People Who Don't Drink

Bizwah

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread.

I'm not a drinker at all. Never have....never will. My mother had a lot of alcoholic family members. She always begged me never to try it.

I promised her I never would.

I've kept the promise. I'm 37 years old, and I'm a beer-virgin.

I don't feel I'm missing anything. I really enjoy my life.

Now, most of my friends in HS and College drank. And yes, I was the DD. They never gave me junk for my choice, and would often come to my defense when someone would give me a hard time for not drinking.

It's not for me.....But I don't have anything against anyone that does drink. I just ask that they respect my opinions as much as I respect theirs.

I think as long as you don't act like you're better, or more refined, than drinkers....and don't act holier-than-thou, they tend to not be intimidated.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
MonsterD;3832290 said:
How much do you know of Asperger's syndrome? I guess some people say it doesn't really exist. I wonder if I don't show signs of it from time to time, not always interested in people a ton as much as random things.

Decent amount. The problem with Autism Spectrum Disorder is that diagnosis is often clinic specific (i.e. someone else could give a different diagnosis elsewhere). I have a supervisor who would give almost all kids who come into his clinic a diagnosis of at minimum PDD-NOS, so that the child could get services, and another supervisor who is much more careful about diagnosis b/c of the stigma associated with autism spectrum disorder.

Also, the DSM-V is getting rid of Aspergers, PDD-NOS, and autism, and just lumping them all into Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's gonna suck from a research point of view, but clinically, not too bad b/c then you can definitely get services.

Reaction score
theogt;3831593 said:
I'm talking about the "black out" myth in which someone does a bunch of stupid things and then blames it on drinking saying they blacked out

Not true. At all. The alcohol does effect your decision making and does effect what you do. I know many, many girls who have done things at parties (if you catch my drift) when they were under they were under the influence that otherwise no way they would have done. These girls were angels. The drinking made them do these "stupid things" without a doubt. Plus, there are many people who get so intoxicated they have no clue what even went down the night before. It's happened to me, many times..

I don't know how you could even make yourself believe that BS.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3832352 said:
Not true. At all. The alcohol does effect your decision making and does effect what you do. I know many, many girls who have done things at parties (if you catch my drift) when they were under they were under the influence that otherwise no way they would have done. These girls were angels. The drinking made them do these "stupid things" without a doubt. Plus, there are many people who get so intoxicated they have no clue what even went down the night before. It's happened to me, many times..

I think it is in reference to short-term memory, which can be affected by alcohol. So, most likely they know exactly what they are doing in the moment, but later forgot it.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
In a younger day, I was a drinking man... either Jack Daniels or tequila, depending on my mood...

Then I got diagnosed with diabetes... haven't had a drink since then, and that's about 5 years ago...

Really, it wasn't that hard to give it up... for sure, I don't miss the hangovers... LOL...

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3832029 said:
Chances are it is deeper than just alcohol but does not change the fact that having too much to drink plays a role in it. I'm not for banning alcohol and I think whatever action you take sober or not is that persons own responsibility but there is no doubt in my mind that alcohol is a contributing factor in people’s behavior

Doomsday101;3832053 said:
If any substance contributes to non normal behavior then it is a problem. If you act one way when sober and act out of character when under the influence then it is playing a role. As far as I'm concerned it still comes down to a personal responsibility for their own actions but to act like it is not a contributing factor is a bit naive. I don’t think a gun changes a person’s personality

CanuckCowboysFan;3832352 said:

Good posts.

Some people are angry drunks, they get mad easy, want to fight, their manhood is easily challenged. They are not like this until they get drunk.

Some are sad drunks, they get melancholy, sad. They want to talk a lot, possibly cry. You don't see this side of them if they are not drunk.

Some are happy, funny drunks. They are fun to be around until they drink too much.

The point is, alcohol changes people and makes them do things that they would not do if not inebriated.

I just thought this was common knowledge, that everyone knew this, .. I guess not.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3832883 said:
Good posts.

Some people are angry drunks, they get mad easy, want to fight, their manhood is easily challenged. They are not like this until they get drunk.

Some are sad drunks, they get melancholy, sad. They want to talk a lot, possibly cry. You don't see this side of them if they are not drunk.

Some are happy, funny drunks. They are fun to be around until they drink too much.

The point is, alcohol changes people and makes them do things that they would not do if not inebriated.

I just thought this was common knowledge, that everyone knew this, .. I guess not.

It's absolutely ludicrous to think it doesn't

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
nyc;3831497 said:
I'm half Irish and half German. I think that speaks for itself as to where I stand. ;)

Ha, that's my exact same combo. I drink like a fish and enjoy it every time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bizwah;3832293 said:
This has been an interesting thread.

I'm not a drinker at all. Never have....never will. My mother had a lot of alcoholic family members. She always begged me never to try it.

I promised her I never would.

I've kept the promise. I'm 37 years old, and I'm a beer-virgin.

I don't feel I'm missing anything. I really enjoy my life.

Now, most of my friends in HS and College drank. And yes, I was the DD. They never gave me junk for my choice, and would often come to my defense when someone would give me a hard time for not drinking.

It's not for me.....But I don't have anything against anyone that does drink. I just ask that they respect my opinions as much as I respect theirs.

I think as long as you don't act like you're better, or more refined, than drinkers....and don't act holier-than-thou, they tend to not be intimidated.
Growing up, I had a buddy that sounds just like in this regard.

The guy fit right in, didn't mind us drinking, and was not remotely boring (or borish) because he did not drink. We were used to him after awhile and din't even notice...and yes, we loved that he could drive.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I don't care if you don't drink so long as you're not being pious about it.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
bbgun;3833309 said:
I don't care if you don't drink so long as you're not being pious about it.

Right, .. I rarely am any place that people are drinking, but I have to go to sports bars to see my Cowboys occasionally. :D

When in that environment I do not care at all if others drink. Their choice. None of my business.
I wish they didn't, but I would never tell them that.

I would even offer to drive someone home if needed.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
theres a scottish stand up summed up how drink is viewed here. can't remember the exact wording of it but basically when you meet your mates
"what you drinking?"
"i'm not?"
"whats wrong?"

pretty accurate

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been known to throw one or two back every now and again.

;)

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Stautner;3831727 said:
There is a maturity thing involved. In genearal (not always) younger people who drink have more of a problem with those that don't drink than older people. younger people are more likely (again, not always) to make drinking the central activity of their social lives, and therefore have more difficulty relating socially to those who don't drink. They are also more likely (again, not always) to drink to excess, making it more awkward to be around those who don't drink. As people get older it becomes less of an issue unless the older person in question is an alcoholic or still trying to live out his youth.

Best and most accurate post of the entire thread. The part I highlighted in bold, sums it up succinctly IMO.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
I quit drinking about 7 years ago when I came home drunk and picked up my infant son and ended up almost dropping him. I realized then there are more important things in life

tiny tim

Reaction score
I don't drink. If the subject does come up (and it's rare when it does) I would just say something like I don't drink.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I don't get how people can get past the awful taste of alchohol. I don't drink simply for the fact that it tastes terrible.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
tiny tim;3840704 said:
I don't drink. If the subject does come up (and it's rare when it does) I would just say something like I don't drink.

Would you say it once or twice? :laugh2:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I generally avoid people that don't drink on principle. I've found the majority are less likeable than people that drink on occasion, even the likeable tend towards dull. And people that don't drink "because they don't like the taste" generally have a poorly developed palate and appreciation for the finer things in life, so I don't hang out with them often at all since one of my main hobbies is eating good food and drinking good drink.