admitted it, yet the Ruling on the Field said it was a catch and the review team, not even the refs, say it was not a catch!

Rant over but at least understand when you're watching the Cowboys continue to struggle in 2022, we're not just playing against another team! We're also playing against the "Zebras"!
If you want a conspiracy theory...

• It was well documented that the Packers taught their OLinemen a technique that is technically holding, but that the refs normally don't call.
    • Similar to the Legion of Boom defensive coverage, they continued to use an illegal technique assuming the refs would stop calling penalties for it.
    • The NFL does not like refs to call too many penalties per game because the NFL does not want to the game times to get too long.
    • Many NFL fans already believe that Green Bay gets favorable treatment by the refs.
    • Many NFL fans believe some teams (Cowboys, etc.) get un-favorable treatment by the refs.
  • Connor Williams had an average number of penalties until 2021.
    • 2021 was CW's first full off-season with Philbin/McCarthy (2020 was the Covid year).
    • He was repeatedly penalized for using the Green Bay type holding technique.
    • Philbin did not want to bench CW because he knew that the GB technique was the reason for his penalties.
    • Eventually, management said enough-is-enough and they benched CW for McGovern.
    • There were multiple reports that Philbin 'did not like' McGovern.
    • After 4 games, CW regained the starting role.
    • After returning, he averaged less than 1 penalty per game.
  • Veterans like Zack Martin were unlikely to change their technique regardless of the OL coach.
    • The young players were most likely to implement the GB holding technique.
    • 2021 Penalties:
      • Biadasz: 10
      • Steele: 8
      • CW: 3x more than in seasons before Philbin/McCarthy arrived.

Conclusion: GB didn't get overly penalized for using the GB holding technique, but Dallas OLinemen did get penalized for it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the other side of the tin foil, I didn't see many that weren't earned and quite a few that should have been called.

The Raiders never won a SB not leading the league in penalties and a lot of the PF variety.

Either a team overcomes penalties or they do not. The Raiders did, the Cowboys did not.

If you ask most people, and I have, that do not like the Cowboys, most of the time that stems from their fans and most of the time it's because of excuse making when getting beaten. Like blaming the refs.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the other side of the tin foil, I didn't see many that weren't earned and quite a few that should have been called.

The Raiders never won a SB not leading the league in penalties and a lot of the PF variety.

Either a team overcomes penalties or they do not. The Raiders did, the Cowboys did not.

If you ask most people, and I have, that do not like the Cowboys, most of the time that stems from their fans and most of the time it's because of excuse making when getting beaten. Like blaming the refs.
All fans make excuses....the fans that don't like us, probably stems from the fact than many of our own fans, mock and ridicule the team that they are supposed to root for... many of our own FANS hate the Cowboys....that's the sad and funny part. Rooting against Dak, Zeke, Tank, MM, Jerry, etc..... some of our fans openly mock and hate on our own.......whatever, it's a never ending, frustrating and fruitless discussion. To each, their own.

Motorola

Reaction score

Was it the 2020 or the 2019 season when for 10 consecutive games Cowboys' opponents were not flagged for offensive holding?

Motorola

Reaction score

Raiders were 2nd in penalties with 124, and first in yardage penalized with 1104, Cowboys 2nd with 1103.
DAL and LAV had 5 of the 10 most penalized players last season -
Williams 1st, three Raiders were 4th, 6th, 8th
La`el Collins 10th.

1st 12 most penalized are OLinemen, also 15th & 16th
13th was a TE
14th was 1st defensive player - DT
17th most penalized and first CB\S was Cowboys' Diggs

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raiders were 2nd in penalties with 124, and first in yardage penalized with 1104, Cowboys 2nd with 1103.
DAL and LAV had 5 of the 10 most penalized players last season -
Williams 1st, three Raiders were 3rd, 6th, 8th
La`el Collins 10th.

So our 2 highest penalty guys are gone. Let's see it it was them or the refs. :muttley::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: a triple bagger...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
All fans make excuses....the fans that don't like us, probably stems from the fact than many of our own fans, mock and ridicule the team that they are supposed to root for... many of our own FANS hate the Cowboys....that's the sad and funny part. Rooting against Dak, Zeke, Tank, MM, Jerry, etc..... some of our fans openly mock and hate on our own.......whatever, it's a never ending, frustrating and fruitless discussion. To each, their own.

Nah.

It’s the mentally weak that create an emotional crutch, blaming outside forces (the refs/NFL) to explain the failures of the team they root for on field. It helps sooth their hurt feelings.

Every fanbase has a fringe element of these conspiracy theorists.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I don't think our team whining about it helps.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
LOL. It's in the offseason now.

You're conveniently wrong. The league never "admitted" being wrong on the Dez play. As that rule had burned a few teams, they agreed to modify the rule's structure afterwards. As I've shown to people over and over on here, that call was correctly overturned because the ruling official was shielded from seeing the ball touch the ground which the reverse replay clearly showed and was at the center of the rule. The rule at the time was applied correctly. Today it would be a catch not an admission that it called wrong before. Emotion creates things, doesn't it?

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess that depends on how fans define the team. I do not include ownership or management in the team. I didn't with Murchison and Schramm either.

And some fans are just laundry fans and don't care who is wearing it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Like this one I peddled all last season that won us this game? Never heard any good answers except D-Nile. Lol.