Penalties 2021

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
If you want a conspiracy theory...

• It was well documented that the Packers taught their OLinemen a technique that is technically holding, but that the refs normally don't call.
    • Similar to the Legion of Boom defensive coverage, they continued to use an illegal technique assuming the refs would stop calling penalties for it.
    • The NFL does not like refs to call too many penalties per game because the NFL does not want to the game times to get too long.
    • Many NFL fans already believe that Green Bay gets favorable treatment by the refs.
    • Many NFL fans believe some teams (Cowboys, etc.) get un-favorable treatment by the refs.
  • Connor Williams had an average number of penalties until 2021.
    • 2021 was CW's first full off-season with Philbin/McCarthy (2020 was the Covid year).
    • He was repeatedly penalized for using the Green Bay type holding technique.
    • Philbin did not want to bench CW because he knew that the GB technique was the reason for his penalties.
    • Eventually, management said enough-is-enough and they benched CW for McGovern.
    • There were multiple reports that Philbin 'did not like' McGovern.
    • After 4 games, CW regained the starting role.
    • After returning, he averaged less than 1 penalty per game.
  • Veterans like Zack Martin were unlikely to change their technique regardless of the OL coach.
    • The young players were most likely to implement the GB holding technique.
    • 2021 Penalties:
      • Biadasz: 10
      • Steele: 8
      • CW: 3x more than in seasons before Philbin/McCarthy arrived.
Conclusion: GB didn't get overly penalized for using the GB holding technique, but Dallas OLinemen did get penalized for it.

I believe this is what McCarthy was talking about when he said that he would address the penalties in the off season. Obv having people change techniques mid season isn't a good strategy regardless of how bad it is, so changing up in the off season is the better approach. So these minicamps and pre season will say alot about whether Philbin will change how the young guys block to not get called for holding

J_Allen

Reaction score
Anyone who says the refs don't have it out for the Cowboys is blind.

Look at the Thanksgiving Day game they ruined last year. Look at the playoff game against Green Bay where they didn't call one holding penalty against their offensive line. They were grabbing David Irving around the neck on Roger's game-winning drive. No call.

I've never seen so many big plays getting called back against other teams. And the flag is thrown after the fact. After the touchdown they throw the flag. Our number one culprit is gone and thank God for that, but look for the penalties to continue. Especially after the comments that Dak made.

I'm telling you, if I'm as powerful as Jerry I'm sending these refs of warning after they pull those stunts. You all go to regular jobs after the season. Just remember that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Look at the Thanksgiving Day game they ruined last year. Look at the playoff game against Green Bay where they didn't call one holding penalty against their offensive line. They were grabbing David Irving around the neck on Roger's game-winning drive. No call.

I've never seen so many big plays getting called back against other teams. And the flag is thrown after the fact. After the touchdown they throw the flag. Our number one culprit is gone and thank God for that, but look for the penalties to continue. Especially after the comments that Dak made.

I'm telling you, if I'm as powerful as Jerry I'm sending these refs of warning after they pull those stunts. You all go to regular jobs after the season. Just remember that.

Luuuulz.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah.

It’s the mentally weak that create an emotional crutch, blaming outside forces (the refs/NFL) to explain the failures of the team they root for on field. It helps sooth their hurt feelings.

Every fanbase has a fringe element of these conspiracy theorists.
Well, if you've been on the field or the sidelines, I will respect your opinion....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess that depends on how fans define the team. I do not include ownership or management in the team. I didn't with Murchison and Schramm either.

And some fans are just laundry fans and don't care who is wearing it.
Yes sir....fans are different....we have fans that know the game and fans that don't...we have fans that respect the players and fans that don't....we have fans that are called homers and some that are called haters....at the end of the day, we're all fans.

817Gill

Reaction score
If you want a conspiracy theory...

• It was well documented that the Packers taught their OLinemen a technique that is technically holding, but that the refs normally don't call.
    • Similar to the Legion of Boom defensive coverage, they continued to use an illegal technique assuming the refs would stop calling penalties for it.
    • The NFL does not like refs to call too many penalties per game because the NFL does not want to the game times to get too long.
    • Many NFL fans already believe that Green Bay gets favorable treatment by the refs.
    • Many NFL fans believe some teams (Cowboys, etc.) get un-favorable treatment by the refs.
  • Connor Williams had an average number of penalties until 2021.
    • 2021 was CW's first full off-season with Philbin/McCarthy (2020 was the Covid year).
    • He was repeatedly penalized for using the Green Bay type holding technique.
    • Philbin did not want to bench CW because he knew that the GB technique was the reason for his penalties.
    • Eventually, management said enough-is-enough and they benched CW for McGovern.
    • There were multiple reports that Philbin 'did not like' McGovern.
    • After 4 games, CW regained the starting role.
    • After returning, he averaged less than 1 penalty per game.
  • Veterans like Zack Martin were unlikely to change their technique regardless of the OL coach.
    • The young players were most likely to implement the GB holding technique.
    • 2021 Penalties:
      • Biadasz: 10
      • Steele: 8
      • CW: 3x more than in seasons before Philbin/McCarthy arrived.
Conclusion: GB didn't get overly penalized for using the GB holding technique, but Dallas OLinemen did get penalized for it.
I think that had a lot to do with Rodgers

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Look at the "missed" facemask out in the wide open that won us this game

Look at the "missed" fumble that changed momentum in the Panthers game we won

It's almost as if refs miss calls all around, don't they? Lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe this is what McCarthy was talking about when he said that he would address the penalties in the off season. Obv having people change techniques mid season isn't a good strategy regardless of how bad it is, so changing up in the off season is the better approach. So these minicamps and pre season will say alot about whether Philbin will change how the young guys block to not get called for holding
Jimmy once said his biggest surprise in the NFL was how difficult it was to implement anything new once the season started. That has to be even more difficult now with the modern era rules.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Look at the "missed" facemask out in the wide open that won us this game

Look at the "missed" fumble that changed momentum in the Panthers game we won

It's almost as if refs miss calls all around, don't they? Lol.

Of course they're going to miss calls. You still can't explain how they didn't call one holding penalty against Green Bay at AT&T Stadium. How about the missed face mask on Beasley in the Pittsburgh game where Zeke won it. Right in front of the refs. Things happen right in front of them and they don't do anything. How many roughing the passer calls were made in Romo's favor? Two or three in his entire career. He used to get the **** beat out of him. That's probably why he retired so early.

And why do we always have to hold our breath after we score a touchdown? Really takes the fun out of it. Those refs deserved everything thrown at them in our last playoff game. I wasn't embarrassed at all, in fact I was proud. It's been long overdue. Keep your sorry ***** out of our games.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Of course they're going to missed calls. You still can't explain how they didn't call one holding against Green Bay at AT&T Stadium. And why do we always have to hold our breath after we score a touchdown? Really takes the fun out of it.

Maybe we're undisciplined? Are you going to sit here and deny that Gregory tackled a guy for a hold with us trying to make a stop against SF in that playoff game? And then you know what happened on offense when we did get the ball back, right? We go and try to spot the ball ourselves instead of giving it to the official on a play where we're trying to spike the ball and time expires. You think that qualifies as undisciplined? But the refs hate us, right?

J_Allen

Reaction score
Maybe we're undisciplined? Are you going to sit here and deny that Gregory tackled a guy for a hold with us trying to make a stop against SF in that playoff game? And then you know what happened on offense when we did get the ball back, right? We go and try to spot the ball ourselves instead of giving it to the official on a play where we're trying to spike the ball and time expires. You think that qualifies as undisciplined? But the refs hate us, right?

There's no doubt about it that we're the most undisciplined team in the league. But this has been going on for years with the refs.

J_Allen

Reaction score

Remember the game against Washington where they called something against us that was so obscure that it hadn't been called in over 30 years?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There's no doubt about it that we're the most undisciplined team in the league. But this has been going on for years with the refs.

Funny. People said all the time that Garrett ran an undisciplined regime while he was here. How long was that? A decade, yes? Think those things are related?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Remember the game against Washington where they called something against us that was so obscure that it hadn't been called in over 30 years?

Remember the Tuck Rule that no one ever remembered being called before it showed up? Obscure things happen.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Funny. People said all the time that Garrett ran an undisciplined regime while he was here. How long was that? A decade, yes? Think those things are related?

To some extent but call the game fairly. If you're going to call the same penalties on us then call them against them. They don't do that. And it really makes my blood boil to see it touchdown called back when a flag was thrown after we scored. They make **** up and I can't believe Jerry Jones stands for it.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Remember the Tuck Rule that no one ever remembered being called before it showed up? Obscure things happen.

Exactly so the refs are bias for/against teams. They let New England get away with murder. Remember the Atlanta Super Bowl? Every time Atlanta stopped them on 3rd down I predicted a flag and every time it happened.

The problem is the scumbags hold biases and at the same time think everybody shows up and watches on TV to see them.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Exactly so the refs are bias for/against teams. They let New England get away with murder. Remember the Atlanta Super Bowl? Every time Atlanta stopped them on 3rd down I predicted a flag and every time it happened.

The problem is the scumbags hold biases and at the same time think everybody showed up and watches on TV to see them.

And yet they allowed the Giant helmet catch in the Super Bowl that time against the Patriots. They had 2 games to save the Patriots and didn't do it? Selective I guess.

J_Allen

Reaction score
And yet they allowed the Giant helmet catch in the Super Bowl that time against the Patriots. They had 2 games to save the Patriots and didn't do it? Selective I guess.

I don't remember the helmet catch but you can catch a ball with your helmet.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I don't remember the helmet catch but you can catch a ball with your helmet.

Sure you can but I'm saying it was the perfect chance to make a shoddy call to save the Patriots but they didn't. 2 games against the Giants they didn't. If they are biased for the Patriots, they don't cease to be on the payroll, right?