Penalties 2021

J_Allen

Reaction score
Sure you can but I'm saying it was the perfect chance to make a shoddy call to save the Patriots but they didn't. 2 games against the Giants they didn't. If they are biased for the Patriots, they don't cease to be on the payroll, right?

They probably bet on the game. Who knows.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Hahahah that article’s from 2010. I wonder why you didn’t seek anything more recent.
:laugh:

What are you heeehawing about?

You said Mike McCarthy coached teams (prior to the Cowboys) were some the least penalized to try and highlight the fact you think there is bias now that he’s with the Cowboys.

The article shows three specific years McCarthy’s Packers we’re some of the most penalized teams.

Now you’re trying to pivot and act like recency somehow invalidates the point. Man up and just accept you’re wrong.

BE9772-C9-6-A93-460-A-B480-EEF627-F2-A0-D2.jpg

Last edited:

Nav22

Reaction score
What are you heeehawing about?

You said Mike McCarthy coached teams (prior to the Cowboys) were some the least penalized to try and highlight the fact you think there is bias now that he’s with the Cowboys.

The article shows three specific years McCarthy’s Packers we’re some of the most penalized teams.

Now you’re trying to pivot and act like decency somehow invalidates the point. Man up and just accept you’re wrong.

BE9772-C9-6-A93-460-A-B480-EEF627-F2-A0-D2.jpg
You’re ignorant, either willfully or not.

Go seek the Packers penalty ranks from 2011-18, if you dare.

The most RECENT 8 years that McCarthy coached there, rather than the first 3 years he coached there.

Then you’ll see that I’m right.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You’re ignorant, either willfully or not.

Go seek the Packers penalty ranks from 2011-18, if you dare.

The most RECENT 8 years that McCarthy coached there, rather than the first 3 years he coached there.

Then you’ll see that I’m right.

No you don’t.

We’re the Packers coached by McCarthy or not in 2007-2009?

Yes or no?

Explain why those years don’t count.

What you’re really trying to do is parse the data until it says what you want it to.

McCarthy’s Packers teams were some of the most penalized teams (Top 5) in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

In 2012, 2015, and 2018 they finished right around the middle for most penalties, so you’re either being lazy or deceptive in hoping nobody would actually check the data.

In fact, the only year they were in the Bottom 5 in the NFL of least penalized teams was 2011.

Either way, your original point is flatly wrong.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I sure don't. I tend to focus on my own team.

BTW, you've added so much to this thread. Thanks for showing up.

Go figure. You focus on your team but you’re utterly convinced the league is out to screw the Cowboys.

Thanks for that. It’s hard to follow up hard hitting objective arguments like “Anyone who says the refs don't have it out for the Cowboys is blind.”

J_Allen

Reaction score
Thanks for that. It’s hard to follow up hard hitting objective arguments like “Anyone who says the refs don't have it out for the Cowboys is blind.”

Yeah and same for the luuuulz... Very, very deep.

Carry on. You actually did offer something interesting on the post right above my original post. So I know you have it in you.

Edit, not my original, original post. It's actually on this page.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Here you go:

You lose.

Oooohhhhhh, so now you’re focused on penalty yards, luuuuulz.

You can’t even keep up with your own bunk claims.

Explain why 2010-2018 is relevant but not the four seasons prior (2006-2009)?

All you’ve done is manage to perpetuate Mosher’s braindead analysis.

Go ahead, we’ll all wait for the next pivot.

Nav22

Reaction score
Oooohhhhhh, so now you’re focused on penalty yards, luuuuulz.

You can’t even keep up with your own bunk claims.

Explain why 2010-2018 is relevant but not the four seasons prior (2006-2009)?

All you’ve done is manage to perpetuate Mosher’s braindead analysis.

Go ahead, we’ll all wait for the next pivot.
You either didn’t know about how VASTLY different the data looked after 2010... or you did know, and that’s why you found an article from 2010.

In either event, you lose.

CWR

Reaction score
If you want a conspiracy theory...

• It was well documented that the Packers taught their OLinemen a technique that is technically holding, but that the refs normally don't call.
    • Similar to the Legion of Boom defensive coverage, they continued to use an illegal technique assuming the refs would stop calling penalties for it.
    • The NFL does not like refs to call too many penalties per game because the NFL does not want to the game times to get too long.
    • Many NFL fans already believe that Green Bay gets favorable treatment by the refs.
    • Many NFL fans believe some teams (Cowboys, etc.) get un-favorable treatment by the refs.
  • Connor Williams had an average number of penalties until 2021.
    • 2021 was CW's first full off-season with Philbin/McCarthy (2020 was the Covid year).
    • He was repeatedly penalized for using the Green Bay type holding technique.
    • Philbin did not want to bench CW because he knew that the GB technique was the reason for his penalties.
    • Eventually, management said enough-is-enough and they benched CW for McGovern.
    • There were multiple reports that Philbin 'did not like' McGovern.
    • After 4 games, CW regained the starting role.
    • After returning, he averaged less than 1 penalty per game.
  • Veterans like Zack Martin were unlikely to change their technique regardless of the OL coach.
    • The young players were most likely to implement the GB holding technique.
    • 2021 Penalties:
      • Biadasz: 10
      • Steele: 8
      • CW: 3x more than in seasons before Philbin/McCarthy arrived.

Conclusion: GB didn't get overly penalized for using the GB holding technique, but Dallas OLinemen did get penalized for it.

Yeah, funny how MM had one of the least penalized teams in GB, then he comes to Dallas and all the sudden he coaches a sloppy, undisciplined team who leads the league in penalties.

Nothing to see here, we are all crazy conspiracy theorists for believing a bias exists.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Go figure. You focus on your team but you’re utterly convinced the league is out to screw the Cowboys.

What's your deal today?

I watch plenty of NFL games but I don't keep track of who caught what football on their helmet and when it happened. I vaguely remember something like that happening it just didn't register to me as a big deal so I forgot it. Sorry about that.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm not into a conspiracy theory as to the refs, that would require way too much coordination and mutual cooperation among them. Any psychological implication would be a reach as well.

When three of the top ten penalty magnets play for the same team it becomes pretty clear where the issue originates from. Then again, what would you expect, discipline and accountability?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
No matter what you believe in, it was pretty clear the refs had it out for Dallas last year, for whatever the reason. It started with Game 1. Lavonte David rips his helmet off in frustration in the middle of the field. Not a peep. Literally 2 weeks later I am watching another NFL game and the exact same thing happens. Every ref in that proximity was throwing their flag. Pretty clear cut foul IMO, yet, for some reason it was cool for a team to do it against the Cowboys.

I've never been a "it's the refs" kind of person, but last year kind of changed me. For the first time in my life, I actually wondered if the NFL does actually tilt games.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah, funny how MM had one of the least penalized teams in GB, then he comes to Dallas and all the sudden he coaches a sloppy, undisciplined team who leads the league in penalties.

Nothing to see here, we are all crazy conspiracy theorists for believing a bias exists.

With all the talk around here about "the culture" at The Star where Jerry is the real boss and undermines the coaches' attempts at enforcing accountability by coddling and appeasing players, you don't think it could be that and it results in undisciplined play? It always has to be a dastardly source from the outside hell bent on making sure we fail? You don't think management does a good enough job already?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You either didn’t know about how VASTLY different the data looked after 2010... or you did know, and that’s why you found an article from 2010.

In either event, you lose.

That's what I thought; completely sidestep the questions and actual evidence.

You don't even know the difference between penalties (total number) and penalty yards, luuuuuulz

Now go clock back into work and finish putting away the boxes.

:lmao:

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No matter what you believe in, it was pretty clear the refs had it out for Dallas last year, for whatever the reason. It started with Game 1. Lavonte David rips his helmet off in frustration in the middle of the field. Not a peep. Literally 2 weeks later I am watching another NFL game and the exact same thing happens. Every ref in that proximity was throwing their flag. Pretty clear cut foul IMO, yet, for some reason it was cool for a team to do it against the Cowboys.

I've never been a "it's the refs" kind of person, but last year kind of changed me. For the first time in my life, I actually wondered if the NFL does actually tilt games.

Did this missed call tilt a game in our favor? Happens to every team.

Nav22

Reaction score
That's what I thought; completely sidestep the questions and actual evidence.

You don't even know the difference between penalties (total number) and penalty yards, luuuuuulz

Now go clock back into work and finish putting away the boxes.

:lmao:
I point out that McCarthy’s Packers teams were routinely among the least penalized.

You link an article from a dozen years ago to combat this notion.

I expose your little ruse... turns out the data from 2010 on is VASTLY different than before 2010. You probably knew that before you linked that hilariously outdated article, didn’t you?

You’re not fooling anyone.

And only an idiot might think there’s a world of difference between discussing “penalties” and “penalty yards”.

You’re reaching because you caught an L.

I’m sorry that I embarrassed you.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: